• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GSE Performance Power Steering Review

Tcat100

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
ZR9000
I decided to try this this season for a few reasons 1) I'm now running a 137 AC RR instead of a 129 and it's harder to turn 2) I run curve skis with thrusters for super aggressive cornering, and 3) I'm getting to old to wrestle this 4 stroke monster on back to back 200 mile+ days.

https://www.gseperformance.com/prod...-yamaha-sidewinder-and-arctic-cat-thundercat/

The install took about 3 hours. It was very straight forward and great quality. Everything lined up well with no finessing required. The kit weighs 13lbs more than stock, but I saved that much with a EarthX battery. The weight is relatively low so I would say it's unnoticeable. I did wire mine up with an on/off rocker switch on the handlebar, but I'm going to eliminate that soon.

Over all, it's amazing. Makes the sled feel like a 2 stroke in the twisties. When I first rode it in warm weather on rutted trails, I did notice that the sled was more sensitive to "wandering" at high speeds on such snow. This is because there is "play" in steering shaft through the motor which allows the switch mechanism inside the motor to do it's thing. As a result the ski's can turn a bit while the bars are held straight. I notice this is worse with the power steering turned off. To help with this situation, I decided to mount a custom Ohlins motorcycle Steering Dampener between the spindle and the A-arm sway bar mount. This helps introduce some resistance to control the play. Once I did this, the wandering problem was 90% eliminated. Or the condition changed such that I didn't notice the problem...I can't be sure which.

https://www.amazon.com/Ohlins-Steering-Damper-Sd-003/dp/B00AIDZXTC

Overall I am really thrilled with this product. So much so I don't think I would ride a heavy 4 stroke without it. It makes me a lot faster on the trails, and I'm not wiped out at the end of the day. It's pricey for sure, but if you want the ultimate trail machine, this is a must have upgrade IMO. I won't own a 4 stoke without it!

Attachments

• 19813.jpg
    19813.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 871
  • 19812.jpg
    19812.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:

Im looking forward to trying mine this weekend
I had noticed the play as well in the garage and will see how it is but might follow your lead
Thanks for the review

Nice review. I like the idea of this kit but that play in the skis/bars has me worried I would hate it. Big steering play is something that has drove me nuts with Cats in the past.

Got out on mine Saturday. Only 110 miles with mixed conditions. I found a bit of a learning curve in that I'm some use to having to put effort into the turns. Once I learned to relax it was fabulous. Can’t remember the last time i got off and felt so refreshed after a ride. Will be. Doing a 2 day ride this weekend of about 450 miles and really excited for this.
For me this is a game changer. For those who had it on the Attack an Apex you understand what a benefit this is.
I had used the BOP last year and while it does work i found not having the full turning available a concern for me and a pain at times for tight turns.
Pricey yes but will extend my riding years..

Understanding that everyone is different when it comes to a sled's steering, what are your thoughts on needing a steering stabilizer?

Got out on mine Saturday. Only 110 miles with mixed conditions. I found a bit of a learning curve in that I'm some use to having to put effort into the turns. Once I learned to relax it was fabulous. Can’t remember the last time i got off and felt so refreshed after a ride. Will be. Doing a 2 day ride this weekend of about 450 miles and really excited for this.
For me this is a game changer. For those who had it on the Attack an Apex you understand what a benefit this is.
I had used the BOP last year and while it does work i found not having the full turning available a concern for me and a pain at times for tight turns.
Pricey yes but will extend my riding years..
Did you notice the "play" when riding, and if so, did it bother you?

Can’t say that i do
For me it’s only when I’m sitting stopped that i notice it. When I’m riding its just focus on the ride and don’t notice the play. Likely as the bars are often moving.

As a follow-up, I've figure out that I love it on hard pack, but not so much in loose or fresh snow. It's a tough trade off, most of my days have been the former, but when it's in loose snow that "play" in the bars is tough to get used to. But the rest of the time it's incredible

Update for 2020...Covid got me thinking, what about having a power steering "lock out" when you don't want it, such that the steering shaft is "solid" vs having the play when you don't need it?

I have a video to explain it better but I can't load it because it is too big

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_203505646.jpg
    IMG_20200916_203505646.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_20200912_110836242.jpg
    IMG_20200912_110836242.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_20200907_180110188.jpg
    IMG_20200907_180110188.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_20200907_161013958.jpg
    IMG_20200907_161013958.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_20200907_180145819.jpg
    IMG_20200907_180145819.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
No drilling or welding....... now that’s no fun!

:drink:

Well thought I'd update on this as now it comes stock on the new 22's. My set up with the steering slope bypass is working very well after a single hiccup (I was stroking the solenoid past its recommended max causing it to burnout - all fixed now). I can say that about 75% of the time I ride with it off, as I'm at speed or on straight trails and it's not needed. But when I get in the woods, on she goes and the sled is transformed to a sled that's easier to handle than my XCR 850. I can drive it faster through the woods than that XCR. So the idea that it's not a performance feature is misguided in my view. It absolutely adds to the speed when the trails get twisty, at least for me. All this said, it would be great getting this from the factory as I said earlier.

Well thought I'd update on this as now it comes stock on the new 22's. My set up with the steering slope bypass is working very well after a single hiccup (I was stroking the solenoid past its recommended max causing it to burnout - all fixed now). I can say that about 75% of the time I ride with it off, as I'm at speed or on straight trails and it's not needed. But when I get in the woods, on she goes and the sled is transformed to a sled that's easier to handle than my XCR 850. I can drive it faster through the woods than that XCR. So the idea that it's not a performance feature is misguided in my view. It absolutely adds to the speed when the trails get twisty, at least for me. All this said, it would be great getting this from the factory as I said earlier.
Tcat, did you find that with the GSE EPS turned off as in your modification that the steering was harder than stock ( without EPS). Joe

Back