• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How necessary is a skid plate on the Nytro

Edit: yes the skidplate is from Yamaha, no to the previous question asking if it bulges up with ice and snow. It does some, but less without the bottom pan on their.

I'd say get one, this happened on one of my first rides. I havn't gotten one yet, but I really need to:

100_1205.jpg
[/img]

A buddy hit a rock covered with snow last year, just enough to nick the block, it shot him up in the air about 5 feet. Insurance paid the $4000 in damage, two weeks later, a seal went on the clutch side and shot oil all over the engine. Yamaha covered it as it is not a common problem. Two weeks after that the motor blew. Upon inspection, it seems the impact bent the shaft and that is what caused the engine failure. Needless to say, $6000 for a new engine, thanks insurance for paying that bill.

I have a skid plate on my sled. Whether it would have helped is anyone's guess, but it is cheap protection and i will always have one on all my sleds from here on out. My two cents.

A few years ago in one of the magazine ads for the Apex you could see a piece of the cover on the bottom of the engine broken off, couldn't believe they let that one slip. ALWAYS have a skid plate. First ride out with my XTX I hit something and cracked the rear of the skid plate by the heat exchanger, if I didn't have it I know I would have ripped up the exchanger.

With any of these afterthought skidplates or floatplates that just fasten on top of everything else they deform the OEM panels.......and you have to drill through the side panels to fasten these plates on. A better alternative will be out shortly. PM me if you're interested.

I just put the Skinz plate on mine last week....in the directions it gives a template to cut out of it, to let snow get out....after reading all the problems people have with the snow/ice buildup, i cut mine out. I went for a ride yesterday, where i was in ALOT of powder....when i got back home.... IT WAS PACKED!!! i cant help but think that hole i cut really screwed me. :o|

Roest said:
With any of these afterthought skidplates or floatplates that just fasten on top of everything else they deform the OEM panels.......and you have to drill through the side panels to fasten these plates on. A better alternative will be out shortly. PM me if you're interested.

Even the Yamaha Ultra Plate?

Maine-Rider said:
So with the Yamaha ultra plate mounted the side panels dont fit well?
Are you sure you have it installed right? I bought the Yamaha ultra skid plate and have no problems with the side panels. Guess I'd recomend to check your work again. Oh did you leave the stock skid plate on? Because your suppose to leave that on. Maybe show a pic of whats happening so we can try and give better advice to help.

nytro addict said:
Maine-Rider said:
Are you sure you have it installed right? I bought the Yamaha ultra skid plate and have no problems with the side panels. Guess I'd recomend to check your work again. Oh did you leave the stock skid plate on? Because your suppose to leave that on. Maybe show a pic of whats happening so we can try and give better advice to help.

I dont have one yet. Someone said the panels dont fit well. Im just trying to figure out if i should get one or not.

I put the ultra plate on, and everything still fits like a glove. No problems at all. I recommend them. I dont know why the ultra plate would effect the side panels...they go back on the same way as they did without the ultra plate.

Maine-Rider said:
nytro addict said:
Maine-Rider said:

I dont have one yet. Someone said the panels dont fit well. Im just trying to figure out if i should get one or not.
I have no problems with my side panels at all. And I would tottaly recommend a skid panel. This will help save your sub-frame from being damaged. Plus you never know what you may accidently hit or run over. This is always the first purchase I put on my sled. Learned lessons the hard way.

Back