• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

mirror kits for RX or RS

vector_1

Extreme
I am considering the "touring mirror" that includes a deflector shield, although the mirrors seem a bit small. Just large enough to see if someone is behind you, not for actual determination if it is one of your buds or wife. Has any one else mounted this kit or mounted the std. mirrors?

Thanks for the reply.

If you are refering to the kit that blends into the hood save your money. You can't see behind you. Get the new kit that mounts the mirrors to the windshield.

Just picked up the kit for a 05 rs venture. Have not installed yet but looks like a big enough mirror by a long shot. I will be installing the kit on a 03 rx1 shorty.The Yamaha part # is 8et-w2628-00. This is the kit that installs on the front of the windshield just above the headlamps. There is a re-inforcement bracket that goes under the hood. Got the kit at the Novi, mi show last weekend for $70 plus tax.

Silvergohst, is that a Garmin GPS Mount next to your speedo? That is a great idea if that is what it is?

RippinV

You are correct! I have a Garmin 60CS. I bought a handlebar mount and cut it in half, drilled and extra hole in it and mounted it on an aluminum plate. I painted the plate black and attached the plate to the sled using velcro. I ordered the 12v power outlet from Yamaha but they are currently backordered, the batteries don't last very long in the cold weather.

If your interested I can post some more detailed pics of the mount.

GPS bracket

Silver_Ghost:
I'm very interested in the GPS bracket & the wiring kit for the 12-volt power. I have a Lowrance and would like to do the same on a 2005 Rage, by the way I have the same mirror kit mounted on the Rage. I would appreciate it if you would post the details, or even if you would be kind enough to e-mail the info.
Thanks, cgwiz (cgwiz@aol.com)

CGWIZ,

I don't know much about the Lowrance but I will show you what I did with my Garmin 60CS. Basically I took a handle bar mount and cut it down and mounted to a piece of aluminum and then used velcro to mount it next to the tach. I also made a mount for an external antenna which uses a magnetic mount. I was going to hard wire a power plug using the 3 amp accessory circuit but I decided to order the 12v power outlet from Yamaha and use a 12v cigarette adapter, although the power outlet is currently on back order according to my dealer.

See the images below I hope this helps...

Attachments

• 12v Plug.JPG
    12v Plug.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Antenna Mount.JPG
    Antenna Mount.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,116
I'm not on my computer right now, but I mounted the touring kit on my 05 RX1ER. I'm very pleased with how it came out. Check out some pics I posted....."rode today....." thread.

Silver_Ghost
Thanks for the reply, very intuitive! just a couple questions, have you tried your Garmin w/o the external antenna? Also how well does the holder keep the GPS unit in place when hitting bumps?
It appears the Lowrance is very similar. I was torn between the Garmin & the Lowrance, but decided on the latter when I could obtain a memory chip preloaded with "Northern Ontario" GPS data which is where I ride.
Again very intuitive setup!
Cgwiz

cgwiz,

My GPS averages about a 15 to 20 ft accuracy with a clear view of the sky but when I get into heavy tree cover the signal gets weak. With the external antenna I get a constant 8 ft accuracy in clear sky. The signal is boosted so I think it will do better under tree cover. I've been signed up to do the trail maps for our local club this year so I thought the antenna would help. I got the antenna for $19.49 from WWW.Gilsson.Com so I figured it was worth a try.

I have not yet had the proper ground cover to take out the sled and try the mount to see how it works but it is on there pretty solid.

This garmin does not use chips. It has ~ 56meg of memory and I load in the maps as needed from the PC.

SG

Mirrors Again

I have purchased of pair of mirrors for my RX-1 and from what I can see there are no instructions on where to install.

I have looked through the previous postings but cannot find any information on where to mount these suckers. The pictures from the previous postings are no longer on the forum.

Can anyone help?

Mark (Crandon_RX1)

race24x said:
On the windshield mounted mirrirs will they fold in under my super cover. It is a very tight fit and I dont want to buy another cover

They fold in a fit under my Warrior cover. It was also my concern. They fold into the curve in the windshield on each side. So they increase the size of the windshield by the size of the mirror in that area. Just the head of it that you look in by the way.

Not sure how tight a super cover fits to the windshield. My deluxe has enough room.

Back