• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to get 25 to 30 more HP out of 06 attack ?

search 1crazysledder he has one with no issues and even sunk it at the beginning of the year.I have drove it a few times.If you want to talk more search one of his threads.

Mike,

Thank your for being honest with your answer I respect that you do not want to do it any more some people have ask where you are Family is important and will always be important in life. I got into racing as a kid thanks to my father and have been around Yamaha's all my life. Because of watching you at Brainerd on your Vmax I got hook on racing a snowmobile on the drag strip. I have worked on everything from Dirt Late Models, 410 Sprint Cars and Super Gas drag cars and now I race my own stuff.

I also am here to not knock any one on this site if I did than I was in the wrong. This site has some of the best information around for we are each entitled to our own opinion on how a snowmobile can go faster. Sometimes we need to sit back and look at it from the other persons point of view to see what they our trying to say or mean. Yes a turbo or supercharger is the most cost efficient way to gain pure HP on a Four Stroke. I also agree with you that to make a Naturally Asperated Apex run cost a lot of money and would not be very reliable for the trail. The one thing I have found is and I think you will agree with me is that if you don't experiment and try different things we will never know if it makes a sled go faster or slower. I experimented with a lot of different gear ratios this winter I went all the way from a 26/38, 23/40, 24/40 and I ended up using a 25/40 for speed runs but all the diffrent gear combos did fully shift out and the speed difference in a 1000' was 1-2 MPH. The Apex makes so much torque that gearing is not that much of a change in that distance.

Hank

insane said:
Sorry to hyjack this thread, but has anyone had success with a supercharged trail sled? I have heard a bunch of horror stories about fuel ecconomy, dependability. Please direct me to a place to answer these questions (hopefully in this forum). Thanks guys.

Sure, go to the "4 Stroke Turbos/Superchargers" forum on the Totallyamaha Forum Index... about 1/2 way down.
TONS of boosted stuff there, way more than you can tolerate I'm sure.

wagmtrspts, well said... :rocks:

SledFreak said:
KnappAttack said:

Mike, no disrepect, but Ulmer has gotten 163-165 from dynotech with the airlid, PCIII/ignition controller and a pipe sled and my sled kills a stocker. Not even close. Most guys that ran the Apex in the Soo i-500 snowmobile race all were runnig like 170-185hp and they don't have 25,000.00 into the motor either. The R-1 makes 185 with the RAM AIR and you are telling me that the street bike guys have not found any more hp than that. That's hard to believe. You also stated before that their was no gain to be had from exhaust. Dynotech says there is....

Sure Boost is an option, but it's 7 grand to get it installed from CPR. Reliable? A local guy I know blew his up 4 times on his rx-1. Not sure what heppend, but all he told me was make sure the fuel is good. His name was John Stach. Not sure if you know him or not. He is an average drag racer..

Also, there is maintenace to it, that most don't know about and you need good premium fuel, which is hard to find up here in Canada or the U.P for that matter.

Sledfreak, I think you are mistaken. I went through 3 years of Dynotech reports (I am a subscriber) and don't see any report of Allen Ulmer testing those mods. I see where he tested the airbox and got 3 peak HP. I also see wher Aaron fro Excell tested his Muffler/pipe and got 1 peak HP. I also dyno'd the CR10EK Plugs and got about 1.5 HP gain throughout the powerband. IF all these mods were done they only add up to 5.5 HP. In conjunction with each other they may be more or less but not by much.

I did see where Allen tested the Airbox and Power Commander mod on the FX Nytro and gained 0 horsepower. That is probably why they are not selling that modded airbox for the FX Nytro.

Maybe you or Allen can post the "163-165" HP Dynosheet. Even if it happened, you are talking about $2000+ worth of mods for 13HP. For less than $1000 you can juice it and get an extra 100HP.

I agree 1000% with what Mike Knapp is saying.

Here you go.

We have not tested an exhaust on the dyno with the other combinations, we have only feild tested the setups with an Excell exhaust. I would rather quote HP slightly lower than tested and have a customer more happy with performance than claim a high number and have a customer disappointed!

Stock
6,500 - 86.2 hp
7,000 - 97.2 hp
7,500 - 103 hp
8,000 - 118 hp
8,500 - 126.9 hp
9,000 - 140.2 hp
9,500 - 143.4 hp
10,000 - 147.9 hp
10,500 - 150.9 hp
11,000 - 148 hp

Stock + CR10EK Plugs
6,500 - 88.2 hp
7,000 - 99.7 hp
7,500 - 104.3 hp
8,000 - 118 hp
8,500 - 127.2 hp
9,000 - 143.4 hp
9,500 - 145.1 hp
10,000 - 147.9 hp
10,500 - 153.1 hp
11,000 - 150.4 hp

Stock + CR10EK Plugs + MOD Air Box
6,500 - 89.7 hp
7,000 - 102.2 hp
7,500 - 105.4 hp
8,000 - 118.4 hp
8,500 - 128.8 hp
9,000 - 138.8 hp
9,500 - 146.3 hp
10,000 - 151.9 hp
10,500 - 156.2 hp
11,000 - 152.7 hp

Stock + CR10EK Plugs + MOD Air Box + PCIII + Ignition Module
6,500 - 94.4 hp
7,000 - 110.4 hp
7,500 - 109.4 hp
8,000 - 122.8 hp
8,500 - 134.1 hp
9,000 - 143.6 hp
9,500 - 148.1 hp
10,000 - 154.6 hp
10,500 - 159.9 hp
11,000 - 160.1 hp

This is straight off his page.

SledFreak said:
I never once said it was all peak.

SledFreak said:
Mike, no disrepect, but Ulmer has gotten 163-165 from dynotech with the airlid, PCIII/ignition controller and a pipe sled and my sled kills a stocker. Not even close. Most guys that ran the Apex in the Soo i-500 snowmobile race all were runnig like 170-185hp and they don't have 25,000.00 into the motor either. The R-1 makes 185 with the RAM AIR and you are telling me that the street bike guys have not found any more hp than that. That's hard to believe. You also stated before that their was no gain to be had from exhaust. Dynotech says there is....

stoutner said:
Sledfreak, I think you are mistaken. I went through 3 years of Dynotech reports (I am a subscriber) and don't see any report of Allen Ulmer testing those mods. I see where he tested the airbox and got 3 peak HP. I also see wher Aaron fro Excell tested his Muffler/pipe and got 1 peak HP. I also dyno'd the CR10EK Plugs and got about 1.5 HP gain throughout the powerband. IF all these mods were done they only add up to 5.5 HP. In conjunction with each other they may be more or less but not by much.

On a side note, I would wonder if that 1.5 extra hp added would be the same had you simply put in 'fresh' plugs??

If anyone questions the dyno calibration or anything else you will have to question Jim @ Dynotech and ask him if the calibration was off. The "stock" run sheets were done with the CR10EK plugs already installed as I did not have the original plugs along. The only other thing done to the sled was it had fully synthetic oil in it.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 174
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 150
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 274
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 268
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 165
These mods were tested in the field from this gentlemen, RTX Dude. I would have to say, the claimed no HP that some are saying that comes from these mods, surely show an increase in mph in the field.

Here is his words. You can dispute it if you want, but I don't believe he has reason to lie.

"Over the weekend, I had time to finally test my mods in a step by step add on to see what each acheived in top end performance.
I used a snow covered plowed forest road, 1/3 mile run for my test area.
all speeds verified with gps

first run all- stock 108mph
second run- air box mod 109mph
third run-air box mod with ram air 110mph

Switched exhaust to sno stuff rumble pack
first run with exhaust mod- 110mph
second run with ram air box and exhaust mod- 113mph
third run with ram air, exhaust mod, pc111 and ignition mod 118mph

With $1300.00 spent so far, you can see how much I have gained or not. Each mod had some effect on my top end speeds. All runs were a easy start to about 40 mph then to full throttle as I have only 96 studs.
I did not lower my sled or suspension or remove my shaper bars. if I had done this, I may have seen another 2-3mph. But this was done with a trail sled setup, stock clutch, and shimmed secondary with new 8dn belt.
I also have not installed my 23t gear as I did not have the time.
I hope this test, answers alot of questions as to what do you gain with these mods? We all ask, now I hope I have given some answers to this.
Also, I weigh 280 pounds!"

He also notes, that, this was done with the stock clutching and gearing. Just because the dyno does not show the big gains or hp like a turbo, does not mean it's not working in the field.

SledFreak said:
These mods were tested in the field from this gentlemen, RTX Dude. I would say the claimed no HP, that you some are saying that comes from these mods, surely show an increase in mph in the field.

Here is his words. You can dispute it if you want, but I don't believe he has reason to lie.

"Over the weekend, I had time to finally test my mods in a step by step add on to see what each acheived in top end performance.
I used a snow covered plowed forest road, 1/3 mile run for my test area.
all speeds verified with gps

first run all- stock 108mph
second run- air box mod 109mph
third run-air box mod with ram air 110mph

Switched exhaust to sno stuff rumble pack
first run with exhaust mod- 110mph
second run with ram air box and exhaust mod- 113mph
third run with ram air, exhaust mod, pc111 and ignition mod 118mph

With $1300.00 spent so far, you can see how much I have gained or not. Each mod had some effect on my top end speeds. All runs were a easy start to about 40 mph then to full throttle as I have only 96 studs.
I did not lower my sled or suspension or remove my shaper bars. if I had done this, I may have seen another 2-3mph. But this was done with a trail sled setup, stock clutch, and shimmed secondary with new 8dn belt.
I also have not installed my 23t gear as I did not have the time.
I hope this test, answers alot of questions as to what do you gain with these mods? We all ask, now I hope I have given some answers to this.
Also, I weigh 280 pounds!"

Also he notes, that this was done with the stock clutching and gearing. Just because the dyno does not show the big gains like a turbo, does not mean it's not working in the field.

Well said.

Jim at Dynotech is awesome, his data is reliable...

Hey, maybe we need another friendly backyard unofficial "trail mod shootout" next year, like we did for the boosted trail sleds on 4th Lake in Old Forge in Feb, so we can compare naturally aspirated mods as well?

NICE... I learned alot there , and met some great TYers.

I sure am interested, I will be doing my own field testing and dyno'ing this "off season" on my stocker as well...

Hey mbarryracing thats a great idea! It would be neat to see some real world results from what different sleds people have and have done to them and then post them on here for everyone to see like RTXDUDE did.

Back