• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How Much Protection For Rear Cooler on Attak???

Tinman1944

VIP Member
I just added the rear cooler from Pioneer to my ATTAK and need to know how thick a tunnel/cooler protector to add. It has 1 1/4 inch stock track with (I believe) 1.375 Studs.

I added 1 3/8 inch total. I laminated straping and square tubeing. I also put an old slide on. You cut one edge off the slide. Don't go past the upper Bogey wheels because they'll rub. I ended just at the rear of the Bogeys.
I studded the track with Woodys Gold Diggers 1.325's .and so far no damage has occured.

Are you saying I need to add 1 3/8 inch below the new cooler?? As I see it the track ribs will hit the cooler protector, therefore approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch should protect the cooler. Correct me, if i am seeing something wrong. Otherwise you lose a whole lot of travel. Thanks!!

Lose the travel !!! From my experience last year you'll appreciate it. Do a search with me as an author to see what I had to go thru last year. With the stock tunnel protectors that came with the rear heat exchanger studs were still nicking the exchanger so we ended up adding more protection (about 1 1/2 " total). May get some travel back now though as I have replaced the studded track with an IceRipper (now if we could get some snow I'd give feedback on the new track!)

Mine are right on the protector. I haven't damaged anything so far. My kid ran the heck out of it last week with the moguls everywere here in NH (lack of snow).
He's right. That's why I did it. Because of Black Attak's expierence and others. Also I wouldn't go 1.4 either to play it safe. The Ripsaws have soft lugs so they bend. When they bend they allow the stud to extend further.

Good luck.

Its not so much that you lose travel, I can still bottom out my shock but under certain bump conditions you can feel the track rub the protectors. It is rare, but just turn up your preload a bit if necessary and enjoy the fact you can run in low snow conditions without overheating or damaging your heat exchanger. Fastening a slider on top of the protector in the tunnel extension is absolutely necessary with a 1 1/4 inch studded track. It is even necessary if you stud a stock 09 LTX.

I 2nd bigdog1000's reply. I installed a rear heat ex on my '06 Attak, had to attach a slider to the protectors for added clearance, the sacrifice in travel is worth it.
I wish the F Yamaha would A) Install enough heat exchangers to begin with & B) Engineer the sleds to easily accomodate studs.

I just came back from a grueling 80mi ride here. No snow,lot's of deep water bars and did I say no snow? Anyway I am about 300lbs. with gear and I bottomed out the Attak like I've never done in 2k miles..in this one spot. I wasn't paying attention and it got me bad. I got under and looked up and not a scratch on my coolers, or muffler cross shield.
I would have had a long tow and ride back considering were I was.

The point here is 1 3/8 at least.

Back