• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

I can’t win!!! 4 miles in:

AF36435E-9D86-4D5A-B098-649550BAFBA1.jpeg

9EB9B42B-851D-427C-BAED-CE9E74D5C962.jpeg

aw dang it! epoxy that mf back in and try again unless you plan on tapping the hole for a barbed fitting.

could always make the first apewinder.....

I don’t think I like the idea of tapping my brand new block and have a metal shavings get in there. How much pressure is in the coolant system anyway, I thought it was less than 15 psi. What a jip!!!!

supposed to be less than 15.

Well atleast you can Plan a trip. We are still the level Red Covid restrictions. Nothing is open to even plan a multi day ride.
Where on the engine is that hose fitting?

I don’t think I like the idea of tapping my brand new block and have a metal shavings get in there. How much pressure is in the coolant system anyway, I thought it was less than 15 psi. What a jip!!!!

you could pressurize the cooling system with like 5lb of pressure while tapping it so it blows the shavings out of the hole if they do not have an oversize fitting/pipe you can put in there.

So to follow up, I replaced a stock engine with thick head gasket at 10:1 CR, with a built motor and thick head gasket at 9:1 (read more boost :) ) that lowered compression really impacted my idle. When it wouldn't start yesterday after the coolant leaked out it fired right up today and ran great on cold start, once it hit warm idle it wouldn't run. I ended up adjusting the idle knob almost all the way in and richening the mixture a little on my fuel controller to get it to hold 1500 rpm. It would idle around 1000 rpm before but if you blipped the gas it would die. Now this IAC valve hasn't been used that much in the last 5 years, and I swore it was sticking a little bit because once I tightened the knob all the way in or out it did nothing, then like it unfroze the more times I screwed it in and out it started impacting the idle again. Hind sight I should have cleaned the IAC.

I need to lean it out a little at part and WOT (per my O2 gauge) but the ole 4cyl is not picky on fuel, so it ran flawless, I did notice its a little softer then I remember on the 10:1 CR engine but still night and day better then the winder in terms of response. Oh how I missed the ZX2, it does everything so well. I got nervous after my ride where it failed I saw nylon all over the drivers and had a ticking noise, turns out the track needed to be tightened that fixed all the issues and the sled wheelies at will but also stays planted when I need it. The fox floats were down to 45 lbs and I noticed on the 4 mile ride where it blew the coolant line it was tippy AF. I pumped them up to 75 and so much better there. I put the mirrors on for my dad when I wanted to give him this sled, but they hit my helmet in slow turn maneuvers so I will probably remove them.

Overall so elated! I will check it out for any oil spray from PTO take off for MPI or over by the WP later but it appears I have fixed the massive leak that was keeping the sled off the trail. Also didn't even bleed the coolant, jacked up in the air and filling it slowly and stopping waiting for all bubbles and gurgling every 5-10 seconds really pays off. It works flawless.

Time to ride, once I get 100 miles and no issues I will feel better but the way its acting I don't think that will be a problem! Thanks all for help and encouragement!

Last edited:
To continue. This is put together using 2 sleds. My prized 07 impulse turbo Marble one and this was the original 06 craigslist special. Plasti dip covers the red, and marble parts and one blue rear exhaust cover lol.

on start up I had a coolant leak from right below the T stat housing, the house that goes to the oil cooler. It was a hole and i was able to push it up on the barb more and get behind the barb. It dripped into the protective sheath around that hose, then trickled ALL the way down to the heat exchanger. Took awhile to find but easy fix!

Then had a 81 code. I accidentally reversed the hand warmer circuit. Easy fix again.
Then the coolant barb and idle issue.

Im still so impressed on the build quality of these Apex’s. I have literally beat this sled to a pulp, pulled it apart numerous times, it was abused before I got it, and every time I put it back together every screw every fastener every nut it fits exactly where it supposed to go in feels tight and secure, multiple times I shake my head in amazement, with a Sidewinder parked right next to it it’s not even a comparison.... glad to have her back!!!

Last edited:

Back