• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Recommendations on best Helmet

http://www.g-max.com/Gmax/helmets/gm44simcoe.html

220-240$ with E shield good price.

Best helmet I have owned has LED light shows that shield is on it is warm and comfortable and looks great. The E shield best one I have had. Last helmet was HJC and the shield broke for an unknown reason 6 months into season...I like the cods on the Gmax better as well it is out of the way when riding and I never worry about it like my old helmet.

As far as I can tell every modular helmet is leaky and cold. So cold in fact it makes my eyes water at speeds over 35mph. The ones I have tried were gmax, hjc and ckx

sloan188 said:
I have 4 years on a bv2s and it is hands down the best helmet I have used. No electric shield and the only time I have ever wished I had one was in freezing rain.

Electric shield is useless in freezing rain.

Not sure which HJC modular you're using, but I have the IS Max. I tried on a lesser priced HJC modular and it didn't fit as well. I must say I really like the Max. I wear a balaclava and stay plenty warm..... No watery eyes here.

Gmax with my unwind balaclava I took the wind deflector out of helmet cause any wind goes right into your eyes with that thing. I have had no leak issues and I was concerned about it. I am really happy with my helmet. I had a non modular electric shield helmet before and I like the modular better. More vents and options on warm/ cold days and it works well for me.

Electric shield works well in freezing rain it stays wet on shield you just have to wipe a lot but I feel if I didn't have electric it would be ice on my shield and I would not be able to wipe it off easily which would cause me issues.

BVS2 best helmet I've ever had. Its almost to warm a -5 or so. I have an electric shield for it and use it when it is really cold mostly because I hate shaving and with a bit of facial hair the seal is not perfect. Clean shaven it does not leak.

nickleuci said:
sloan188 said:
I have 4 years on a bv2s and it is hands down the best helmet I have used. No electric shield and the only time I have ever wished I had one was in freezing rain.

I was out in freezing rain friday and my electric HJC worked well! It didn't clear the water, I've got a wiper on my glove for that, but it kept it from sticking. My jacket was an entirely solid layer of ice when I was done riding, so it was cold enough to freeze!

As far as the HJC, yeah, it leaks some air, so if its below zero I'll tape up the area around the face shield with clear electrical tape. Give up some ease of use but well worth it.

I am very happy with my GMAX54s modular. I have ridden without problems in -40. I personally cannot wear the breath deflector on a BV2S. Never had a problem with freezing rain as long as the shield is powered. The sun visor on the other hand is useless. On one trip in Quebec, the only rider with us wearing a BV2S bought a 54s at a trail side shop because he was having problems with his BV2S. I will say it can be a real bitch when there is no power (blown fuse) lost or broken wire, cracked shield. I am usually lead 6 or more people around QC and we invariably have someone who has a heated shield problem. Last year we repaired a shield on TQ 23 in the park when it was -30C. Fun!

nickleuci said:
sloan188 said:

then I'm not missing anything...I figured it would make it easier for the finger squeegee...

I would say no on bvs had one hated it went to a modular 2 loved hi had it for 5 years just bought a ski doo vision 180 like it the best

BV2S is awesome.

Be aware the early builds had some design flaws that were fixed around 2004 ish.

One thing you need to watch for is the face mask air intake valves.

The updated face mask looks like this, and this is the one you want:
bv2s_breathing_mask_99.jpg

The original face mask valves only had 3 "spokes" and they did not seal well and created a fogging nightmare. Stay away from any helmet with face mask valves that look like the Mercedes-Benz emblem like this:
bvs_2b.jpg

t_bv2s-helmets_210.jpg

BV2S and an open face unwind(not the knockoffs) here, best combo I've ever used. I have a beard and still don't get any fogging and do not have the electric shield. Frosts a bit on the edges on really cold rides -30 or more, but has so much more lateral viability than any open face with goggles I've used or conventional closed face helmet, my neck sure thanks me at the end of the day. Plus you get the drop down sun shield and led light on the back. Not having to pull my helmet off on the trail to have a conversation is the biggest plus. You do get the frozen breath icicle hanging down the front on really cold days but it's a trade off I'm willing to make and I don't think it's slowing me down!?

Attachments

• 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 199
I have a Gmax 44S and like it a lot. The fit for me is terrific and the latch system works perfectly with gloves. I have never needed to use the electric shield even in -30C nor have any complaints about air leaks. This might be explained by the huge windshield on my RS Venture GT and the Klim Goretex balaclava that is simply fantastic and worth every penny. Bought it in an August sale at Royal (with the elec shield) for under $200. The new one has the LED light and the sunshade both of which I think are goofy and gimmicky.

Back