• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I heard from a Cat dealer last week that the rumor he heard from insiders was this.... Viper like chassis, Apex motor making more power than current turbo. But.. Pushing 20 g's Canadian. Less than a week and we'll know for sure..
Apex engine in a Viper like chassis:sled2:

Apex engine in a Viper like chassis with a new secondery roller clutch :):sled2:
Yamaha take my money,i will have a new sled next year :)

Well mine went at 6500 miles. I took it out of the shed drove it around the house shut it off and go to restart and it was locked up. The magnets came loose off the case. What Yamaha wants for a new starter is a joke. Went aftermarket and it turns the sled over much faster then the original and my wife's vector.
Did your warranty not cover it?

The only people who think they don't need a turbo are ones that haven't ridden a proper one.
I've ridden them all. Equal power I prefer normally aspirated or a supercharger. The turbocharger on a Viper is the same centrifugal type compressor found on a S/C Nytro or Apex. It's just powered differently.
Why would anyone want the compressor driven off hot exhaust gas when you can have it pulleyed off the engine with zero response lag? And not being cooked.
Or better yet, do it with rpm and a gear reduction with no extra components to break.

Think he was talking about the Viper more than the other models

Mine was a 2014 Vector that lost the starter. Common enough on the Vectors (my dealer now STOCKS starters for them) and certainly common on Vipers. Even though mine is under warranty, I gave this much > < thought to a better aftermarket starter.

18000 miles on my 05 Vector and the starter sounds as strong as ever.

Why would anyone want the compressor driven off hot exhaust gas when you can have it pulleyed off the engine with zero response lag?
Because using the waste energy in the exhaust gasses in a turbo saps very little horsepower from the engine and with modern setups the lag is hardly worth mentioning. Superchargers sap quite a bit of hp from the engine and the instant response means instant extra fuel, so the gas mileage suffers as well. The turbo setups can actually be more fuel efficient when riding sensibly than stock setups. Not so much with the superchargers.

Because using the waste energy in the exhaust gasses in a turbo saps very little horsepower from the engine and with modern setups the lag is hardly worth mentioning. Superchargers sap quite a bit of hp from the engine and the instant response means instant extra fuel, so the gas mileage suffers as well. The turbo setups can actually be more fuel efficient when riding sensibly than stock setups. Not so much with the superchargers.
This is true in very high power applications, but it's not as much of a disparity as people think. But for power levels in a sled it's really negligible. The common myth about turbos is that they are "free" power. This is just not true. The turbo is inserted into the exhaust stream and sucks power via pumping losses from the engine i.e. the engine has to work harder to drive the compressor. The turbo is a resistor in the system.

The reason turbos may be more fuel efficient is because off boost the engine is just acting like a smaller N/A motor- with less timing and compression so not to detonate when the turbo comes on. So off boost a turbo engine has less power and response than a properly tuned N/A motor (Arctic Cat turbo 1100).

This is how the auto companies are cheating the EPA tests with the smaller turbo engines- by babying it during the test and running off boost. There are more and more cases now where larger N/A motors are getting better mileage.

Reactions: 200
I have to agree with Tony. The Turbo Vipers I've ridden are boring. Less exciting than a stock Nytro. My SC Nytro 180 is a blast to ride. The two guys I ride with most have an 800 etec and an Apex and my mpg is on par with them - not that I care, I ride upstate NY and there's gas stations everywhere so I could care less how efficient fuel mileage is.

I agree turbos are more efficient. But again, who cares? If you need more power just turn up the boost

Hope they use the Nytro Ecu on the new sled, then no more starter problems.

So if it is the side by side engine, guess it's compact, hope it has gearbox that would be big and guess it would help with the fast fast thing, hope it's not true with the expensive part though,as Yamaha has claimed to get products faster to the market while keeping cost down for the consumer, I predict if they have an rtx se version there will be lots our complaints of too stiff suspensions

Skickat från min SM-G388F via Tapatalk

Actually there are only 2 sleds in my sight to purchase right now. Cost is big reason and they are fun rides with enough power. Not fastest or most powerful but enough. And they can be found in the $9-10 range. It's the cat 4000 rr and the axys pro s 600 from this past season the black with white graphics. Put some real bars risers and grips on it and you have a quality ride. A viper is an interest but would be used and year or 2 old and probably need 500+ in shock work. So hoping new sled is 125-145hp has nytro type power on the trail and is light and rides great aswell as 10,500 an under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back