• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

looking for help with MCX Nytro

TurboMatt

Pro
OK here's the deal. It's kinda a weird situation. I have a friend with MCX FX Nytro mtx. He knows absolutely nothing about it other than the fact that he wanted a turbo sled and had the money to buy it. He knows nothing about turboes, the whole proccess, what goes into tuning them or what they are capable of. He bought this kit about a year and a half ago and had a relative newbie to installing turboes install it for him. Long story short- the sled runs very badly. He has ridden the sled twice since it was installed, I rode with him the first time out. It has run terrible the whole time. The first time out his wideband a/f wasn't even working, the installer said: " ah you'll be fine". Personally I wouldnt have even driven it and I told him that but I really don't think he even knows the consequences to this so whatever it his deal.

Like I said he knows absolutely nothing about this kit. I ask him what he has for fuel control, he has not idea, I ask him if he has a program to tune with, he has no idea.

So basically I want to help the guy out. I have a bunch of experience road tuning and dyno tuning both street cars and drag cars. I'm experienced with both turboes & efi. I can't imagine sleds are too much different. I'm putting together a kit for my Apex mtn this summer so I hope not, LOL.
Anyways, I'm looking for some help on tuning a MCX Nytro. Does the kit infact come with tuning software? Can it connected to a laptop for tuning? Anyone have the software? It's my understanding that they use auxillery injectors for adding fuel. This is a pretty basic way of fuelling so it shouldn't be too back. Is there any timing control?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

the mcx fuel controller is no adustable from what i know. the box is suppose to control boost electronically and fuel with injectors in the intercooler. define a bad running sled, what is it doing excatly so we can help you out. does it have a boost guage. what stage kit is this? what motor work has been done?

If you have the display unit for MCX fuel box and Megatune you can adjust the fuel mapping for the extra injectors in the plenum. Megataune can't adjust timing or OEM injectors- just the extra injectors

http://www.mc-xpress.com/

thamax said:
the mcx fuel controller is no adustable from what i know. the box is suppose to control boost electronically and fuel with injectors in the intercooler. define a bad running sled, what is it doing excatly so we can help you out. does it have a boost guage. what stage kit is this? what motor work has been done?

The sled seems like it's running terribly rich. I couldn't tell for sure though cause last year when he had it out for the 1st time the wideband a/f gauge wasn't working right. It gurgles bad down low, they eventually clears out after working the throttle for 7-8 seconds. It never fully clears out though. From what I can see it's running about 8-9lbs. of boost. It has no power though. To me it seems like its drowning. I pulls about the same as my mostly stock Apex mtn. Pulls 34mph track speed in spring snow at most. No motor work has been done other than I believe there was a head shim installed with the kit???? It's the std pump gas kit. I may get to take a look at it next week in the Snowies and I'm just trying to do my homework.

So the efi is not tuneable at all? He doesn't have the diplay. That's seems kinda sketchy. I'm assuming the efi can adjust for elevation differences then? He rides this sled at high elevation, but it was installed back at home in WI at sea level.

thanks

make sure the fuel line for the external injectors is not kinked causing higher pressure, for that will screw up the mcx mapping causing a rich condition as you said it seems like.

Fuel mapping sound correct .
Sounds like poor installation .
You may have a air leak in the system .

TurboMatt said:
thamax said:

The sled seems like it's running terribly rich. I couldn't tell for sure though cause last year when he had it out for the 1st time the wideband a/f gauge wasn't working right. It gurgles bad down low, they eventually clears out after working the throttle for 7-8 seconds. It never fully clears out though. From what I can see it's running about 8-9lbs. of boost. It has no power though. To me it seems like its drowning. I pulls about the same as my mostly stock Apex mtn. Pulls 34mph track speed in spring snow at most. No motor work has been done other than I believe there was a head shim installed with the kit???? It's the std pump gas kit. I may get to take a look at it next week in the Snowies and I'm just trying to do my homework.

So the efi is not tuneable at all? He doesn't have the diplay. That's seems kinda sketchy. I'm assuming the efi can adjust for elevation differences then? He rides this sled at high elevation, but it was installed back at home in WI at sea level.

thanks

my supercharged rx1 mtn with 9-10# of boost have in between 55 and 60 mph track speed depending on snow condition, and the track is 162x16x2.5 challenger extreme

APEX XPRESS said:
Fuel mapping sound correct .
Sounds like poor installation .
You may have a air leak in the system .

Thats kinda what it is starting to look like. I have to agree. I am going to try and get my hands on the install instructions and go through everything. Does MCX use a headshim? That seems like 1 area things could have went wrong.

As someone said earlier it sound like an air leak or kinked fuel hose... Another thing to check is that the vac/press hose to the MCX EFI unit is correctly installed down at the throttle bodys....

The MCX comes with a good fuel map and no changes needs to be done to get the sled runnin OK,

What kit is it? 180,240,270?

/Dennis

Dennis_I said:
As someone said earlier it sound like an air leak or kinked fuel hose... Another thing to check is that the vac/press hose to the MCX EFI unit is correctly installed down at the throttle bodys....

The MCX comes with a good fuel map and no changes needs to be done to get the sled runnin OK,

/Dennis

ok thanksm I'll be sure to check those things

It's my understanding that it's the 240 kit. Is there anything special install wise to this kit vs. the others?

TurboMatt said:
Dennis_I said:

/Dennis

It's my understanding that it's the 240 kit. Is there anything special install wise to this kit vs. the others?

When you said it had an headchim you can rule out the 180 kit, that differs from the others when it has no headchim and no intercooler and no extra injectors.
The diffrence between 240 and 270 kit is that the 270 kit have an external fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

One thing to think about with the 240 kit is that the stock fuel pump seem to lose it's capacity over time, i know of several mcx240 running lean, bad, so invest in an afr, everyone running turbo sleds should have one.

The MCX kit is tunable when it comes to fuel- and boost maps by installing the MCX Display unit. It connects to a pc via USB cable. To be tune the stock ignition and fuel map you need the RB3.

I would check out valve clearances over the summer, while at it I would check cam timing. Check if the installer have slotted the intake cam gear to MCX spec, otherwise a lot of power is left on the table.

The first is like you said, get hold of the install guide, tear it apart, and reinstall the kit by the book to make sure all is perfect. Get a boost meter and a AFR meter, better yet get the MCX Display unit as it has a logging function that will take 6 hours of logging.

TurboMatt said:
Dennis_I said:

/Dennis

Have you got it to work?

Back