• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Left stranded by...dead battery?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR VIPER LTX SE
2002 SX VIPER ER
2016 SR VIPER, had no issues all weekend starting untill last day. Went out, rode the sled hard and the trails were shot and moguls were big, slowed down to a break and the sled shut right off on me. Turned the key off and on, there wasn't enough juice to keep the screen or fully lit, just flickered. Also wouldn't engage the starter.

Ended up getting a battery, sled started up and ran just fine. I checked the voltage of new battery (13v) and then when running (14+) so alternative is good.

Bad Battery seems like the problem.
Just seems suspect that the sled shut off on me. I've never never had a battery go bad that rapidly. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something else.

1) Will the seld run even with a bad battery?

2) Can you jump the battery on these 4strokes?

1) I don’t think so but never tried disconnecting while running
2) Yes just like a car

I have had batteries fail right out of blue. Right bump shorts plates in batt out. That’s why I won’t run a higher amp Lead Acid batt since only way to get that is more plates. Closer together. Since batt is same size physically like Z series Yuasa. Had two fail me just like you described.

.....like Z series Yuasa. Had two fail me just like you described.
Wish I had known that before ordering a Z series about a month ago, to replace if needed or at end of the season whichever came first. Good info!

1) I don’t think so but never tried disconnecting while running
2) Yes just like a car

I have had batteries fail right out of blue. Right bump shorts plates in batt out. That’s why I won’t run a higher amp Lead Acid batt since only way to get that is more plates. Closer together. Since batt is same size physically like Z series Yuasa. Had two fail me just like you described.
What Battery are you running? I replaced with an Lead-acid Interstate, not sure the Amperage though.

Mine definitely took a pounding right before it died. The Battery location on the Vipers doesn't seem ideal, and seems prone a bigger beating under rear of seat, rather than near the center of mass by the Engine bay.

What Battery are you running? I replaced with an Lead-acid Interstate, not sure the Amperage though.

Mine definitely took a pounding right before it died. The Battery location on the Vipers doesn't seem ideal, and seems prone a bigger beating under rear of seat, rather than near the center of mass by the Engine bay.
Stock Yuasa. Original I put in Venom and put new Venom batt in Viper. Original had 15000 mi on it. Still works fine but trust was gone. Venom has pull start and electric so old batt in there made sense.

I had a similar problem with my 7000. Never gave me a hint the battery was going bad.
I shut it off to refuel and battery was dead. I was able to start it with my booster

Back