• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

IQS for 300lb rider

The ECU and Stepper may have infinite variability but it’s going to one of three set positions and not using the in between settings. As a stepper it’s just getting go 'there' from the ECU, nothing in the middle. From the perspective of the valving, it should work just like a clicker since the resulting damping is fixed in nature (not variable like Fox Live or SS).
Of course I know that which is why I said AC and Yamaha are not using near the capability of the IQS. It’s a stupid IQS. The Valving is easy to change on either the Qs3 or the Iqs shocks but it would do you no good on iqs since you want lighter #3. Changing Valving lighter would make #1 useless way too soft so you would end up with just 2 useable settings like you have now. Qs3 R is just a mechanical 3 way valve which can Physically be changed in each or one of the positions separately. To do that for Iqs the ecu controlling it needs to be reprogrammed. Don’t hold your breath for that. Cat owns the Ecu and programing. Not Fox. I have some info I have seen that Cat will be abandoning Fox. Think 5 position clicker. If I had Iqs I would optimize one position to cover 90% of riding with chassis and Valving tuning or hope Cat offers more options with ecu programming. I would have thought aftermarket would have hacked that ecu but the demand must just not justify it.

Of course I know that which is why I said AC and Yamaha are not using near the capability of the IQS. It’s a stupid IQS. The Valving is easy to change on either the Qs3 or the Iqs shocks but it would do you no good on iqs since you want lighter #3. Changing Valving lighter would make #1 useless way too soft so you would end up with just 2 useable settings like you have now. Qs3 R is just a mechanical 3 way valve which can Physically be changed in each or one of the positions separately. To do that for Iqs the ecu controlling it needs to be reprogrammed. Don’t hold your breath for that. Cat owns the Ecu and programing. Not Fox. I have some info I have seen that Cat will be abandoning Fox. Think 5 position clicker. If I had Iqs I would optimize one position to cover 90% of riding with chassis and Valving tuning or hope Cat offers more options with ecu programming. I would have thought aftermarket would have hacked that ecu but the demand must just not justify it.

Thank you very much for that explanation. Will PM you my thoughts on this. The ECU could be pretty dumb, it could in fact be done in pure discrete logic but I doubt that they are doing that as it would be convenient to use even a very small microprocessor.

Cat will be abandoning Fox
This is interesting. Any clues to what manufacture they will be going to? Maybe brining the shocks in house?
I have heard that the Fox shocks where a reason for many of the delivery delays in the past few years?????

This is interesting. Any clues to what manufacture they will be going to? Maybe brining the shocks in house?
I have heard that the Fox shocks where a reason for many of the delivery delays in the past few years?????
I knew someone would pick that up
Let’s just say I saw a ACT? with a 5 position compression clicker with knob just like Qs3 and Rebound on a Prototype Catalyst. Some of the parts were Gold Anodized like Ohlins and others looked like ACT. I wasn’t supposed to see them so they wouldn’t talk about them. All 4 shocks. Pretty cool stuff! Fox parts delivery has been terrible last few years and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them just drop sleds since they are big in trucks,utv and bicycles. Who knows. It’s been a struggle with them though for sure.

I knew someone would pick that up
Let’s just say I saw a ACT? with a 5 position compression clicker with knob just like Qs3 and Rebound on a Prototype Catalyst. Some of the parts were Gold Anodized like Ohlins and others looked like ACT. I wasn’t supposed to see them so they wouldn’t talk about them. All 4 shocks. Pretty cool stuff! Fox parts delivery has been terrible last few years and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them just drop sleds since they are big in trucks,utv and bicycles. Who knows. It’s been a struggle with them though for sure.

iACT.

The entire electronics industry is still trying to recover as is the metal fab industry overseas. There are still parts we are waiting for that are over a year late. The main reason they are likely switching isn't overall manufacturing as it is a problem for all manufacturers, it is as you point out that fox cares less about snowmobiles than bicycles and trucks. Ohlins... bring it on, that would be great.

iACT.

The entire electronics industry is still trying to recover as is the metal fab industry overseas. There are still parts we are waiting for that are over a year late. The main reason they are likely switching isn't overall manufacturing as it is a problem for all manufacturers, it is as you point out that fox cares less about snowmobiles than bicycles and trucks. Ohlins... bring it on, that would be great.
Act is Arctic Cats in house shocks. I think they are either China or Canada Fox copies. They call them Hpg now.

Another issue with modifying Iqs is that if the Iqs ecu or the Steppers on shocks aren’t used it will throw a code on dash. One customer I put a dummy stepper in harness and used a Hi/Lo adjuster in rear shock to fool it. If not for this code it would be pretty easy to just ditch the ecu and use a knob and rheostat to control the Steppers on shocks.

They weren’t Ohlins just the gold anodizing like them.
Probably Kimpex/sp1. That's what the front track shock is.

I do really like iqs for about 95% of the riding I do. Hell I really went to town on a completely whooped out 6 mile long trail and it kept up with the snow cross racer in front of me. Could it be a bit better, yeah but then I just go grab my float 3 with hi lo clickers 4000 and ditch bang.

Also is this the correct orientation for the rear shock wiring?

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_005149067_copy_2040x1536.jpg
    PXL_20230602_005149067_copy_2040x1536.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 70
Also is this the correct orientation for the rear shock wiring?

More or less. It comes out of the shock and makes an immediate u-turn (tighter than you have it), passes between the shock and the torque plate then over to the right rail into a clip then up and follows the front arm.

1685794001176.png

You can also ditch the IQS in rear or front and switch it out with manual low speed comp adjuster or better yet a Hi/Lo adjuster. This still allows electric setting of other set.Sadly it’s not possible $ wise to add rebound adjustment to rear. I think it’s too slow stock revalve needed but that is personal preference.
If you ditch the iqs in the front how do you stop in from throwing a code? I'd like to setup a hi/lo adjustor on mine. For whatever reason my 23 srx is way to soft on 1 and 2. 3 is super stiff and unusable.

If you ditch the iqs in the front how do you stop in from throwing a code? I'd like to setup a hi/lo adjustor on mine. For whatever reason my 23 srx is way to soft on 1 and 2. 3 is super stiff and unusable.
The iqs stepper motor can be put on any of the fox shocks. It's just an adjuster.

If you ditch the iqs does it not throw a code on your dash and give you issues with whatever shock is still using the iqs though?

Back