• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler bolts or studs

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
5 seasons with factory bolts. Always use Nichol & torque to specs, zero issues. This year tuned sled to 270/280 & added pm, over 350miles ago. Removed bolts today, completely locked on. I assume the additional heat Is the cause?!?!
What's everyone doing to remove bolts. I'm definitely going to break one, sooner or later.

5 seasons with factory bolts. Always use Nichol & torque to specs, zero issues. This year tuned sled to 270/280 & added pm, over 350miles ago. Removed bolts today, completely locked on. I assume the additional heat Is the cause?!?!
What's everyone doing to remove bolts. I'm definitely going to break one, sooner or later.
Start up the sled to operating temp, let cool a little then remove the bolts. Tends to put a little heat in them.

Now just relax! Put some heavy heat on and use a SHORT wrench. Like 1/4 drive. I find using 1/4 helps to not break bolts or prevent over torque stuff. Breath!

Last edited:
Strange. I’ve run the stock bolts for lots of kms. Put them on and off with the dewalt gun. No anti seize. Haven’t had an issue since 2017.

Factory torque spec is like 18 ft lbs. Many sleds I've seen guys way over-tighten them.
I’m not sure what metal the bolts are made of, but it’s different than most bolts. Usually with the impact gun, a bolt will keep tightening til it breaks or stretched a bit. The stock muffler
Bolts just stop when they are tight.

Back