• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installing frt end bushings

raginyamaha

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 xtx
Anything i should be aware of that you guys came across when doing urs. Doing 2 of them in the next few weeks on 2 attaks. ordered the ulmer kits. any tips or tricks would be appreciated. o yea- :yam:

Be careful with the flanges of the new bushings, dont use a hammer or anything to tap them in unless you have a socket or something that is perfect round. Any off angle hit to one side will break the flange.

raginyamaha said:
Anything i should be aware of that you guys came across when doing urs. Doing 2 of them in the next few weeks on 2 attaks. ordered the ulmer kits. any tips or tricks would be appreciated. o yea- :yam:

I was able to tap mine in with a piece of flat wood and a plastic hammer, imo, they took the abuse good.

Just read the instructions carefully, I didn't and installed the rear bulkhead bushing the same way Yamaha did,,, they should have been installed from the outside in. :o|

Also make sure you replace or don't forget the plastic caps that go on the ends of the a-arms, :rofl:

Irv said:
raginyamaha said:

I was able to tap mine in with a piece of flat wood and a plastic hammer, imo, they took the abuse good.

Just read the instructions carefully, I didn't and installed the rear bulkhead bushing the same way Yamaha did,,, they should have been installed from the outside in. :o|

Also make sure you replace or don't forget the plastic caps that go on the ends of the a-arms, :rofl:

I did the same thing but only because I felt the flange being so thin should go up against a surface that is machined as it is inside the bulkhead. If you knock them in from the outside the surface you are knocking them onto is as cast and will not nescessarily be at 90 degrees to the bushes bore.

Some guys square up new bushing, and by using a bolt, with washers and a nut.. make a mini press. Just tighten nut with washers and it "presses" it right in.. and keeps things square ..

I wonder if your freeze the bushings(like with a bearing)would it go in easier?

I tapped mine in with wood and the ones I couldn't get at I used the boldt and nut to pull them in.Just make shure everything is square.

thanks bushings came today so its a weekend project. can tell its gettn close everyone is bring me thier sleds for work. C MON SNOW!!!! :-o

My steel bushings that slide into the new bushings located in the spindle needed to be ground down to remove some mushrooming before they would slide into the new bushing.

Used a hammer, tapped it square into almost all areas.

Obviously I could not tap in the inside bulk head, so I used a bolt. Basically ran a bolt with a washer thru the bushing and then into the bulk head from the inside out. Nut, washer on the outside and turned them right in by tightening the bolt. Did this for all four inside bushings.

***slide the bolts into the bushings to make sure your are using the right ones. ***

I have not done the large spindle ones yet, but plan on it when my steering bushings come in.

Not saying it was right, but it worked.

Got them in and was suprised how easy it was.. was expecting a long nite in the garage, but 2 1/2 housr and i was done. now to get the skid back together. Thanks for the tips! :rocks:

So how did you install the inner upper and lower bulkhead bushing. Is the bushing flange on the engine side of the bulkhead or outside at the a-arm.
I'm going to install mine tomorrow night.

What options are there for replacement bushings? OEM or aftermarket? I am installing a Pioneer wide front end kit this weekend and was thinking I should probably just go ahead with new bushings at the sametime.

Ulmers Oillights.... for the front pretty much only way to go.... you will spend slightly less for OEM, but will need replacing much sooner....

Rear mono i just put in Pioneer's kit... fit was great..

sherlock29 said:
Ulmers Oillights.... for the front pretty much only way to go.... you will spend slightly less for OEM, but will need replacing much sooner....

Rear mono i just put in Pioneer's kit... fit was great..

X2 on what Sherlock did for me in terms of which bushings to
Install.

In bulkhead I installed bushings same way Yamaha did, from the inside. Just seemed to make more sense to me, as others did above. Only way to get them in is with the bolt method. They go right in.

Back