• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GSE Performance Power Steering Review

Nope same as stock with it off
thanks, explains allot, I think I had a faulty motor...I understand why you would have a on/off switch for deeper snow. I have the GSE power steering on my sled and it's a real game changer for me. Joe

As a follow-up, I've figure out that I love it on hard pack, but not so much in loose or fresh snow. It's a tough trade off, most of my days have been the former, but when it's in loose snow that "play" in the bars is tough to get used to. But the rest of the time it's incredible
Is the play in the GSE set up the same as the Yamaha EPS system ?
I don't recall the play in my Apex .

Is the play in the GSE set up the same as the Yamaha EPS system ?
I don't recall the play in my Apex .

I don't know, I'm a Cat guy, but as I understand it, the yamaha units did not have play. The GSE unit is actually a superatv universal unit with all the custom brackets needed for the yamacat install. I added the lockout mechanism to bypass the play inherent in the superatv unit.

The Yamaha EPS units didn't have any play, at least not on the Venture TF. The play in the GSE units to me aren't noticeable when you're riding and I like that the GSE unit does not cut out at higher speeds, to me that's a plus not a minus. If I don't have to use allot of effort at high speed means less fatigue at the end of the day. Zipping through twisty trails without strain or having to slow down means I can keep up with 2 strokes and I have the 146 track 2up version of the Sidewinder...it's amazing!! Joe

Tcat, did you just wire in a simple on/off switch? I like your idea of having that switch for deeper snow. Joe

Tcat, did you just wire in a simple on/off switch? I like your idea of having that switch for deeper snow. Joe

I have a switch to cut the power and the then the bypass mechanism which is solenoid actuated as per the pictures/video. Jus cutting the power doesn't eliminate the play in the bars which means it still squirrelly in loose snow

I have a switch to cut the power and the then the bypass mechanism which is solenoid actuated as per the pictures/video. Jus cutting the power doesn't eliminate the play in the bars which means it still squirrelly in loose snow
I really like what you have invented, knowing the conditions of how the GSE EPS works in different snow conditions and how your invention maximizes the riding feel/steering..to me you're a mechanical genius. You should patent your switch or offer it to a manufacturer for a royalty. Joe

I really like what you have invented, knowing the conditions of how the GSE EPS works in different snow conditions and how your invention maximizes the riding feel/steering..to me you're a mechanical genius. You should patent your switch or offer it to a manufacturer for a royalty. Joe

Unfortunately they can do it directly as they have likely done on the 2022's. So my solution is crude (though effective) by comparison

I have been interested in the GSE power steering unit for some time now but haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase because of the slop it creates in the bars. I would notice it big time and it would just drive me nuts (more than I am naturally). I have spoke with GSE at length about this being a issue, super nice guy to talk with. He states mixed reviews with the unit, the most aggressive riders notice the play the least and the average trail rider the most. Some notice the play more than others in there categorized groups. They have been looking at what's causing the additional play introduced into the bars and looking into a solution to cure it. So as with anything time makes improvements and there will be more information coming forth in the months ahead on the GSE power steering unit. Which I look forward to!

I would say it's not about aggressive vs trail rider, (I'm an aggressive trail rider :) ). It's more about hardpack vs loose snow

T-Cat is right, it's more about deep snow than trail hard pack. As far as slop in steering, that to me is only noticeable at completed stop and in loose snow, once the sled starts moving it goes away. At trail speed I do not notice slop at all or anyone else I let try my sled, we all have enjoyed the ease of steering.
Snowden is correct about talking with GSE...super, super nice people to deal with. I have found them to be very helpful and stand behind their product...they want satisfied customers so their business continues to grow...it's a good business practice and I find GSE to be genuine. In full disclosure to the TY community, I have had an intermittent issue and will be bringing my sled to them at Barnes Corner, N.Y. for diagnosis...I'm 100% sure they will correct it. I'm also having other work done by them...service and studding track.
From reading about steering issues here on TY, someone brought up the issue of steering components cracking from too much pressure with EPS...I think with the GSE EPS this is not so much of an issue because from dead stop in deep snow the feed back from the steering bars prevents too much force onto the steering components...just my thoughts ... I'm not a mechanical engineer and I'm sure some of the true experts on this site could weigh in and advise much better on this subject than I. Joe

Tcat100: How did you mount the steering damper?
I mounted it between the spindle steering arm and the lower a-arm where the tie rod connects. But I would say it really didn't have much effect for very long. I think initally it worked better when it was new but quickly became ineffective. I had a ton of money and time in it with no payoff. Sorry!

. In full disclosure to the TY community, I have had an intermittent issue and will be bringing my sled to them at Barnes Corner, N.Y. for diagnosis...I'm 100% sure they will correct it.
Joe,
Was GSE able to fix the intermittent issue with your power steering kit? If so, what was the solution, and has it been trouble free since the repair?
Thanks!

Back