• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical Power Steering for Sidewinder - BTX & XTX "bone spindle" kits now available

What setting are you running on the kit?

• Front

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Middle

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rear (easiest steering)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I speak Canadian Eh! can I get the discount. lol J/k Travis very nice of you to offer that to them. are you maybe going to do a show special price for the snow shows?

So I think I had the best guess out of everybody. Is there a prize ??? LOL great job ! Keep the innovation coming !!

Ya you nailed it I think it was $1,000 prize. Contact Tom he will take it from TY petty cash. JOKE!!!

So simple, yet brilliant!! Good job Travis! So when is the Nytro version coming out? LOL!

That price makes me wish I had spring ordered a 2018 Winder. Travis, this kit should be made available as a dealer installed option.

If I were a dealer, I would be eating the cost of this kit as a bonus to anyone I had sold a 2012+ Apex to. You know most of us would fall off the fence with our checkbook in hand.

Nice work!

Sorry, but I will not be at HayDays. Rock (yamaheater) is just going to have a table top display of the kit. I believe he teams up with Ulmer racing too. They will have some kits available to purchase.

For those going to Haydays, Ulmer Racing is in booth SCN20

And here is a link to the official Haydays Program with map of the vendors and events. (I hope this is ok to post here)

https://mspninc.com/pubs/Haydays/2017-Haydays/html5.html

Looks interesting.....If the brackets rub against the spindle at that slot, I would assume the powder coat is gonna chip away. Just wondering how the test mule did as far as rubbing there.

Simple idea for better leverage, you would think Cat would have just made the spindles with a tad longer throw on their design.

Dan

Sorry, but I will not be at HayDays. Rock (yamaheater) is just going to have a table top display of the kit. I believe he teams up with Ulmer racing too. They will have some kits available to purchase.

Will there be a discount at the show?

It would be my only reason for going, haydays is a zoo.

I know this is a loaded question, but can you give a % of how much easier it is to turn?

I ride a lot of twistys in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Thats were i feel the heavy skis the most.

Thanks for designing this item, i just might keep the sled now.

Last edited:
Will there be a discount at the show?

It would be my only reason for going, haydays is a zoo.

I know this is a loaded question, but can you give a % of how much easier it is to turn?

I ride a lot of twistys in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Thats were i feel the heavy skis the most.

Thanks for designing this item, i just might keep the sled now.

I will only have a few kits available by Haydays and they will be full price.

I'm planning to offer a TY special for US buyers that purchase in my online store for a limited time in September. I will post up details soon with a discount code to enter when you check out in the store. For TY members that already purchased I will issue you a refund. ;)!

I'm looking into getting a spring scale to try and measure the tensile force it takes to turn handlebar. I have 2 identical vipers in shop now so figured I could measure each one and compare. This would just be a static test, but could be one way to try and put a numerical value to the difference is makes.

Looks interesting.....If the brackets rub against the spindle at that slot, I would assume the powder coat is gonna chip away. Just wondering how the test mule did as far as rubbing there.

Simple idea for better leverage, you would think Cat would have just made the spindles with a tad longer throw on their design.

Dan

The slot in the arm is a rather tight tolerance and may even require use of a mallet to tap it onto the web. The spindles are cast, so tolerances will vary from one to next. A tight fit with no side to side play will keep coating damage minimal.

Last edited:
I bet you won't even need the bent steering rods for when you design the nytro kit might be able to use stock ones. As long as it has the 3" forward a arms. Might be a cost saving option. Keep up the good work.

Please explain the reason for the 3 holes , and when would you use the first 2 ?
3 holes give you 3 different levels of assist. The closer to stock location the least amount of steering assistance. My guess is he is offering 3 different locations so the consumer can choose which option works the best for them.

The slot in the arm is a rather tight tolerance and may even require use of a mallet to tap it onto the web. The spindles are cast, so tolerances will vary from one to next. A tight fit with no side to play will keep coating damage minimal.
If something was to break in the notch spindle support , is the sled driveable in the stock position , with the bent steering arms ?

3 holes give you 3 different levels of assist. The closer to stock location the least amount of steering assistance. My guess is he is offering 3 different locations so the consumer can choose which option works the best for them.

Adjustable shocks is a big perk now days. Most consumers like to adjust and tinker, so I figured I'd offer the same. Most will probably opt for the easiest setting, but the option to experiment with 3 settings will intrigue many.

If you don't run the easiest setting you also will not compromise turning radius as much either. This could be a perk to off trail guys that can't sacrifice much increase in turning radius, but still want lighter steering when trail riding to the play areas.

Last edited:
If something was to break in the notch spindle support , is the sled driveable in the stock position , with the bent steering arms ?

It's certainly going to take substantial force other than normal steering force for the failure you describe to occur. So.... lets envision the MPS arm takes a side impact from another sled. The MPS arm will pivot on the mounting bolt and either bend or shear the web off the spindle. Both of these results would likely spare the main ear and allow it to remain in tact, so therefore you would still be to attach the tie rod. Now your ski alignment would be off, but you'd be able to get the sled back to the truck!

Back