• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Apex GT Projector Headlight Retrofit (HID enabled)

The (2) very small gauge lead wires that go to the hi/lo shutter solenoid on the projector should not connect to your ballast, unless it is some new type of ballast I have't seen before.

Those small leads should connect to the relay harness that is between your sleds electrical system and the the ballasts.

You likely have one of the 2 styles of relay harnesses installed between your sleds wiring harness and the HID's. The original style and the newer more compact style are both posted below with captions on how to connect everything.

originalstyle_zps8f648e46.jpg

type1_zpsf4a374d3.jpg

thanks so much for the picture and detailed response. I don't have either one of those. My hid ballest I bought in 2008 so they are a few years old now. The original hid bulbs where the kind that moved backwards to turn on the high beams. Coming out of my ballest I have 3 wires. Two are for the bulb and the other was for the high beam. I thought if I hooked the projector up to the ballest high beam wire it would all work. Instead when I hit the high beam button on the sled the high beams just flash for a second and then go back to low beams.

Can you buy these harness separate? Or was it supposed to come with the projectors?

So no one has done this and blacked out it all?

vmax4ever said:
So no one has done this and blacked out it all?

There's not much left to be blacked out in the photos 3 posts back. What else would you consider other than the small "white" rings the poster painted onto the projector shrouds.

Do you mean the entire sled in black or just the inside of the headlight pod?

missed it, sikrsix any more straight in front of the sled photo.

Sorry I didn't get an email notification that there were responses. Uploading some more pictures now.

And one while running. Lights are 6000k but look more like 8000k in the pictures.

Skid plate on, Lake Effect riser on, Center of hood painted black, etc. A-Arms are no longer maroon as of now. never liked that color but got the sled for a steal.

Both kits loo awesome! Great job!! Looks like some time invested, but well worth it!

For the yamaha apex, it seems that the 2.5" Mini H1 will be max you could go without doing major surgery on the projector shroud and the stock reflector bucket. Even then the larger 3" projector may not clear the depth of the housing.

To give you some perspective on scale, the 2.5" Mini H1 Kit I used was a snug fit. Here is a side by side comparison to a 3" FXR projector. Also, keep in mind the 3" projectors do not have a threaded base that effortlessly attaches to the stock halogen bulb mount. They require drilling 4 holes in your reflector bucket or a modified user-supplied backer and mounting it with bolts.
95094bf0_zps859e8ecb.jpg

I found it to be a gamble to even buy the kit I chose because I was on the fence as to if it would even fit inside the stock housing. It is kind of hard to measure for clearances with the housing not split open. So I was really pumped when I put the projectors in and they cleared the front of the stock housing. If it hadn't fit, I planned to install them on my car.

To answer your question about bulb type, no I have not found any retrofit kits that use the bulbs that came with your sledstart kit.

Remember that on the sled start kit the hi/low function is facilitated by the moving hid bulb fore and aft. The projector retrofit kits utilize a fixed postion bulb with a shutter that raises and lowers to provide for high and low beams.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread HID gear has become a commodity especially on that online auction website. I got a pair of warranteed bulbs for my projectors shipped to me for free from a US seller in New Jersey for $9.99.
So your saying my stock bulbs nor h4 led's will not work with this kit? I should buy a HID kit?

Back