• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

intercooler benefit

sneakattak88

Expert
Whats the benefit of doing this? I understand it cools down the air,, but what will i see different in performance? What i run is a MPI with the EVO flash set at 8 PSI of boost.

I haven't turboed a sled yet, but with Cars I've seen noticeable improvements at 5psi+, at 8psi I would definitely run one. At 8psi your probably building enough heat to require pulling more timing, even with the EVO flash.

Colder air is more dense which burns better (more HP) then warmer air. That's the reason they run intercooler. Same goes for cold air intakes. You suck in the colder air outside the machine versus the warm air under the hood.

Was wondering the same thing, if the intercooler is beneficial to someone at 6psi or is it meant for running more boost with the fourth injector, heard somewhere on here that if the intake is run to the outside that there isn't much if any gain with the intercooler.

Last edited:
I can tell you for a fact based on the my seat of the pants dyno, when I moved my intake outside of the hood I had way more oomph.

I can tell you for a fact based on the my seat of the pants dyno, when I moved my intake outside of the hood I had way more oomph.
I meant the intercooler benefit with the intake out side, i know it makes better power vs intake on top of clutch guard.

I meant the intercooler benefit with the intake out side, i know it makes better power vs intake on top of clutch guard.
As air is compressed it heats up, that's how a diesel engine runs. Cooling the air after compressed helps it remain dense with oxygen. It also prevents preignition.
Fire up your air compressor and feel the output line from the head, or the head itself. That's an example of how fast things warm up.

I would love to see a less expensive option to mpi's intercooler.

Cold compressed air has more oxygen per same volume of warm air. More oxygen more energy when burnt.

Whats the benefit of doing this? I understand it cools down the air,, but what will i see different in performance? What i run is a MPI with the EVO flash set at 8 PSI of boost.
I would be very weary of that set-up. The evo flash will pull timing at the upper RPM range to help prevent detonation but if you are running the stock 3 injectors and fuel pump you cannot get enough fuel to maintain safe AFR values at WOT. You also have to remember the mpi will spike at throttle chop and may drive boost to 10 or higher. Before I blew up my 14 it was set at 6#'s and still took out the middle cylinder.

My 15 has an EVO flash 4th injector in the intercooler and high output fuel pump and runs at 7.5 #'s on 91 and 10.5 #'s with 50/50 race fuel mix and still popped the head gasket at 500 miles at the time I was mostly running it at 7.5#'s and was at that setting all day when it popped.

Just throwing this out there, unless there is already some data kicking around on here.

Currently I have the MPI Trail Turbo with Intake outside, MPI's intake plenum, MPI Loud Muffler, PTi PC5, PC Ignition Module, ARP Studs, Headshim and Fueling needs to run 10lbs on 91 Octane safely. I've moved my IAT sensor into my Intake Plenum instead of the Intake like MPI has it. I also purchased an air to air today as well.

What I plan on doing is recording all the Data I find for myself. Going to be recording intake temps with the MPI Plenum installed. Then swapping the air to air in and running the same tests. And finally I might install a different rad in the nose of the sled to let more airflow through the air to air and run tests for that as well. I will have the plastic cut underneath the headlights prior to first testing

I realize this information might already be out there....I just like tinkering/doing my own testing. I will make sure coolant temp, speed, intake temps, ambient air temps, you name it will be all recorded to make the results accurate. I also realize we have no snow currently , so might have to wait a bit for the results lol.

Last edited:
No doubt that intercoolers work, but they also have to be a bit more restrictive, with that and the extra length of tubing the air has to travel through, i think it creates extra turbo lag.

No doubt that intercoolers work, but they also have to be a bit more restrictive, with that and the extra length of tubing the air has to travel through, i think it creates extra turbo lag.

Yes and no. If an air to air isn't made for its application (too small) then yes they are restrictive. However, any air to air properly made for X engine will be non restrictive. They will be rated for enough and above CFM of air flowing through them for that engine. And also remember, turbo lag is generally based on exhaust wheel, exhaust housing sizes and compressor wheel sizes. Don't get me wrong, too big of a compressor wheel or too small won't work properly either. With the MPI turbo's spool up and flow, and a proper air to air, your spool up will not change.

Last edited:

Back