• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Interesting rumor

sheetwright said:
First I think this is funny stuff. We have so many threads going on this subject at one time. All asking thw same questions...

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... light=2014
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... arctic+cat
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... light=2014
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=90
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=30

I am sure there are more lol. Almost like the moderator should come up with a Yamacat section just for all the stuff they have been leaking out. Since it is leaking out, here is what I have heard on the street to date.
I have been tossing hints out there till someone else has brought most to light. Didn't want to be the one to open the flood gates with the info I heard a while back

New 500cc sled more toward the lower old phazer style to replace the existing 80hp bike stance style

No more Apex. Was told it is too expensive to produce, and the horsepower it makes will be similar to another sled Yamaha is bringing out

The vector motor will stay with some changes made to the style, and possibly the suspension

There will be a cross country sled with a similar front end to the race front end. It will have a suspension similar to the Cat, and possibly the 128". This sled will have more power. I have heard of a different motor which I do not believe yet. I also heard that they are building a large pile of turbo's right now for the new run of sleds. Which makes me believe they are trying to go sno-pro in stance with our better front end, and a boosted four stroke triple. Which will then compete with Cat's turbo sno pro out of the box, at 180+ HP, and beat Doo to their turbo (hopefully)
Maybe if we are luck we will have a boosted and a non boosted option like Cat

Also rumors of a mountian sled change directly from Chris Brown, and others.

A lot of changes will be made with deals from Arctic cat. We give something, they give us something. It may gain Yamaha more fans to have the lighter and newer suspensions with our great four stroke engines, and get existing owners to upgrade from their existing styles. Yamaha may also lose some riders by having a light suspension with a Yamaha two stroke engine in Arctic cat green. Giving the old time Yamaha two stroke lovers the opportunity to ride them again.
The thing that makes Yamaha's sacred is their motors and reliability as we all know. Will you pick to ride a Yamacat, or a Arctic-hama? This move will hopefully bring down our prices some I hope? (I doubt it) Being more parts will be made here to get around taxes, less R&D is needed since they are splitting it in a way, shipping should be less with some more parts being made local, and Yamaha will be mass producing both brands engines in volume. While Cat is producing suspensions etc. We could now see a way to compete against that dreaded yellow machine in Quality, ride, and weight. All While bringing more jobs to the States and using Japenese engineering.

Well this is all based upon rumors of course and hear say, but With Suzuki out and Yamaha in, the winds are shifting. Look we even have entered into hill climbing, cross country racing real hard now. You don't do that unless you are doing it to R&D and learn. We haven't changed in forever and the sales are showing it. With Yamaha lowering production last year, and adding big cost savings with crazy long term financing to clear out old stock, there is going to be change. I can say it over and over, but it is true. "How do you get more people to buy when your stuff lasts forever, and your sleds don't change except for an option here or there overy year or so? You switch up the models" No one wants the old looking model. Nothing worse then buying a newer car/truck and seeing ford or Chevy change the models on you right? Same thinking goes here with sleds. I'm sure there were tons of guys who complained when Yamaha went form the old Phaser style to a new one. From a v-max 4, to a SRX style, to a SRX 700 to a RX1, a RX-1 to an Apex, and then we added the rider forward Nytro to compete against the Rev. So here we are again. With Cat having a light turbo, Polaris with a light adjustable Rush, Doo with a direct injection engine that is clean, and handles better then most want to admit, guys on here comparing the 1200 Doo to our unchanged Nytro. It is time for a change and a big one, or we might as well stick to Bikes and Generators. Quality can't make you last as a company only (ask plunkett) Competition does, and trying to meet your loyal fans new expectations does. Well that is my 2 cents, and the rumors that I hear are floating around the forums, shows, dealerships etc

:yam: :4STroke: ;)! and that is why we are complaining. Change makes people complain, but also makes them buy
New phazer was supposed to be released last winter but got held back.Can,t see the apex axed but you never know.A dealer for yamaha on sno-west said the yamaha brass are very exicited for the 2014 release.Big things are brewing :jump: .Better be one good cup of tea/coffee to knock our socks off(and the competition).

low slung said:
New phazer was supposed to be released last winter but got held back.Can,t see the apex axed but you never know.A dealer for yamaha on sno-west said the yamaha brass are very exicited for the 2014 release.Big things are brewing :jump: .Better be one good cup of tea/coffee to knock our socks off(and the competition).

2" track on the Nytro XTX! :tg:

LOL! We set ourselves up for this every year.

Hopefully a big change comes true per my sources. Believe it when I see it also

well the apex is 22 978 USD in sweden so dont #$%&* complain...

And sheetwright, why would u want a flat dull #$%&* lame #*$&@ instead of the phazer? They dont need to remove the phazer instead upgrade it mto a phazer 2 with 600-700cc and better shocks etc... the stance is awezome and wouldnt change it for the world!

I have a hard time to believe they would nerf the phazer... no point. :home:

And why would they remove the apex 2 years after adding EPS???

The nytro how ever need to bee replace with a similar style but alot more user friendly... no heavy pig.

The Phazer's 80 HP make it useless to the market segment IMO. Not that the chassis is so bad, but I would be willing to bet that every single person over age 15 that owns a Phazer would like and could handle that sled with 110 or so HP. They do need to axe the Nytro, make it into a new rider forward chassis that works- better than the Phazer works too. You then offer different motors in this chassis. Thus removing the 7 year old chassis that is the Phazer and 6 year old chassis that is the Nytro and coming out with an improved one.

The riders who actually DO want a sled with 80 HP probably would rather be on a sit down, more relaxed position sled- thus making sense for the lineup.

Trail Cruisers would keep the Vector, which for all intents and purposes is just as good or better than the Apex everywhere except for top end and sound.

I do see your point about getting rid of the apex only 3 years after adding power steering, but it would make marketing sense to add a boosted option to the new rider forward sled. These moves all make marketing sense, plus has anyone bought a Phazer in since 09? I would imagine that those sleds don't exactly fly off the showroom floor- mostly because of power.

Keep in mind that probably NONE of this happens this year haha :drink:

I'm not saying this is what I want or don't want. It is what I have heard from sources, and what should be good sources. I didn't believe it when I heard it a while back, but now that all of these arctic cat articles on line and in magazines are leaking out, there seems to be some truth coming out.
Now for me, I personally would like to see a 550-570cc @110HP rider forward sit down style phaser (more like the doo, polaris,and cat). Then a 140HP vector sit down cruiser with manors for your long distance guys and bar hoppers. Then a cross over sled with two motor options similar to how cat goes from sno pro to crossfire using maybe a 150HP engine and a 185HP boosted option. All while keeping your outdoors work horse sleds for hunters, farmers, and ranchers. That would put us more iniline with the competition. That doesn't mean we are going ot get what I want, what you want, or anyone wants. It means they are probably trying to meet all these cries over the years of listening to our riders, and our haters talk about our weight, our ride, and handeling. All to increase sales and market share

BTW I owned an Apex and I own a Nytro. Totally two differnt animals, and different riding styles for different types of people. I believe they both have a place, but an updated one

Emme.g.h. said:
well the apex is 22 978 USD in sweden so dont #$%&* complain...

And sheetwright, why would u want a flat dull #$%&* lame #*$&@ instead of the phazer? They dont need to remove the phazer instead upgrade it mto a phazer 2 with 600-700cc and better shocks etc... the stance is awezome and wouldnt change it for the world!

I have a hard time to believe they would nerf the phazer... no point. :home:

And why would they remove the apex 2 years after adding EPS???

The nytro how ever need to bee replace with a similar style but alot more user friendly... no
heavy pig.

Phaser not a big seller in USA just a kid or entry level sled & could use more HP & new platform. New Polaris Indy 600 suppose clean up in this segment & be huge seller....we we will see for me no entry level sled interests me. No big R&D bucks to adds EPS to Apex just made it better & more refined then also added EPS to Vector again no big deal but improved sled. Yamaha needs new platform with turbo engines that are less expensive to manufacture & decrease weight. This is what Yam will do if they do anything otherwise will just whine down line & get out.

I have a '10 model year Phazer, am "over 40" and don't mind the sled at all. I also have a couple other sleds, but in general I think the Phazer is a fun sled for the money. I prefer stand-up riding to sitting, and I don't need the extra HP for that style of riding ... How many guys do you see standing up going faster than 80 mph? YMC probably doesn't sell as many as they used to, but I think they still get some takers on its appeal as an entry level 4-S sled with a decent price point. I've ridden a Nytro many times and think the Phazer fits me better - again, I'm not lake racer or someone who runs through the woods at break-neck speed. For me, it's more about access to places you can't get to in summer, getting over challenging terrain and taking in the scenery ... not how fast you can reach your destination. so I for one, would disagree. If YMC were to build a new model, I'd want something lightweight and nimble with better off trail capability and decent tunnel space for fuel/gear. HP would be important, but secondary to those things. In any event, I don't think YMC has something like what I've described in the works, and probably won't for a while.

I did say that they need to upgrade the phazer with a stronger engine shocks etc, but to remove the phazer means that the´ll loose all the younger play around boondocking buyers... the nytro is heavy compared to the phazer.

FYI I bought a phazer FX-07 when I was 16 and bought a phazer MTX-11 new and have still not ridden anything close to as fun as the phazer, and calling it a entry sled is does not make it justice! the SRX 120 is a entry sled

I can tell u guys know what u are talking about spelling Phazer with an S...

My friends own a Nytro, swithcback 700 and summit 600 etc and im the one braking trail etc...

Lol you have to love DROID spelling... the phazer is not being eliminated. If anything it will be in the true 500 class like the Polaris and cat and probably geared more like the cat 570 or doo style riding from what I was told. Still be a phazer with a (z) though lol

My Point wasn't to diss the Phazer. I am just saying for the next generation sled-they probably wouldn't bother making an 80 HP variant and should be able to make a chassis better than either the phazer or the nytro that can morph the two together.

Keep the Phazer but with a bit more juice and better suspension & boards and a bit of a diet .... am over 40 too and have Phazer and Nytro - Phazer is still more fun to ride and have updated the rear suspension to a Timbersled with floats up front to make it even more fun. Holding off on doing any mods to the Nytro this year (considered the Skinz +4.5" front end) in case there really is something in the pipe for 2014 ... though about a Po Pro RMK 600 for this year but can't forgo the Yam engine ......
Don't agree with the statement about the Phazer being a kid's sled ... its a fun 80 HP sled at a decent price point.

Back