• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Never shop for groceries on empty stomach

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
It also holds true to posting when pissed off........BUT!!!

I have just about reached the end of my rope!!!!!

I bought a 2014 sled cause I was tired of constantly working on old stuff and brand new Polaris blowing up at 750 miles. But I wanted more than the stock form could offer so I chose the Viper cause I cannot ride the Nytro (body giving out) but needed more power, as Tim Taylor would say. So it was the perfect fit. A sled I can ride with a proven power plant that can be turbosized without many documented problems. So I pulled the trigger, even knowing the sled had a few handling issues I would have to deal with. $20 some thousand dollars later I had my 190 ish hp toy that I had dreamed of.

Within 160 miles, actually on the first TY ride of the year I dropped a cylinder 80 miles from the hotel and had to ride it back on two at any rpms under 6000. The next day it started and ran fine (WTF). So rode it a few miles then blew P1338 & P1339 codes. I stopped next door at the Yami dealer and told him what was happening he said "you will have to read your manual for that". Tried to adjust the front skid shock because the push was so bad I could not turn it in the parking lot. Had to borrow a 5# sledge and a crow bar. Rode the rest of the weekend with no more issues other than the thumb warmer never worked. Went home and then rode around the house for a couple days and dropped a cylinder again. Stopped to eat, came out fired right up and ran fine. By the way I called the Yami dealer that installed the turbo and relayed all of this and he said it is not motor it is electrical! and that is why my thumb warmer and the left side of my gauge does not light up.

After the 2nd time dropping a cylinder I got worried and added boost and AFR gauges just to monitor the situation. The next weekend I was running again with YamahaTim who is also turboed and we had a blast till I hit a rail grade and held it WOT for about a 1/4 mile and it hiccupped then kept going. We stopped for lunch and when I got off the smoke rolled out of every opening. I opened the exhaust side panel and there was oil all over the turbo and the exhaust. I had to shovel snow into it to keep it from bursting into flames (BIG MISTAKE), It was reading 176 degrees, 6#'s boost and 12.2 AFR at WOT. We ate and came out it fired right up and went the 40 miles home like it was on rails.

The next day I called the installing dealer AND the turbo Manufacturer both said HMMM, must be the ball valve in the breather tube return thingy got frozen (it was 34 deg and raining at the time), I went home and pulled the hood which takes a sled lift, a swivel head socket and 2 different size bits to perform. I could see a quart of oil min all over the place but because you cannot start this thing without the hood on it I had to assume it was just coming out the thingy! 4 days later I left for the UP and rode with some friends. I ate an 800 sno pro for lunch on the trail and the flowage he could not get to 80 mph and was P.Oed. Later that night at least 80 miles from camp I dropped a cylinder again so bad it would not pick up the 3rd ever. We stopped for dinner and I made arrangements for a trailer ride home. We came out I hit the switch and it fired on all 3 and I rode it home with no problem.

The next day all my friends left for home, not me going solo!! I started to leave at 8 am, had pulled the sled nose in - NO REVERSE. I drug it around 180 degrees and left. I went 12 miles and dropped a cylinder. I turned around and got abut 50 ft when it shut off. Temp 176 boost was at 4 and AFR at 12.3 when it shut down. I waited no start for an hour. No cell signal I started to walk. It was Monday no one out at 8:30 am. I forgot my cell so I went back just for giggles I hit it and it started on 2 I jumped on and rode it home, got to the trailer and it died and would not start.

I had to call around and found a come along and got it on by myself. I took it straight back to the installing dealer. It took a week for them to get the time to pull a compression check and say - There is none!! It took another week to open it up and tell me it blew a hole between cylinder 2 and 3 and this would not be covered under warranty cause it was the boost gauge that caused it - (HUH) They said that the vac hose got a small hole from the heat shield on the turbo........ but the gauges were not on the first several times it happened and your telling me that it would run 12.4 on the AFR but still blow the block and not burn the pistons? YUP.

Ok I guess its a $20 some K paper weight I have to fix it, How much? 4 to 5 K........ Well if were going to have apart then take it to the next level - Carillo rods, Wiseco Low comp pistons and upgrade turbo to 10# boost - When will it be done? this Monday no problem (That was a week and a half ago and 3 weeks since I dropped It off) after missing 3 self imposed deadlines I picked it up today. The new fuel pump did not fit so it is still at 6#s of boost, new wastegate and other parts in. Oh and by the way he even did the reverse detent update for free, Bill was $6,300 and we still don't have the extra boost.

I drove it home 3 hrs in the biggest blizzard we have had in years to my shop to install an adjustable limiter strap and the new exhaust pipe. It snowed so much the garage door was froze shut and I had to pry it open. I tipped the trailer and drove it in reverse off the trailer. I hit the reverse button an it continued to beep, pushed it several more times nothing. I had to back the sled over 1/4 mile around the outside of the shop and into the bay.

I stripped the body off and installed the new can. I jacked it off the ground and pulled the limiter straps and went to install the UNIVERSAL ADJUSTABLE STRAP and it would not work cause of the design of the front W arm, The adjuster laid against the shock and was held out of line by over an inch and you cannot turn it around cause it hit the drivers. Then I got into the reverse deal, I removed the actuator and rotated the gear selecter back to forward and it did not line up with the teeth on the detent. by the way 2 of the 3 ears the torx screw go through are cracked from over tightening. I removed the detent and aligned the selector gear and put it back together. I started it up and nothing. I pulled apart and started the sled with the actuator loose in my hand and hit the button and can feel it tork but the gear does not move. I put it all back together and loaded it on the trailer.

We are getting 18" + tonight and I am going to ride this thing if it kills me. Oh and I am leaving on Sunday for 4 days in International falls of riding and then to the Yooper to finish the week this will be fun with no reverse and I have to do the 500 mile break in all over again.

I BETTER HAVE FUN DA#$%.

By the way at 1000 miles the hyfax are still like new :Rockon:

Mr Sled - feel free to delete if you wish :o|

Hope you have good luck, I'm from the falls if you need any help while you are riding in my back door give me a call Jerry 807 274-6907 I live in fort frances just across the border but I ride in the my home place all the time.

Well, i guess my problems are not that bad...we will get them right! At least the lights still work! :o|

I'd be loosing faith in my dealer if I were you. Seems everything they touch goes to hell. Hope your trip goes well, you deserve it.

The wife goes by her self , because if we all go at check out its double !
We can't walk out of costco with out paying $500 thank god it's only once a month!

All your problems, even the melt down sounds like all electrical IMO.

Either way, hope your sled gets the bugs out before you snap. ;)!

Steve,
You have the right to post your issues. I dont blame this on Yamaha for your loss I blame this on the dealer install of that Turbo. You never drove the thing without the Turbo on the trail to validate any of the issues that came up after the install.

We all have to remember if you leave it alone and you have issues with a new sled, we can blame it on the manufacture but when you add anything aftermarket you just turned the blame back onto yourself or who did the work for you. Trust me it hurts to go fast and when I blew 2 motors on my supercharger I did not blame Yamaha or MPI... it was my fault for not understanding and knowing what I was doing... as I did all the work and I was the person that was driving it.

Yamadog, I bought a Virago motorcycle new in 1985 that developed the exact same symptoms you had. Occasionally just before it dropped the front cylinder it would detonate like bad fuel. Goes without saying what detonation can do to a head gasket......

Finally after chasing everything after the dealer couldn't fix it I changed the ECU.....and it fixed it. Not saying that is your problem but.............

MrSled said:
Steve,
You have the right to post your issues. I dont blame this on Yamaha for your loss I blame this on the dealer install of that Turbo. You never drove the thing without the Turbo on the trail to validate any of the issues that came up after the install.

We all have to remember if you leave it alone and you have issues with a new sled, we can blame it on the manufacture but when you add anything aftermarket you just turned the blame back onto yourself or who did the work for you. Trust me it hurts to go fast and when I blew 2 motors on my supercharger I did not blame Yamaha or MPI... it was my fault for not understanding and knowing what I was doing... as I did all the work and I was the person that was driving it.

Well Tom I agree with you to a certain extent,
There was no turbo issues! The turbo had nothing to do with Steve's problems, as well as mine. The turbo did not cause the reverse not to work, or the gauge or the hand warmer! Yes modding something can cause problems, but this engine was pretty bullet proof with 6 pounds of boost. But that was never the issue I'm this case as well as mine! Is it coincidence that we had it done at the same dealer? We both had totally different problems! Mine never had any signs of codes or reverse problems or hand warmer, or running on two cylinders or what not. He never had clutch problems, but I did. So to me that's not a turbo problem!! There are over 100 post with people having some sort of clutching issues. Maybe mine was a little worse because of the power, but not the main source!

Mine is sitting in the shop because it keeps throwing oil out the vent hose. Why, well it's not the turbo! It might be a cause of it cause the canister was moved for the turbo, but then a simple change out of the canister would have fixed that. I never had codes, I never ran on two cylinders everything was tip top. This issue IMO is first of all, Yamaha motor Cat ECU, did yamaha fix that with the 15's who knows. Did they fix the clutch who knows. Why don't we get a call from our dealers saying hey we have a fix for the ECU and the clutch! Granted everyone has issues with first year gremlins. But how about a fix. We were all desperately awaiting a new model. It came we all jumped. 1049 motor pro cross chassis what could go wrong. Just a couple of mating them together problems. Yamaha said five new models the next five years. Is this a sign of what we have to look forward to??? I love snowmobiling way to much to have my sled sitting in the shop! If Yamaha can't figure this out and get the necessary fixes for the 14's where does our confidence come from anymore? What do we keep saying wait another year? I'm not! I will get mine fixed and ride it, it is a great sled! But nothing seems to be changing except people's choice of sled, and maybe mine too!! I should of put a bad #*$&@ front end on my Nytro and kept that! That thing was bullet proof! It was fast after some major mods, but I started with a 600 class sled with full intentions of fixing it up. That's why I went with the turbo right away. But the turbo is not at fault here!

Yamaha is! They have let us down for several years, and everyone on this site know it! Whether they will admit it is another thing! I love them as much as anyone, but dam! REALLY what's next a new model that takes another five years to master and by then it will be so far behind the others it will be old by the time it's fixed! I'm also mad! Me and Steve are friends, but that has no bearing on what I have said! We both ride very hard and I jump the crap out of it. Well it's a SE that's what it's made for!

All we want is for a Yamaha to get the quality back! Yamaha and MPI have done crazy testing over and over and really hard testing in fact crazy testing. I was told, but not sure I can talk about it. So I won't, but the testing they do is crazy! To say the least! And the turbo 1049 holds up just FINE I'm fact GREAT! So who do we start pointing the finger at???

Sorry for this, my sled is in the shop :o|

I agree, the dealer is the one who I would be looking at. Too many things going on there..... Cracked housing, reverse problems after they fixed it.... Not good.

Would also look at the dealer for the engine problems as you let them know everytime something was wrong. Who knows if something dropped in the intakes when they had it apart...right? A good dealer would work with you at least.... Sorry for your misfortune.

NOS-PRO said:
I agree, the dealer is the one who I would be looking at. Too many things going on there..... Cracked housing, reverse problems after they fixed it.... Not good.

Would also look at the dealer for the engine problems as you let them know everytime something was wrong. Who knows if something dropped in the intakes when they had it apart...right? A good dealer would work with you at least.... Sorry for your misfortune.

No worries! It's just becoming a joke!

NOS-PRO said:

I know you are more so referring to Steve's sled. It's I think 8 different problems between Steve and I. So not consistent at all! Once you have invested in a dealer with a lot of money it's hard to find another one that will back you up when you didn't buy anything there. And we don't have many performance orientated shops around our location to choose from. We already drive 2 1/5 hours one way! It's pretty bad when you memorize your dealers message that plays while your on hold! I have have owned a few Yamaha's and never had an issue quite like this! I'm thinking about getting mine fixed and either selling it or keeping it as a second sled and getting a new one of other brand. Not because I want to, but because I love snowmobiling and I put on average 6000 miles a year. And this is one of the best winters in a long time and I only have 3500 miles. I know that's a lot, but I work my #*$&@ off all summer to collect unemployment in the winter and have it off. So I want to ride, not sit here and have a sled in the shop! What a waste! Maybe I should start hiking in the winter!

Back