• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I'm Done. Thanks for nothing Yamaha.

snowpromod said:
Kinger - I think the new body would look pretty wicked in the White Marble :)!!!

Me too!!!! Now they just need to fill my need for power I'm too used to 250hp I rode a new vector with the 130hp mill in it and while it was a stump puller it was no Supercharged Apex! Man I love my sled. HAHA

If I get a itch for something new it will definitly be a boosted viper. Best looking, handling sled I think anyone could have created. :yam:

Lets not forget, Yamaha is now selling the most expensive component of a snowmobile to another manufacturer, that in turn means more revenue which means more money for R&D. Yamaha is also getting some new technologies which will most likely help them gain more market share, again more money for R&D.

Win win for Yamaha.

Also a win for AC, more revenue by having a proven engine which in turn means less money lost for repairs that are covered under warranty.

How does Yamaha lose here?

marq said:
fourload said:
Looks nice. What hp and what weight?? Yamaha motor and clutches. Sounds like a win. I am sure lots of R&D went into the package being it is a totally new engine and clutch package. Also I am sure improvements were made in the chassis.

It's the 1049cc Nytro motor. The only thing that appears to be new is the 3-1 manifold and exhaust

Wonder if it lost any HP going to this exhaust.......they dont seem to be very forthcoming with weights or HP numbers.

F7 Racer said:
marq said:
fourload said:
Looks nice. What hp and what weight?? Yamaha motor and clutches. Sounds like a win. I am sure lots of R&D went into the package being it is a totally new engine and clutch package. Also I am sure improvements were made in the chassis.

It's the 1049cc Nytro motor. The only thing that appears to be new is the 3-1 manifold and exhaust

Wonder if it lost any HP going to this exhaust.......they dont seem to be very forthcoming with weights or HP numbers.

hp should be increased it looks like its running a full closed loop system now see the wide band a/f sensor in the exaust + i read somewhere it will take 91oct so that would mean higher comp & more power.my only issue with this is it looks like a cat,mabey thats trivial but i dont want a sled that looks like a cat.i think the sled looks cool but it looks like a cat plain & simple wish the would have made there own plastic.

4strokes are better than2 said:
hp should be increased it looks like its running a full closed loop system now see the wide band a/f sensor in the exaust + i read somewhere it will take 91oct so that would mean higher comp & more power.my only issue with this is it looks like a cat,mabey thats trivial but i dont want a sled that looks like a cat.i think the sled looks cool but it looks like a cat plain & simple wish the would have made there own plastic.

IMHO, the new Cats look like the styling is a cross between an RX1/Apex and the original Viper.

Boost will be an easy aftermarket addition if you need/want it. Not everyone does. Time and time again, the aftermarket takes care of the personalization and HP expectations of sled owners. This is nothing new.

There are more bone-stock snowmobiles out there in the world than modified ones by a long shot. It is impossible to build a one-size-fits-all sled. Period.

Kudos to Yamaha.

Begining of the end for Yamaha within 3 years they will be an engine supplier!

U guys think that ac shot them selves in the foot with this one? i mean ac die hards now have the choise to stick with there chasis but with a better engine . maybe this merge will end up bitting arctic cat in the ars .

I would like to take one for ride on the tight and twisty trails we have here at home to see how it handles. Kind of like the looks of it from the pictures. That motor set up should be a great combo if the chain case holds together. It should be a win win only time will tell.
Now they should have demo rides of them for us!! :jump:

Richie R

I REALLY like this sled, everything about it is begging for me to buy it!! but.. then I talked to 3 of my friends who have purchased this chassis from Cat this year (2x 1100T and one 800) and of the three, two have bent their rails, two have replaced their chaincases and all three chew through $200.00 belts like they're candy. Hopefully they do some strengthening on the rails and chaincase and we all know Yamaha clutches are solid. I'm in for an XTX SE.. but not the first year model.

I'll let the 'eager beavers'; you know the ones calling the nay-sayers crybabies, go through the inevitable teething and quality control problems that AC brings into the mix for at least the first year to see if Yamaha can teach them fellers in Thief River Falls how to manufacture.

p.s. Each of my friends said something along the lines of, 'best sled I've ever ridden for the two weeks that it lasted until I had to fix something..' One has already gone back to Doo.

I think it's an awesome idea, I hope it proves to still be Yamaha reliable all around. I plan on upgrading in the next couple years, as of now I would go for the Apex because I love my RX1, she's just a little hefty after running her hard in tight trails. But I enjoy the workout. If the Viper turns out to be a great sled I might have to go that way and crank up the HP. 150 is even getting a little boring for me..

For what it's worth, and my .02 to all this. Personally, all of you guys that are whining about should really bite your tounges until you've fully understood what's going on here.
1.It's probably no secret that Yamaha will claim they are an engine builder first, and they happen (poor coice of words, IDK) to build sleds too. I'm sure that the majority of snowmobilers as a whole, not singling out any brand loyalists in particular, will say that Yamaha motors are probably the best in the business.
2. Now for the last however many years, I'm quite sure they have heard the voices of Yamaha riders crying for a better chassis, suspension, lower weight, more power, yadda yadda..
3. Now take into consideration the number of lower than usual snow years, the tsunami (as mentioned here earlier), the fact that sleds simply last longer and many people keep them longer than in years past (remember when a 6k mile sled was near the end of it's life?), and there's not as many people buying a new one every year or two. I still ride my '06 Apex with less than 4000 miles on it, and other than the power steering and Float suspension, why buy a new one when I've sunk a pile of $$ over the years modding the one I have?
4. Yamaha is already the smallest market share of the snowmobiling industry the last I looked, with Cat in 3rd? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one please, cause my info may not be current on that.
5. AS i stated before, and everybody knows, Yamaha needs a change to satisfy some of their customers. I also have a very close friend that is a Cat dealer (which I've never bought a sled from however and I've heard him comment numerous times that Cat has been struggling with engine suppliers, parts supplies for warranty, etc and he's been frustrated for a few years now. He usually stocks 100+ sleds every year and more than that in ATV's, so he has a pretty good relationship with Cat and still struggles with things.
If the two smallest brands each have strong points yet have a need to fill a market and solve internal manufacturing and supply issues in a down market, it makes perfect sense to combine the strenghts of each company! Remember the Ford Ranger/ Mazda B2000. The Chevy Nova/Toyota Corola, the newer Dodge chassis cab/ Sterling? This type of thing is done all the time, with good success for both companies! I can only assume that Cat will be using the same sled with it's own brand identity, and with common parts between both brands, it can only be a great opportunity for the aftermarket as well!

After seeing the release photos, I called as many of my local friends who ride the new Cat chassis sleds and asked what, if anything, the dislike about the way the chassis rides. Out of the 4 people I called, not one has anything bad to say about it, other than they have had motor issues or simple things not related to the chassis. One friend did point out that the rails look as if they will be much stronger than before, and that they do look different than what he has on his Crossfire. He also stated that coming from an F1000 to the Crossfire, it's a night and day difference, and it really takes the nasty stuff better than anything he's ever ridden. I personally don't have experience with anything newer than my old ZRT, other than with the Cat dealer being 3 miles from me, Cats are everywhere in my area. there isn't a Doo or Poo dealer within 60-70 miles of here, it's just Yamaha and Cat, so this works great for me!

For those of you who think this is a sell out, a cop-out, a short cut or whatever, you couldn't be further from correct. This is in reality a pair of companies that are committed to their customers , now jointly, to offer an improvement in performance, reliability at a competitieve price, when they couldve listened to the bean counters telling them times are too tough to tame and started simply dropping models one by one and potentially consider leaving the sled market all together.... I read several differect articles today that have predicted 10-20% sales increases due to the new sled for both brands, and a huge positive boost for both, and I for one will be trying to get in the front of the line to buy!
I personally see more Doo and Poo owners coming to this new sled under either name than leaving Yamaha or Cat for a Poo or Doo, so for the few of you guys that want to b!t@# about it, go do it somewhere else! If you truly "bleed blue" as your anger suggests, and simply want to spaz and take your ball and go elsewhere, you really couldn't have been very loyal in the first place?

Well said Nate, I have one of those hated Nytro's and for me it is a great sled and I think the new Viper series will be even better. Maybe all the naysayers should get an engineerng degree, start their own company and build snowmobiles the right way since they have all the answers. In today's venaculiar, man up and show us how it's done.