• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

model change

Gill_VK06

Veteran
Ok you die hard VK owners. I thought my 06 vk with a few upgrades was pretty good in regards to ride and handling. WRONG ANSWER, I have a friend that has the new Bear Cat..........wow. Now this machine has a ride and handles like nothing else I have rode before it. I am due for a new machine next year, I will be looking at a Bear Cat unless Yamaha changes the chassis and actually makes a real rear skid.

Don't take my word, check it out for yourself!

Hey Gill,

Can the Bearcat work also? I noticed that one of it's accessories is a radiator. That might hint that the standard cooling setup isn't enough for real work activities like grooming.

That one I don't know about.

I guess if I was pulling a groomer most of the time I wouldn't consider anything else. For me I put on 5000km's last season with 4000 of that joy riding and the other hauling wood and logs. Being able to carry a load on the machine and enjoy the way it handles is top priority.

After all it is 2009 and with today's technology it shouldn't be difficult to get a machine that is fun to ride and pull a load!!!

Hey Gill,

I agree with you. I think it's great that the utility segment has finally been getting some attention, the competition is going to produce better sleds and we benefit.

I spend all day on my VK Pro grooming. And I do this too many days of the week to really do any riding just for fun. I know I should change that. So I'm the last person to ask about how sleds perform from a pure riding perspective.

On the grooming side I'm very satisified with my VK Pro after the second radiator install and my larger flexi-skis. It's a keeper for me for a number of years.

If I was ever forced to another brand (because of dealer issues or whatever), then for grooming I'd probably go back to a Skandic SWT 800, or consider the Polaris IQ Widetrack. Everyone knows the Skandic and all it's positive work horse attributes. The new Polaris has received strong reviews for it's cooling, but it has a soft rear end. The Bearcat needs a high/low transmission to make my criteria for a worthy worksled. Just my perspective for grooming only.

Your right, one time we didn't expect a good ride out of a utility sled. Today we want it all.

Artic cat says they don't need a high and low. The new diamond drive trans gives you a low ratio and high speed.

I guess preference is a factor also, personaly I woundn't own a "ski doo" I have too many nightmares of the old olympic days. Regards for Polaris, I have had them before and think they are plain and basic. I prefer Yamaha or Cat.

I am supprised that you need an extra rad for the VK. I have hauled heavy loads long distances (10km) and haven't had any trouble. I guess the temperature generally is colder up here -25 c with windchill today.

I wonder how that AC starts in -40F temps. The VK seems to handle it OK but I have been around the earlier 660 Bearcats that had trouble in really cold temps. My friend always carries a small booster pack under the AC seat.

The new motor must be a beast and I must say, the earlier Bearcats had plenty of low-end grunt with their very large secondary clutch system. The suspension would be a major selling point. The big cat must ride nice if it is anything like the 660's. Yamaha has an opportunity to develop a rear skid that can carry a load AND ride nicely on a bumpy trail. I'm sure the factory boys are reading these posts. They need to go back and look at the old SRV skid from the 80's. Yamaha had the best riding and most durable rear suspension out there back then. Whoops...I just gave away my age.

Back