• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Apex v. Ski Doo 800

I found this interesting:

A co-worker of mine happens to have a 5 year old R'gade 600 SDI with quite a few miles on it. (7,000) and his father owns a 2 year old R'gade 800 etec with about 4,000 miles on it. He was telling me his father blew a belt this past weekend going across a lake WOT and it did alot of damage under the hood. Sheared off a bolt and ripped open some wiring. Had to be towed home. That said, I asked the miles on the e-tec. I told him I have never blown a belt on any Yamaha except my old 1990 Exciter with the YPZ clutches, but just one time while drag racing. I have 9,000 plus miles on the same clutches and belt on my 2 stroke Viper. He told me he has blown 8 or 9 belts on the 600 SDI and his old man has blown the same already on his 800 e-tec. Apparently they are just accustom to it. I asked how much are your belts?......he said $180 each.......WOW!!! That's like $1500 in belts on one machine. I am sorry but that is insane. Now my understanding is the TRA is being replaced with the e-drive 2 because of clutch rattle. How about blowing belts? Maybe their LIGHT skidframe twists too much.....???

The guy that rides with us blew one belt and rmotion skid 2500 miles got destroyed, butbit was covered by waranty. I have a picture of the skid but it on my phone and I don't know how to post it.

But its not like I haven't blew belts or shocks on my yammies.

Mad Russian said:
Verry kool :) I am from Moskva Russia... You guys ever go riding in Michigan ? We have one of the best trail systems in the U.S.... :sled1: ;)! :Rockon:

When we will go to Michigan I will definitely let you know that we're coming. By the sounds of it you guys ride hard and fast just the way we do it and the way we like it. They call us "trail nazis" because all we do is ride, and the guys that ride with us all they want to do is go bar hopping what's the fun in that.

Next season we we want to cross the border on sleds into Canada which will be 500-600mile trip, can't wait! :sled1: :sled1: :sled1:

I had an opportunity our last ride of the winter we rode 3 days. my 06 Apex GT a 2011 Apex XTX and a 2012 800R etec.

The doo, you cannot beat the Rmotion suspension I have to say my apex was sloppy in the bumps compared to that. Motor, it has been said it is flat and sounds like a taun taun from star wars. My Apex walks him each time. Riding position is standing on the etec and is nice but I bottomed it a lot although was not set for me which I am sure can be easily corrected. It is amazing on gas! But takes expensive oil so adds to about the same when it comes to $ but the tank range is almost twice as much as the Apex. the steering I found it heavy but was set up aggressive and di corner well and when gotten used to did well in corners. Does it handle better than Apex I can't say that it does.

The 11 XTX walked by my apex at 40mph race. The ride was better knees were below hips on it I am 6.0 ft tall. The EPS is really cool and made the long 144 inch track disappear to be honest. The doo is more standing than the 11 apex but much better position than my 06. In my opinion the APEX is faster sounds cooler is more reliable. I have been seriously looking at an 11-12 year model 128 since our ride. But decided to wait a year or 2 for perhaps new model Apex and 4 cyl motor. Hope tis helps.

jtssrx said:
Im pretty sure when Mike Knapp raced his vmax four he would gear it low to get a great 60 foot spin the motor really high to pull the MPH out of the RPM. Its a proven fact the higher the rpm at the clutch the higher the MPH.

You need to learn about gearing and overdrive..........

we lined up today on hard packed snow 07 apex an 11apexse and a 2014 800 etec both my son and i could leave the etec in snow dust for a sled with 160hp and a lot lighter it runs out of steam pretty quick while the apex keeps pulling . :yam:

F7 Racer said:
jtssrx said:
Im pretty sure when Mike Knapp raced his vmax four he would gear it low to get a great 60 foot spin the motor really high to pull the MPH out of the RPM. Its a proven fact the higher the rpm at the clutch the higher the MPH.

Why don't you enlighten me

jtssrx said:
F7 Racer said:
jtssrx said:

Why don't you enlighten me

Me too please !

its funny you mention this we raced 3 800 skidoos for 20 miles not even close we could pull out and go by anytime so i asked guys what drew them to the 800 all said lightness is biggests factor they also said if they make it to 4000 miles they need to be rebuilt some times they dont go that far.So i guess i dont mind donuts gaskets every 6000 miles and putting big wheel kit in.I could not afford to sled if i had to rebuild engine every 2 years.So we put up with a heavier sled i dont notice it a bit on trails plus the sound is awsome.ps and fast too and yamaha known for bulletproof engines

Back