• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

It's only struggling because of lack of consistent snow and I feel that's why the industry as a whole is in the red, more so then prices. If there was 2 or 3 good old fashioned winters in a row for the mid west and the east, people would buy new sleds no problem and we would not be talking about this. But I truly feel it's a smart move for Yamaha in 19 and cat in 20 and im going to assume yamaha in 20 as well to build only what people buy first. Until the snow comes back there is no sense in building anything else.
That maybe true in NY but not in Northern WI we have been up to ours butts in snow for the month of February. I just came back inside from blowing 20 inches in a blizzard warning I couldn’t even get to the trails probably 3 feet between me and the trails maybe more in 50mph winds. Roads closed Eagle River declared a state emergency no place to put the snow probably have to load and haul away. More snow forecast for Tuesday another biggy next Saturday. We always have rideable snow here and the UPMI. I see impulse buying sleds up here everyday. A sled breaks down needs work guys on vacation buys a sled off display floor on the snow in an hour. Really bad idea not to have display sleds on the floor in northern WI and UPMI and dealers know it. We will be riding in April in UP that much
Snow even if hits 80s in March.

That maybe true in NY but not in Northern WI we have been up to ours butts in snow for the month of February. I just came back inside from blowing 20 inches in a blizzard warning I couldn’t even get to the trails probably 3 feet between me and the trails maybe more in 50mph winds. Roads closed Eagle River declared a state emergency no place to put the snow probably have to load and haul away. More snow forecast for Tuesday another biggy next Saturday. We always have rideable snow here and the UPMI. I see impulse buying sleds up here everyday. A sled breaks down needs work guys on vacation buys a sled off display floor on the snow in an hour. Really bad idea not to have display sleds on the floor in northern WI and UPMI and dealers know it. We will be riding in April in UP that much
Same here on the east coast

I think we will be riding into May in the UP

I’m more confused than ever Yamaha 3 cylinder NA engine dropped from AC 2020 line up??? No public announcement from Textron with 2020 release regarding OEM agreement with Yamaha! Nothing from Yamaha either maybe gagged until Yamaha 2020 release. I’m sensing separation. Maybe Yamaha will let some info out???

Maybe it's just another step towards Yamaha exiting the biz? Or maybe starting anew with an all new sled with 880cc 2 stroke!

I’m more confused than ever Yamaha 3 cylinder NA engine dropped from AC 2020 line up??? No public announcement from Textron with 2020 release regarding OEM agreement with Yamaha! Nothing from Yamaha either maybe gagged until Yamaha 2020 release. I’m sensing separation. Maybe Yamaha will let some info out???
Hoping finaly the nightmare its over and they are separated!

The only way I would want to see Yamaha move away from AC would be if Yamaha got rights to the Pro Cross chassis, and started building it on their own, maybe with a few revisions. The AC/Yamaha relationship has had its negative issues for the Yamaha faithful, but on the bright side, it gave us sleds (Viper & Sidewinder) with the engines we love in a chassis that is comfortable and handles better than anything that ever came out of Japan.

I see cat no longer has IT service for there website,a drunkin turtle can run faster!!!lol

hahahahaha, when it warms up, the snow will go faaaaaast
I am sure it will but six foot of snow will be slow, unless rains then we have floods all over again like years past.

no more 1049cc in the cat lineup,thats definitely a sign of something?maybe this confirms there is a new engine coming out i would think,if not than yamaha has no choice than to start building 2 strokes again!!!

no more 1049cc in the cat lineup,thats definitely a sign of something?maybe this confirms there is a new engine coming out i would think,if not than yamaha has no choice than to start building 2 strokes again!!!
and that would prove there not just an engine supplier

Last edited:
It could be that a NA 998 will replace the 1049 in a Pro Cross to fill the void left by the Viper's demise.

The only way I would want to see Yamaha move away from AC would be if Yamaha got rights to the Pro Cross chassis, and started building it on their own, maybe with a few revisions. The AC/Yamaha relationship has had its negative issues for the Yamaha faithful, but on the bright side, it gave us sleds (Viper & Sidewinder) with the engines we love in a chassis that is comfortable and handles better than anything that ever came out of Japan.

Well they have a patent on a pyramid frame. They could do a better job of making it into a good chassis but alas they don't have a suspension and cant seem to build one that everyone likes.

Back