• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical Power Steering for Sidewinder - BTX & XTX "bone spindle" kits now available

What setting are you running on the kit?

• Front

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Middle

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rear (easiest steering)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
can you do a video showing install?

My father just bought a viper so we are going to be installing MPS on it. We will do a video when we install it.

I do have step by step install instructions posted on MPS page on my website.

My father just bought a viper so we are going to be installing MPS on it. We will do a video when we install it.

I do have step by step install instructions posted on MPS page on my website.

BTW, I found the step by step on your site to be a little vague. It is unclear as to where to use the washers you sent in the kit. I'm pretty sure I know but it might not be clear to others. Video is a good idea.

BTW, I found the step by step on your site to be a little vague. It is unclear as to where to use the washers you sent in the kit. I'm pretty sure I know but it might not be clear to others. Video is a good idea.

I looked back through my directions and I do call out where to use the washers. I think I will revise the images and add some arrows and text to call out where the washers go to help clarify.

I appreciate the feedback. Perspective from someone that is not familiar with the product certainly helps me generate more informative instructions for those not as mechanically inclined.

Just bought the kit at the Milwaukee snow show. Thanks, Travis! Looking forward to trying it out. Come on La Nina!

Screenshot_20171015-175953.jpg
Screenshot_20171015-175855.jpg
I looked back through my directions and I do call out where to use the washers. I think I will revise the images and add some arrows and text to call out where the washers go to help clarify.

I appreciate the feedback. Perspective from someone that is not familiar with the product certainly helps me generate more informative instructions for those not as mechanically inclined.
I was successful in getting the kit installed. At a liesurely pace, it took a couple of hours which included finding the right tools (which were minimal), getting sled into air on the lift, downloading an Android flashlight app, and putting everything away when completed.

Was not terribly difficult and actually simpler than I feared.

With that said... I have a question... the sales model at the Milwaukee snow show had flat spots on the piece holding the tie rods at the ski strut allowing a wrench to hold it while you tighten the castle nut underneath. The factory component has the wrenchable flat spots too. The kit I purchased didn't appear to have those which prevented the ability to really snug the castle nut yielding a tad bit of slop.

I'm hopeful the pics attached are useful in seeing this. The first pic is my sled and the second is the model display at the snow show. Will this slop be problematic?

Last edited:
View attachment 131192 View attachment 131193
I was successful in getting the kit installed. At a liesurely pace, it took a couple of hours which included finding the right tools (which were minimal), getting sled into air on the lift, downloading an Android flashlight app, and putting everything away when completed.

Was not terribly difficult and actually simpler than I feared.

With that said... I have a question... the sales model at the Milwaukee snow show had flat spots on the piece holding the tie rods at the ski strut allowing a wrench to hold it while you tighten the castle nut underneath. The factory component has the wrenchable flat spots too. The kit I purchased didn't appear to have those which prevented the ability to really snug the castle nut yielding a tad bit of slop.

I'm hopeful the pics attached are useful in seeing this. The first pic is my sled and the second is the model display at the snow show. Will this slop be problematic?

So the stud on the tie rod end is not machined for a wrench?! Very strange. I've been buying them all from same supplier. They should be as shown on the display model.

You are the first that has said anything about this. I am going to check the ones I have in inventory tomorrow to see if they are correct. I will get you taken care of. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

So the stud on the tie rod end is not machined for a wrench?! Very strange. I've been buying them all from same supplier. They should be as shown on the display model.

You are the first that has said anything about this. I am going to check the ones I have in inventory tomorrow to see if they are correct. I will get you taken care of. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I'm hopeful I was correct with my quick visual inspection after I was done. Sled is 20 miles away so I can't go check easily, but will have someone look for me again tomorrow as well and let you know what they tell me. Maybe the fabricators missed one (or two)?

Thanks much for the response!

Why Yamaha has not hired Travis as some type of R-D guru/engineer is beyond me. Another great product bud, his product's are great.. his customer service is amazing.. Hopefully I'll be able to swing a viper next summer.. this will be the first upgrade!

Mine are round on two ends and flat spots on the side. Looks closer to first photo though with two flat spots

I'm hopeful I was correct with my quick visual inspection after I was done. Sled is 20 miles away so I can't go check easily, but will have someone look for me again tomorrow as well and let you know what they tell me. Maybe the fabricators missed one (or two)?

Odds are against you as those that are checking all have flat spots for wrench. All the ones I have left in stock here at shop have the flat spots too. Keep me posted once you double check.

If you have access to a grinder the flat spots could easily appear...

Odds are against you as those that are checking all have flat spots for wrench. All the ones I have left in stock here at shop have the flat spots too. Keep me posted once you double check.
I have CONFIRMED, and I WAS WRONG!!!!

What are the chances the lighting and the angles I looked at these things made them both appear without wrench spots. Off to the optomitrist for me...

Travis and the fab team are 100% CORRECT!

Thanks for you quick responses and I hope all here see you are a valuable member to this site and rider base! I also can't wait to hit the trails with your creativity, ingenuity, and resulting product!

Carry on...

If you have access to a grinder the flat spots could easily appear...

They could, but I would certainly never require a customer to take to that route. I stand behind what I sell and would make it right. I had 2 more ends on my shipping table ready to send out if needed. Turns out Epicsw just needs better lights in the shop! Ha.

Back