• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Missing coolant??

I have done a lot of reading on pretty much everyone's posts. I have an issue with my sidewinder as well. Went for a ride yesterday and the coolant was down a few oz and just assumed air . Went again today with a few guys for a 60 mile run and didn't perform as good as it usually does. Decided to check my belt and clutches and noticed the coolant level dropped quite a bit. Hmm! Checked the oil level and it was way above the full mark. I took the exhaust off and drained almost 10/12 oz of oil and only dropped down to the full mark. This was for 2 days riding. Taking the sled in to the dealer tomorrow.

I have done a lot of reading on pretty much everyone's posts. I have an issue with my sidewinder as well. Went for a ride yesterday and the coolant was down a few oz and just assumed air . Went again today with a few guys for a 60 mile run and didn't perform as good as it usually does. Decided to check my belt and clutches and noticed the coolant level dropped quite a bit. Hmm! Checked the oil level and it was way above the full mark. I took the exhaust off and drained almost 10/12 oz of oil and only dropped down to the full mark. This was for 2 days riding. Taking the sled in to the dealer tomorrow.

Did you drain check your oil when the sled was warm? Mine is doing the same thing however i let it sit over night and the oil site tube when from packed full back to normal. Its at the dealer now.

Mine is doing exactly as yours. The oil I drained yesterday, the sled was cool and brought it down to the full mark. This morning it was just in the middle between the 2 marks. I also took my sled to the dealer. I mentioned that every time I go riding I have to add anywhere from 4-6oz even more if I run a full day at 150-180 kms.

I got a call from the dealer working on my sled. They had 2 different shop hands ride it hard for an hour each time . It ran at 168/170 temp. Pressure tested for 2 hours straight. No leaks, no coolant loss and definitely no coolant in the oil. No codes.

Laidback - Same results for me as well! Strange we have twin sleds! Yamaha keeps asking dealer for more testing, riding, monitoring, etc. I said change the damn oil and give it back to me and I will ride and and monitor LOL.

Dealer called me. Come pick it up and ride like there is no tomorrow and hard. We will take care of it if you have a major issue. No worries they said!!!!

I sure got a surprise this morning. Go to my shop , open the side panel and the coolant tank is totally empty. WT heck!!!! Added 9oz to bring it up to the cold mark

Last edited:
only have 512km's. It has done this since day 1. Oil has no coolant in it. Oil doesn't go up or down on . Absolutely no exterior leaks. No weird smoke or smell. Even the service dept was confused when I called them this morning. He is going to contact whoever at Yamaha to see what else to do come Monday morning. Service dept said to keep riding and they will honor the warranty for telling me to keep on riding. The sled is stock, no addons. After this issue is resolved it's a different story.

Yamaha made my dealer remove the water pump and it was full of sludge like goop. They have no idea what to do and keep disassembling parts. I'm not real happy!
I would say someone put an additive in the coolant at some point. I saw this one time on a Vector, water pump area was like jello. I asked the customer if he had used an additive and he said yes.

only have 512km's. It has done this since day 1. Oil has no coolant in it. Oil doesn't go up or down on . Absolutely no exterior leaks. No weird smoke or smell. Even the service dept was confused when I called them this morning. He is going to contact whoever at Yamaha to see what else to do come Monday morning. Service dept said to keep riding and they will honor the warranty for telling me to keep on riding. The sled is stock, no addons. After this issue is resolved it's a different story.
Drain the oil and measure the amount that comes out. I bet there is too much in it. I'm not sure why they vary on the guage sometimes, but I overfilled mine recently thinking it was low, but it wasn't really.

I am going on Sunday for a ride with a few guys in case I have any issues and when I come back I will check everything again and then change the oil. I have a friend in the city that wants me to send him the oil sample and he will let me know if and what is in the oil. I guess I will find out how low the coolant will get after tomorrows ride.

Just talked to my dealer about this.
Here are the steps. Run the machines for a few minutes. Shut the machine off for a few minutes, then check the oil level. In between the oil level marks, they want it to be 25% above the low level.

Back