• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical Power Steering for Sidewinder - BTX & XTX "bone spindle" kits now available

What setting are you running on the kit?

• Front

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Middle

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rear (easiest steering)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finalizing some install directions, and getting the website page updated. Should be soon. You will have plenty of time to get it installed!

For those that will want to see the kit in person this fall below is a list of shows that you will be able to see it on display. Yamaheater Rock has agreed to display the kit for me in his booth.

Haydays MN
Syracuse NY ( I hope to be present at the show on Friday)
Novi MI
Milwaukee WI

I will also be at the Excell Raceway Grass Drags on September 23-24
Are there any "side effects", of this install ?
Larger turning radius , or ?
Or to your credit, any additional benefits , above and beyond easier turning ?

The handlebar range of motion is the same with MPS so the side effect of this is a larger turning radius. When I first tested my concept it was all open field riding. Knowing the turning radius was increased I wanted to be sure I trail tested to be sure this was not an issue. I made a late season trip to test on some tight twisty groomed trails and found I was never even close to hitting the stops when riding with MPS installed. The increased turning radius is noticeable in parking lots or when trying to make a U turn on narrow trail but with reverse it's really not a big deal.

Reduction of trail feedback is another perk to MPS that I have not discussed yet. The change in mechanical ratio provided by MPS makes it easier for handlebars to turn the skis, but harder for skis to turn the handlebars. If a force on trail tries to turn the skis the ratio change provides resistance to the force and reduces the force felt at handlebars.

The handlebar range of motion is the same with MPS so the side effect of this is a larger turning radius. When I first tested my concept it was all open field riding. Knowing the turning radius was increased I wanted to be sure I trail tested to be sure this was not an issue. I made a late season trip to test on some tight twisty groomed trails and found I was never even close to hitting the stops when riding with MPS installed. The increased turning radius is noticeable in parking lots or when trying to make a U turn on narrow trail but with reverse it's really not a big deal.

Reduction of trail feedback is another perk to MPS that I have not discussed yet. The change in mechanical ratio provided by MPS makes it easier for handlebars to turn the skis, but harder for skis to turn the handlebars. If a force on trail tries to turn the skis the ratio change provides resistance to the force and reduces the force felt at handlebars.

How much are the kits going to be ball park ?

Im excited that you will be in my backyard at haydays.

Will you have sleds there to feel the difference?

You will have kits to buy?

Will you be in the vendor section or in the swap?

Cost??

Sorry, but I will not be at HayDays. Rock (yamaheater) is just going to have a table top display of the kit. I believe he teams up with Ulmer racing too. They will have some kits available to purchase.

It sure would be nice if the price question wasn't ignored every time it's asked. I just can't understand what's so hard about acknowledging the question.

It sure would be nice if the price question wasn't ignored every time it's asked. I just can't understand what's so hard about acknowledging the question.

Thought I addressed it awhile back when I stated it would not be more than set of popular aftermarket skis. What I've created is unique and and there's nothing like it on the market. I can't just search Google and Ebay to see what they are selling for so it's taken me some time me to finalize my final sell price. With that said I have come up with a final number this morning. I've been working on my website all morning as I plan to release it wednesday 8/30/17. List price will be 379.99.

I've updated my website blog with a new photo/last clue to how the kit works.

http://www.barnofparts.com/blog-updated-8-28-17

really cool idea... now,from what i see, you should have a patent on that...

As a perk to those in Canada, I'm going to be trying something new this season. On all my in house products, I plan to eat the exchange difference. From what I saw this morning it looked like 1 CAD was .80 USD, so I'm thinking I will offer 20% of my US prices to cover the exchange difference. ;)!. I will be posting details up on the website about this soon.

As a perk to those in Canada, I'm going to be trying something new this season. On all my in house products, I plan to eat the exchange difference. From what I saw this morning it looked like 1 CAD was .80 USD, so I'm thinking I will offer 20% of my US prices to cover the exchange difference. ;)!. I will be posting details up on the website about this soon.

Wonderful news for new and repeat customers from Canada. I have purchased numerous parts and accessories over the past three years from you. Prior to every purchase I always calculated the exchange rate. This was always part of my purchase decision, especially on expensive items.... As we have already discussed I plan on purchasing the MPS for my RX1PEX as soon as it becomes available. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

Wow Travis, that is great news!! Solid fella right there!

Here are a few photos for the thread. Check out the website for detailed info.

IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

1_1.png
So my guess is a form of Mechanical force multiplier. Simple example is the arms on a pliers the longer the arm the more force! the length of a hammer and the weight and it hits harder! Looking at an exploded view and making a guess because Travis is saying less then an hour to install It must mount up top of the steering post ( easy to get at ) and must provide some cam type of action

View attachment 129088 So everyone make a guess and fill in the Blanks !!!!

So I think I had the best guess out of everybody. Is there a prize ??? LOL great job ! Keep the innovation coming !!

Back