• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

Im not sure. But I might crack it open. We'll see.
Im taking it to work when the snow is gone.

Its strange, cause the battery voltage reading is correct, and the sled starts easy on the battery.
Its like the battery draws all available current from the stator, and leaves nothing left for the other parts of the sled..

I am no expert on battery charging, but on the Super B website it say you can charge my 10P battery at up to 24amps for 30 minutes. That amperage is way beyond what our alternator can put out. I am assuming its the same for most Li-ion batteries. So I wonder if our charging systems looses control of charging amperage and commits all its amps to charging the battery? I don't think the Nytro charging system is that smart, but maybe it is.

It would be interesting to put an amp meter on one of the battery leads to see what kind of amperage is going to the battery after the sled starts. If the number is big, that would explain why there is nothing left for the rest of the electrical system, but I can't believe this is the case.

OTM

It almost sounds like a short in the battery. That would explain the lack of power getting to the rest of the sled.

Does the battery get warm when that happens? Exploding batteries comes to mind...

Or maybe your stator is bad? Might be wise to check it if it is easy. Should just be a resistance check I think.

I dont know if the battery gets warmer. The fault is present all the time with the battery installed.

Im thinking a damaged/shorted cell not willing to take charge. Something like that.

Its kinda funny that both me and Rick had the exact same fault symptoms, and both of our batteries has something loose in them.

What he said. Exact same scenario for both our sleds. Same battery, similar life span, same conditions after failure. I think there is no doubt the battery was the source of our problems.

ruffryder said:
Or maybe your stator is bad? Might be wise to check it if it is easy. Should just be a resistance check I think.

There is absolutely no doubt that the battery was the cause of my problems.
I have around 1500 kilometers on the stock battery after the ballistic failed.

New battery showed up today. Basicaly what he told me is that they had a certain amount of batteries coming from manufacturing with a different adhesive than specified. He also said all the failures have been in cold environments. I'm glad to know they have identified the problem and addressed it. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do, but I would call and see if he can identify the problem batteries before it costs you a tow or worse a helo ride for those with ballistic batteries.

I am impressed with his customer service and happy with there actions.

Yeah, impressive customer service thats for sure.

Im also debating on putting it back on the sled, or keeping it for something else..
Right now Ive got some other small problems to worry about.

Mtnviper said:
I figured that I would pull this thread back up after having the sled sit over the summer for a status report on the Lithium battery.
She started right up without having to put a tickle charger on it once ;)! :-o

lol, mine did also, but I have the stock (heavy) battery in there :)

im going to be trying this battery out this year http://www.earthxmotorsports.com/produc ... ucts_id/96 built in battery management, 270cca and 420pulse crank amps. and only 3lbs.

Back