• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

Hopefully, it looks nothing like that. That is not an attractive sled!

Yea but it would destroy these stand up rider style sleds in a heartbeat on the trail.
FYI these things handle like garbage in the corners especially if you put a bar riser on them. The reason we will never see a sled like this again is two fold, people don’t like to bend their knees, it’s not comfortable position for long miles and people want to look cool like they are snowcross racers or something.

Trust me I can smoke through the corners literally twice as fast as my 2015 viper with RR skid on my old 1996 skidoo formula with an M-10 rear skid and cat snopro front shocks.

5D3313CD-EE7C-47C8-A9E1-8E58B53C36B2.jpeg
78F9BACD-CC80-49DB-9F27-B0D3B5808170.gif

Look familiar?
I’d buy one in a heartbeat, cuz I’m not a snocross racer, I’m a trail rider.

Too bad they didn’t make something like this, it would have been a real trail burner!

Yea but it would destroy these stand up rider style sleds in a heartbeat on the trail.
FYI these things handle like garbage in the corners especially if you put a bar riser on them. The reason we will never see a sled like this again is two fold, people don’t like to bend their knees, it’s not comfortable position for long miles and people want to look cool like they are snowcross racers or something.

Trust me I can smoke through the corners literally twice as fast as my 2015 viper with RR skid on my old 1996 skidoo formula with an M-10 rear skid and cat snopro front shocks.

View attachment 153122 View attachment 153123

Look familiar?
I’d buy one in a heartbeat, cuz I’m not a snocross racer, I’m a trail rider.

What is interesting is you said bend their knees. The reason I do not like the Cat chassis and almost all forward machines is they bend my knees to much. I find the Apex and even My Warrior with an Apex seat on it more comfortable for sit down riding. My knees are shot to the point that I do not stand up. Sleds today are basicly stand up sleds and those that are not such as two up touring shove the driver forward and bend the knees more. I can live with the riding a sled like a top heavy fourwheeler but I need to stretch out my knees. Last thing I could ever do is put my feet under me unless the raise the seat another foot or two. My old Cat 600 in the real tight twisty trails was very quick. Bumps not so much

What is interesting is you said bend their knees. The reason I do not like the Cat chassis and almost all forward machines is they bend my knees to much. I find the Apex and even My Warrior with an Apex seat on it more comfortable for sit down riding. My knees are shot to the point that I do not stand up. Sleds today are basicly stand up sleds and those that are not such as two up touring shove the driver forward and bend the knees more. I can live with the riding a sled like a top heavy fourwheeler but I need to stretch out my knees. Last thing I could ever do is put my feet under me unless the raise the seat another foot or two. My old Cat 600 in the real tight twisty trails was very quick. Bumps not so much
I understand that. 3 06 apex and 2 vectors, and my sw yesterday for a nice quick 90 miler through woods, creeks (hate friggin mud) groomed trails..typical upstate NY country riding. The 06 vector had a wrp seat, so the other rider (both early 30's) hates his stock 05 and will get a wrp. They have all ridden the sidewinder, and do not like the fact it pushes you up to the cowling. On our big fields, coming out of a woods or corner, you want to be all the way back and down as you paste it to the bars, or you get left behind. Moguls, sure, I'll stand once in a while, but not at 80 + in the open, or big sweepers! I will say once I get the sw hooked up ( no one follows me close..) I can reel the stock apexs in at will, and we still love them for our riding. Lower is better around here. Still don't like the occasional inside ski pop up, bit some is the curves. My sw is as low as I can get it, and a well set up apex handles pretty flat under power. Another observation, they run great all the time on 87 octane. I put 93 mobil with ethanol (sw) and had a few backfires, then put in sunoco ethanol free 91 and it was like another 20 hp...apexs can run on snowballs for fuel...lol.
Bottom line, I love them BOTH.

I understand that. 3 06 apex and 2 vectors, and my sw yesterday for a nice quick 90 miler through woods, creeks (hate friggin mud) groomed trails..typical upstate NY country riding. The 06 vector had a wrp seat, so the other rider (both early 30's) hates his stock 05 and will get a wrp. They have all ridden the sidewinder, and do not like the fact it pushes you up to the cowling. On our big fields, coming out of a woods or corner, you want to be all the way back and down as you paste it to the bars, or you get left behind. Moguls, sure, I'll stand once in a while, but not at 80 + in the open, or big sweepers! I will say once I get the sw hooked up ( no one follows me close..) I can reel the stock apexs in at will, and we still love them for our riding. Lower is better around here. Still don't like the occasional inside ski pop up, bit some is the curves. My sw is as low as I can get it, and a well set up apex handles pretty flat under power. Another observation, they run great all the time on 87 octane. I put 93 mobil with ethanol (sw) and had a few backfires, then put in sunoco ethanol free 91 and it was like another 20 hp...apexs can run on snowballs for fuel...lol.

I loved every sled I ever owned, even the crappy ones. My 74 Moto-Ski had a nice soft ride but with its rubberized cleated track it got stuck in a ft of snow. It could not climb anything and sliding backwards down a hundred ft climb up off a lake got old fast. Always fixing broken cleats sucked but I still loved it. That BSE 440 engine sang sweet and always started and ran. Even with its shortcomings it was fun to ride. Really is that not what it is all about? We just want to ride. I like speed but do not have to be the fastest, I like railing corners but I don't have to be the quickest. I like cruising from hotel to hotel and will lead follow or ride in the middle smiling all the way. I think my biggest problem now is my age and today's sleds. They just don't fit me anymore. I will join the ranks of the used to ride and leave the sledding to the youngsters. Tried to break open a trail. Damn near died. I'm just getting to old for this #*$&@.

I agree on your observations about the octane numbers! I ran the highest number i could get last winter....The lowest this winter (87),,,Absolutely no difference in performance!

I loved every sled I ever owned, even the crappy ones. My 74 Moto-Ski had a nice soft ride but with its rubberized cleated track it got stuck in a ft of snow. It could not climb anything and sliding backwards down a hundred ft climb up off a lake got old fast. Always fixing broken cleats sucked but I still loved it. That BSE 440 engine sang sweet and always started and ran. Even with its shortcomings it was fun to ride. Really is that not what it is all about? We just want to ride. I like speed but do not have to be the fastest, I like railing corners but I don't have to be the quickest. I like cruising from hotel to hotel and will lead follow or ride in the middle smiling all the way. I think my biggest problem now is my age and today's sleds. They just don't fit me anymore. I will join the ranks of the used to ride and leave the sledding to the youngsters. Tried to break open a trail. Damn near died. I'm just getting to old for this #*$&@.
I know the feeling. I buried the sw a week ago Friday night heading home alone...figured I'd die in those drifted woods...called the other old fart and his son in law for rescue but did get it out on my own...lol...they couldn't believe it. They actually brough shovels, and then followed me home...didn't need to..but when they went back through someone stole one if the shovels...lmao!!! No where's near a road, so they had to be on sleds. Assholes..lol!
Next morning got this stuck too..but got out and chewed it down. Its fun even riding this old skandic! Just a disease I suppose.
2020-02-10 11.05.18.jpg

I'll just leave this here...M-10 takes some off the top end but such a sweet ride! Still have it, so much fun!
View attachment 153868
I have an M10 in my apex … With all this Cat/ Yamaha non japan built stuff Ill Never sell my Apex! Yes, I own a viper and it rides great but all the cat DNA under the hood and in driveline ect is driving me nuts.

I'll just leave this here...M-10 takes some off the top end but such a sweet ride! Still have it, so much fun!
View attachment 153868

Now that’s one great handling SOB! All this talk about how well the Skidoo’s and Polaris’s handle, well I’ve got news. You get on that tank hugger SRX with an M-10 and it’s game over in the twistys. Rides the big stuff like a dream too!
FYI a set of arctic cat sno pro shocks from 1999 ZR have the correct body and shaft length, rebuild them and now you have clickers up front. ;)!

Back