• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

I noticed on the rivet heads it came off but everywhere else still looks good. If I can get by with a quick touch up each year I will be happy. More prep would probably help to.

your turning issues, is it hard to turn like phyiscally or are you saying when you turn the bars the skis turn but the sled will not? i thought someone somewhere on here asked that but not sure if you replied.

subaru2006

UPDATE:

300 mile maintenance and issues.

The sled wont steer at all its like a tank, its physically hard to steer it almost like if I want to turn left someone is on the ski pulling it right. Jack it up and steering works perfect so its something in the skis. Look at the carbides and see this:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDktMjAxMTAxMDktMTQyMC5qcGc.jpg

DOH! This is the 2nd time the shaper bars last year did this as well. They just arent strong enough for the pork of the sled and the pounding I put it through. Next year I'll be in the market for some stronger ones.

I managed to get them bent back to almost 100% straight (which is also not a good sign) so I can use them on my trip to the UP tommorrow.

I then also discovered the mag side upper a arm is bent UP like I landed on something, not bad but it is bent. I will try and bend this back till i locate a replacement.

I also checked the track tension and I had it WAY off like 1/4" off side to side. I check the skid for squareness in the tunnel then did a alignment based on fixed points and got it to within a 1/16" no and the track rotates SOO much easier, that would explain why it was pulling to the left also.

I also removed my ski savers and used them to make a 1/2" shim under the rear part of the rubber for my slydog powderhounds. Its probably too much shim but that is all I could think of to use. I used a grinder and got them down to 3/8" but when you jack the sled up the skis point up at about a 20 degree angle now where before they were level. I'll check the carbide position tonight when I drop it on the floor.

While doing the alignment I noticed I had 6 loose studs, 4 tightened up and two I had to drill the nuts off by using small bits and just working up, then I replaced them with new ones. Everything is tight back there now.

Lastly I'm going to swap out the gears and chain its been awhile and I just have a feeling something is going to let loose, with all the power, jumping, landing, etc I need to find the chain stretch measurement and see if it is bad or not. I got a 38 gear and new chain on hand to install so I have no worries anymore.

This is the most maint I have done once a season has started so hopefully it saved me some hassles on this UP trip, hoping for a bunch of FUN worry free miles.

Kinger, I think I saw you at the Root Cellar last week. You guys got in the night before we left. Wish i would a got chance to talk to you because planning on puting a stage 1 mpi on my nytro. Your sled sounds and looks great.

Hey snownutz - should have grabbed me man, happy to BS, I ride with all ski doo 600's so yeah I was bored and need to talk yamaha LOL

I dont have any experience with the nytro, I was looking at one one time and researching boost options and sort of had my mind made up to run the ulmer 180 kit with the cast manifold, seemed the most reliable system at that time.

I love the MPI kit I haven't touched it in two years it just works, and the boost is instant. Only drawback is mpg riding in the UP at 60+ speeds I'm always in boost (function of rpms) where as a turbo would not be boosting on low loads. Most of the time I'm at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and 10 psi. the ulmer turbo I remember came with a larger tank and you got 15+ mpg which would make for great range on the trail.

The SC can be a handful in the trail of WI where you have a lot of tight turns and on and off again throttle. You have to be diligent and ease into the throttle or it will pick the skis and put you in a tree!

I know the feeling of riding with 600 ski doo lol. Also just got back from the UP. Stayed at the rootcellar. Trails were smooooth and not another sled in site. Went around 500 miles and only seen about 25 sleds. Lost about a day an half due to ski doo problems.. But still had a blast. Tons of snow for really having none earlier in the month.

Subaru2006

Yes everyonce in a while across town but not anything over a couple miles and no melted salt days or anything. Trips to the UP it rides in a enclosed 4 place a buddy of mine has.

I'm upgrading trailers in a month or so and will get a nice enclosed single for it.

Just a update I haven't touched the sled from a mechanical perspective since the last maint at 300 miles into the season. So far its running perfectly and working like I want it to. Its so nice to jsut turn the key and go again!

I figured out the reason for my handling woes and she now is a dream to ride.

This sled just works! The power is nuts, uses no oil, starts in -20, runs on 87 fuel with torco, works to go bar hopping, works to trail ride, works to ditch bang. Its the sled with no compromises for how we ride in this area.

Like most of the midwest we are getting a thaw now so I played hookie on friday and did 120 miles of the the BEST riding we have ever had around Iowa.

Check out this trail:

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTItMjAxMTAyMTEtMTI1NS5qcGc.jpg

Of course got to take a shot of the sled!

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTQtMjAxMTAyMTEtMTI1Ni5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTMtMjAxMTAyMTEtMTI1NS5qcGc.jpg

Overall the body work is holding up so is the bedliner for the most part. I do have some flaws but they are easily fixed.

This summer I got more plans for next year! Hopefully I can sneak in a ride or two yet if we get snow after this melt!

Thanks again for all the help on this site! :4STroke: :rocks:

Hey Kinger Very nice ride. Can you plz im me for a start on how to acquire the sled graphics you have please. Thank you in advance.

My fathers day gift I got the day off from the Family and got some quality time in the shop polishing up the sled and removing the shocks for a rebuild/revalve.

I know some people wanted to see the results of the bedliner on the floor boards so I took some pictures. This is after 1 season about 700 some miles so it was a short season for me.

They are wearing good I think:
utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTQtMjAxMTA2MTktMTQ1MS5qcGc.jpg

Its so easy to touch up if I was showing the sled I may but this will be fine for 1 more season:

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTYtMjAxMTA2MTktMTQ1Mi5qcGc.jpg

As I stated I got the ohlins off and I am wondering if anybody knows what this knob is for? It clicks like the compression adjustment on top (better actually) but these are from a 40th anniversary so they aren't supposed to have rebound adjustibility. These almost screwed on and off if I turned them enough. No idea if its meant to be a adjustment or not???

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTMtMjAxMTA2MTktMTMyNy5qcGc.jpg

Sled started in bight sunny day and the headlights still managed to blind me, they are BRIGHT!

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTctMjAxMTA2MTktMTYyNi5qcGc.jpg

kinger said:
I am wondering if anybody knows what this knob is for? It clicks like the compression adjustment on top (better actually) but these are from a 40th anniversary so they aren't supposed to have rebound adjustibility. These almost screwed on and off if I turned them enough. No idea if its meant to be a adjustment or not???

Great sled Kinger. As you suspected, that is the rebound adjustment. Looks the same on the Ohlins Mono shock.

;)!

Back