• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is this sport becoming inaccessible?

smoothride said:
trail permit in michigan is $45 and the trails have been getting lots of grooming why is ontario so high $200 is to much. :die :die
Michigan has about 5000 miles to groom.....Ontiario has about 25,000 .......!

Super Sled said:
Sledding is still very popular around here. There are enough used sled's for sale for people to run if they want to get in for less money. But ultimately I believe fuel prices down the road will dictate all motorsport's fates. Some resorts are charging $5 or $6 a gallon for non oxy 91 octane. While us die hards will swallow it just to ride, plenty of folks will refuse one by one. And just imagine if fuel prices exponentially rose, which is bound to happen someday. Can we devise a solar powered sled, lol!!!!

Some places charge 5 or 6 dollars a gallon!!! Try Canada. I pay $1.19 per liter for regular want premium you go to $1.29 per liter so that is over $5 a gallon in town. This summer the premium at the lake was $1.79. Point you guys still have decent gas prices

new4stroker said:
Some places charge 5 or 6 dollars a gallon!!! Try Canada. I pay $1.19 per liter for regular want premium you go to $1.29 per liter so that is over $5 a gallon in town. This summer the premium at the lake was $1.79. Point you guys still have decent gas prices

$1,19? Thats cheap! $1.27 to 1.35 a liter is the cost here! Premium is much more. Out sledding in more remote spots expect to pay 1.45 or more!

Is sledding to expensive? Yep it is! Why sled then? I'm an addict! Thats my excuse!

I remember when my buddy decided he wanted to get snowmachines. He bought a sled for himself and his wife along with helmets and gear and it was like $15,000 back in '97. I was shocked! I've been riding since '85 so I've never had to layout the money all at once to get everything. Now my kids are using some of my old gear.

The cost of sleds is fricking ridiculous but people want all the bells and whistles. My Polaris dealer was selling a '12 Shift 600, 121 for $7000. I didn't think that was a bad price for a liquid cooled 600. The 500 Indy I bought in '89 was $5,200. The Shift is a way nicer sled. Of course a base Nytro is what, $10,500 or $11,000? One of the things that jacks the prices is the warranty. They should give you an option and the sled price would probably drop by at least $1,000.

If you race and get a sled off the race program, the prices are pretty reasonable for what things cost today.

I agree with the OP, the cost of sleds is killing the sport. Seems like the time is ripe for some OEM to release a cheap, simple, light weight fun sled that everyone in the family can ride. Something like the snowmachine version of a Yamaha Raptor 250.

grossman, I think you are missing a couple of big factors. Truck to pull a couple of sleds that is dependable enough to get there can be $5000 - $60000 depending. Fuel driving that to the Hotel/ Resort can cost as much as my sled fuel. The price of Hotel/ resort. I too started on my parents many sleds, when I turned 16, I bought my first brand new polaris 400 indy for just under $3000.00 out the door. I thought that was a lot. Now I run around with $70,000 worth of truck/trailer/couple sleds(these were the prices paid new, not current values). Hope I don't wreck it all ....insurance won't like me

Big Money

sleddog66 said:
grossman, I think you are missing a couple of big factors. Truck to pull a couple of sleds that is dependable enough to get there can be $5000 - $60000 depending. Fuel driving that to the Hotel/ Resort can cost as much as my sled fuel. The price of Hotel/ resort. I too started on my parents many sleds, when I turned 16, I bought my first brand new polaris 400 indy for just under $3000.00 out the door. I thought that was a lot. Now I run around with $70,000 worth of truck/trailer/couple sleds(these were the prices paid new, not current values). Hope I don't wreck it all ....insurance won't like me

It all adds up , and if you want to travel it is is even worse , throw in a couple of trips out to Togwotee or Line Shack Wy at 3 to 4k a trip.

Truck to pull 38,000$
Sled to ride 13,000$
Trailer 8,000$
Sled and trailer insurance 460.00
Full set Klim riding gear 1000.00$
Helmet 300.00$
Trail permit 45.00$
Hotel 100.00$ per night
Food , beer (night), gas for the day 100.00$

That does not even include turbos , studs ,extras.

That would sure put a lot of groceries on the shelf at home , but after you get out on a nice day , with the sun shining and a fresh groomed trail with your friends and family,that to me is priceless. ;)!

nswsparky said:
You can get bare bone Polaris' for pretty cheap. http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ ... omize.aspx

I don't see why everyone thinks they need to buy brand new snowmobiles to get started around here there are still a lot of great sleds with a couple thousand miles on them for under 3g's and can find some good ones for $500.

The reason I won`t go used on sleds is simple!! I am NOT my own mechanic. Sleds are a different beast then a car and if someone was riding bagging the crap out its hard to tell. I don't want someones junk. There are good ones out there but too many things can go wrong on a used sled unless you can fix it yourself.

grossman said:
So I guess we can all agree that yes, it is expensive. But at the end of the day, it's a great way to spend your money. :Rockon:
Amen!
;)!

Try owning three sleds and gear for three. Dont forget price of 900 sq ft cabin with garage up north, $40k plus insurance.
Luckily (knock on #$%&* wood) been broke into only once in the 15 yrs of owning (10 yrs ago) and they took all our gear, had to replace it all.

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

Oh I forgot about the 08 Nytro I bought my wife this year and the gear I bought this year LOL

If I added everything up I would have to start drinking heavily LOL. But once I hit the trails for the first time... its worth every penny.

Back