• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hurricane blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

At Hurricane Performance,we have strived for years to build a better engine for the Yamahas.The foundation of these engines are the blocks.We have, over the years, focused on the blocks finding the weak link and then learning how to improve upon it.It has truely been an evolution over time.The blocks have been improved as the need has been realized.In the beginning,the weak link in the blocks were at the bottom of the studs.They were prone to cracking under the stress of boost.We found a way to make them stronger and it worked well.We also found that the cylinders would go out of round under high cylinder pressures so we removed the stock RX1 aluminum sleeves and installed ductile iron.We apply the same to Apex blocks.And so on as the years have gone by. Last year we boosted our own engine to 32lbs boost for the season of radar running trouble free till the last day when we turned up the boost to find the next weak spot.At 38lbs boost,we broke the block just like Ringer.We know that on dynos that 32lbs boost is making 525 real HP at a rate of nearly 11hp per pound of boost.As a result of the new found weak link,we developed a way to incorporate a steel strap to the stator side of the block to strengthen that side of the block.This year we made 550hp for the season with our engine and never did brake the block.
We try hard to improve as time goes by but nothing is indistructable.Including the Hurricane block.Detonation kills.In the case of the block of Ringers,it is not a defect in my eyes.The crack is due to high cylinder pressures caused by boost mixed with NOS and undoubtably tune resulting in detonation.There is no doupt that detonation has been the cause of the crack.
For a year and a half,I've been given alot of trouble from Ringer through Gunnerthesnowman for a bill that I issued apon the assemble of Ringers engine.That has been the root of contraversy from Ringer and Gunner towards me.The bill was to set the internal clearances,cam timing and such.Not assembly.Even with the stressed relationship,I would stand behind the engine if a workmanship issue was at hand.This is not workmanship.This is stress.Generally I would still help out a good customer anyway but he has certainly not been good to me.I don't feel that there is anything that I can do to please this group.
Dave Marshall

HURRICANE said:
At Hurricane Performance,we have strived for years to build a better engine for the Yamahas.The foundation of these engines are the blocks.We have, over the years, focused on the blocks finding the weak link and then learning how to improve upon it.It has truely been an evolution over time.The blocks have been improved as the need has been realized.In the beginning,the weak link in the blocks were at the bottom of the studs.They were prone to cracking under the stress of boost.We found a way to make them stronger and it worked well.We also found that the cylinders would go out of round under high cylinder pressures so we removed the stock RX1 aluminum sleeves and installed ductile iron.We apply the same to Apex blocks.And so on as the years have gone by. Last year we boosted our own engine to 32lbs boost for the season of radar running trouble free till the last day when we turned up the boost to find the next weak spot.At 38lbs boost,we broke the block just like Ringer.We know that on dynos that 32lbs boost is making 525 real HP at a rate of nearly 11hp per pound of boost.As a result of the new found weak link,we developed a way to incorporate a steel strap to the stator side of the block to strengthen that side of the block.This year we made 550hp for the season with our engine and never did brake the block.
We try hard to improve as time goes by but nothing is indistructable.Including the Hurricane block.Detonation kills.In the case of the block of Ringers,it is not a defect in my eyes.The crack is due to high cylinder pressures caused by boost mixed with NOS and undoubtably tune resulting in detonation.There is no doupt that detonation has been the cause of the crack.
For a year and a half,I've been given alot of trouble from Ringer through Gunnerthesnowman for a bill that I issued apon the assemble of Ringers engine.That has been the root of contraversy from Ringer and Gunner towards me.The bill was to set the internal clearances,cam timing and such.Not assembly.Even with the stressed relationship,I would stand behind the engine if a workmanship issue was at hand.This is not workmanship.This is stress.Generally I would still help out a good customer anyway but he has certainly not been good to me.I don't feel that there is anything that I can do to please this group.
Dave Marshall
I don,t think you should be giving Ringer bad customer service because of anything i said , i hardly know the guy , sounds like a cop out to me , the info about the billing did not come from Ringer , all i stated was that it was not rigth that someone had to pay for the assembly twice because of a defect in the block ,and its news to me the setting the clearances / cam timing etc. was not part of the assembly of a engine and a $1000.00 to set just the clearances.
The root of the contraversy between you and me started when i payed you $1500.00 for a set of cams and my engine builder had concerns with the cams and you would not talk to him , the only customer service i got from you was for me to send the cams back if i have not ran them ( which you new i had ) or send my engine to you for assembly ($500.00 for shipping and i hate to see your total engine assembly bill ) and i was not willing to do this as i was already paying my engine builder , so don,t cop out on Ringer because of of the contraversy between you and me .

PS
TY , hope you do not lock out this tread as you did the last one , i had not said anything about Hurricane on open forum since you worned me it was TYs members site rules , what are the rules for your payed advertisor members , since Dave ( Hurricane ) thinks he should be ably to use my name to defend his side on open forum , i should be ably to do
the same.
Hurricane does have my phone #
Gunner

Whatever you disagree on, I would not have it here in the open forum. Take it personally or else I have no other option than locking down this thread as well.

Sincerely
rxrider
TY Management

well , well mr dave marshall , You say i have not been good to you hey , i got an engine from you that had issues from the start had to send it back to you to reset the sleeves , among other head /cam issues , finally up and running mid february , rode my sled 1000km alot of trail etc to get to the hills , have made maybe 20 good pullls up the hills and running 18lbs of boost , i used my 40hp shot of nos 4 times while drag racing for short spurts , so i figure the most hp i was putting through would be about 330-350hp , now i have a cracked block , and your telling me if i was nicer to you you would help me out ? give me a break dave , i am a very easy going guy for those who know me , if this all happened to you would not want some answers dave , the only reason i went with your block cause it was going to make that part of the motor stronger as i was worried about the cylinders egging , now your addding extra support to the areas where mine broke but your saying the problem is all me and i am hard to please
chime in hear anyone saying that if i am in the wrong here i just want some answers dave , dont try and take me down for that , i was calm about all this but your last thread has got me reved up , i am sure this thread will be locked soon

rxrider said:
Whatever you disagree on, I would not have it here in the open forum. Take it personally or else I have no other option than locking down this thread as well.

Sincerely
rxrider
TY Management

I agree , let leave this thread alone and have this thread stay for others to see , if you have ? or concerns start another thread or use PM.

Ok,you say that you guy's are not together so lets deal with you separatly.Ringer,we did have issues with your block.You sent me your engine and I repaired it.I was asked by Jeff to set the clearances,cams,etc and he would pay me to do so.I did.There was no charge for assembly.No other issues to my knowledge.No cam and head issues.Now you have a broken block.Ok,what will you need to make you happy.How can I help.Can this be reasonable.This sh@# needs to end.
Gunner,you wanted me to refund a set of cams that I thought was new.You said that they were not defective.You did not say that they were used.I heard that later.You wanted me to call your engine guy.I was in Jamaca on holidays at the time so I said no.You said,quote,I WILL DOG YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.You have been true to your word.This is over a set of used cams that were not defective.So now what do I have to do with you.Whats it going to take to make you happy.

ringer said:
well , well mr dave marshall , You say i have not been good to you hey , i got an engine from you that had issues from the start had to send it back to you to reset the sleeves , among other head /cam issues , finally up and running mid february , rode my sled 1000km alot of trail etc to get to the hills , have made maybe 20 good pullls up the hills and running 18lbs of boost , i used my 40hp shot of nos 4 times while drag racing for short spurts , so i figure the most hp i was putting through would be about 330-350hp , now i have a cracked block , and your telling me if i was nicer to you you would help me out ? give me a break dave , i am a very easy going guy for those who know me , if this all happened to you would not want some answers dave , the only reason i went with your block cause it was going to make that part of the motor stronger as i was worried about the cylinders egging , now your addding extra support to the areas where mine broke but your saying the problem is all me and i am hard to please
chime in hear anyone saying that if i am in the wrong here i just want some answers dave , dont try and take me down for that , i was calm about all this but your last thread has got me reved up , i am sure this thread will be locked soon

THE NOS IS WHY THE BLOCK BROKE.... NOS is like using a sledge hammer VS boost is very soft power.....

years ago we use NOS to LAUNCH with, then tried using it down track and would crack block every time (20 HP SHOT) and just a TAP on the NOS button) there is way to much to explain on here but with NOS you need to have NO back pressure at all if you do you will brake something.. so should you want to use NOS again go 1 size up on the exhaust housing...but I bet you will still brake blocks.

we are using 40 -43 pounds of boost at times and are not braking our blocks, deto is the problem.. if you deto at 10 pounds you will brake something... for sure I am sure between me or Dave we broke more blocks than you would ever guess..

BETTER to just use a bigger turbo...

GOOD LUCK,

Jim, I played with nitrous and boost for a while and only thing is to control timing for the nitrous, and avoid nitrous in too low rpms (too much pressure)

anyway, no real need for this with good turbo setup. :)

40hp nitrous at 7K rpm no timing retard much much worse
than 75hp nitrous at 10500rpm with timing retard.

HURRICANE said:
Ok,you say that you guy's are not together so lets deal with you separatly.Ringer,we did have issues with your block.You sent me your engine and I repaired it.I was asked by Jeff to set the clearances,cams,etc and he would pay me to do so.I did.There was no charge for assembly.No other issues to my knowledge.No cam and head issues.Now you have a broken block.Ok,what will you need to make you happy.How can I help.Can this be reasonable.This sh@# needs to end.
Gunner,you wanted me to refund a set of cams that I thought was new.You said that they were not defective.You did not say that they were used.I heard that later.You wanted me to call your engine guy.I was in Jamaca on holidays at the time so I said no.You said,quote,I WILL DOG YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.You have been true to your word.This is over a set of used cams that were not defective.So now what do I have to do with you.Whats it going to take to make you happy.

no charge for assembly? i guess thats between you and jeff thats not what i was told but that is no concern of mine since the cost was not past on to me quantum ate the cost on that , dave all i want from you is a stock block how much can you get me one for
i asked you about nos last year you said no problem but y not just turn up the boost , i never used the nos this year yet so if nos broke it it was last year that happened

onestopjim said:
ringer said:

THE NOS IS WHY THE BLOCK BROKE.... NOS is like using a sledge hammer VS boost is very soft power.....

years ago we use NOS to LAUNCH with, then tried using it down track and would crack block every time (20 HP SHOT) and just a TAP on the NOS button) there is way to much to explain on here but with NOS you need to have NO back pressure at all if you do you will brake something.. so should you want to use NOS again go 1 size up on the exhaust housing...but I bet you will still brake blocks.

we are using 40 -43 pounds of boost at times and are not braking our blocks, deto is the problem.. if you deto at 10 pounds you will brake something... for sure I am sure between me or Dave we broke more blocks than you would ever guess..

BETTER to just use a bigger turbo...

GOOD LUCK,

i used nos for 3 years on my rx 1 with rods and pistons and 22lbs of boost its still running today
iam sure i am not the only one that has used nos
no one ever told me nos will kill these sleds instantaly ?

i dont need a bigger turbo i am not running anything of mine to its limit
i know jim and dave have broke many blocks thats why you are the guys we go to to give us the product to handle the power we put through these
thanks for your input jim any info is greatly appreciated to me

Nos and low RPM

You said it Jim! Nos at 40 HP shot at 10,000 rpm is nothing to worry about.
But touch that button at 5000 RPM to spool up RPM and it's like throwing a bomb in side that motor.
Run a switch so nos won't come on until full throttle!
I am staying out of this one but I will try to help explain what could have happen.
Some guys are still sledding and must be getting hot out so have a cold one and Racing motors blow up!
150 to 350 is pretty good.
500 hp is crazy when you really think about it.
I like the race CNC block!!

HURRICANE said:

Well Dave i do not remember it going like that , i do remember sending this PM ,
TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index
Sent :: Message
To: HURRICANE
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 am
Subject: Re: Trying to get ahold of you .
HURRICANE wrote:
Curtis
I have talked to Dave at Powderlites.This is why I wanted your head sent to me.Please send it and I will set it up for you.I will not be calling your Suzuki mechanic from Jamaca.We have MANY cams out working well as Ringer has shown you.

Hi Dave , I did not know where you were on vocation and understand why you would not call Chuck from Jamacia , i will not be sending my head to you as we do have mechanics here in Alberta that do know how to work on these engine as well ( and Chuck is one of the best when it comes to this engine ) and if you do not beleave me call Jeff at Quantum Velocty , He gets Chuck to do all there head work .
As for the performance of the our cams i was not ?ing that as i did get to run them and the performance is unreal , but what i am ? ing is the reliability/longivity of the valve train , performance is one thing and we would like to get all we can , but we can not do it at the cost of relialility/ longivity of the engine , as we are building mountain sled that do get many hours of riding on them in the backcountry, not drag sleds that get 4-6 second runs at the track by guys that do sacrifice reliability for performance to get the win , as for Derrens ( Ringer ) sled he has be out once with his sled , i don,t think this is any proof of anything .
Thanks
Curtis

I have them all save , if you would of been will to work with me ( us ) then , you would not have me dogging you now ,.

Re: Nos and low RPM

powderlites said:
You said it Jim! Nos at 40 HP shot at 10,000 rpm is nothing to worry about.
But touch that button at 5000 RPM to spool up RPM and it's like throwing a bomb in side that motor.
Run a switch so nos won't come on until full throttle!
I am staying out of this one but I will try to help explain what could have happen.
Some guys are still sledding and must be getting hot out so have a cold one and Racing motors blow up!
150 to 350 is pretty good.
500 hp is crazy when you really think about it.
I like the race CNC block!!

i have not hit my nos until i am full throttle ripping up the hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back