• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

Yeah, mines got something loose in there. I'll call them tomorrow.

But unfortunately I don't think I can trust it in the back country. Hopefully others have better luck with there other brands and ballistic fixes the problem. Cool to see a actual problem, hopefully they can address it.

We are still riding here, so I should be able to get some more rides in on mine. Although it hasn't been all that cold here, the Shorai has worked great all season ;)!
I'll probably pick up one of they're special battery chargers that plugs into the side of the battery and balance charges the cells. Then when I put away the sled for the season, all of the cells will be fully charged during summer storage.

Mtnviper said:
We are still riding here, so I should be able to get some more rides in on mine. Although it hasn't been all that cold here, the Shorai has worked great all season ;)!
I'll probably pick up one of they're special battery chargers that plugs into the side of the battery and balance charges the cells. Then when I put away the sled for the season, all of the cells will be fully charged during summer storage.

I may have to try one of there's out next season. I can deal with the cold cranking issues, I just dont want to be left stranded with a dead sled again.

Rick:

A buddy of mine tested the Shorai all last winter, and basically it's a winner. The battery case (plastic) is super solid, no moving/rattling parts inside and down to -15c, it starts the sled every time. We had to boost it once one morning @ -25c. No heaters, no nothing, and it still works perfectly.

Its the Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 (405cca), and it is almost the same size as the stock battery and weighs in at 4 lbs.

I totally agree that in the backcountry, you've got to be super careful as heli outs are just a BIT pricy. Even though that's not my world, I still hate to be stranded so I found a pretty easy solution to avoid the cold li-ion problem.

I have a 12 cell Li-ion on the sled (1kg) and when I go overnight, I bring a second 12cell battery with me in my pack. I mounted a quick coupler on my battery cable and on those really cold days, I just plug it in and it starts every time.

Battery_Setup.jpg

Might sound stupid, but my thinking was like bringing a fuel caddy. This way, I don't worry about starts ever as the spare is warm giving full voltage and power on a cold start. The combo is still much lighter than the stocker too.

OTM

beeze455 said:
I had no issues, but it never got cold here.

How many miles? My concern is durability not starting. I had to try multiple times to get it to start around 10 degrees but it would always start. I would guess mine had about 4-500 when it went bad.

rlcofmn said:
Yeah, mines got something loose in there. I'll call them tomorrow.

But unfortunately I don't think I can trust it in the back country. Hopefully others have better luck with there other brands and ballistic fixes the problem. Cool to see a actual problem, hopefully they can address it.

Now thats interesting..
Im also not convinced im gonna put it on the sled again, but we'll see.

Lets hope they replace yours too.

rlcofmn said:
beeze455 said:

How many miles? My concern is durability not starting. I had to try multiple times to get it to start around 10 degrees but it would always start. I would guess mine had about 4-500 when it went bad.

Miles...I'm guessing about 4000km's (2400 miles), but I'll have to check. I know it's close to that because we did a single trip of 1200km (750 mile) trip around Gaspe Quebec this spring. Parts of it were so rough, it was enough to break all your teeth, and enough to take out an a-arm on an Arctic Cat Turbo....

I know, I know it was an AC so whaddaya expect right? Let's just say its pretty impressive what you can do in 3 hours with an A-arm, a hydraulic fitting, and a very skilled Caterpillar mechanic with a welder in his truck!

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
rlcofmn said:
beeze455 said:

Miles...I'm guessing about 4000km's (2400 miles), but I'll have to check. I know it's close to that because we did a single trip of 1200km (750 mile) trip around Gaspe Quebec this spring. Parts of it were so rough, it was enough to break all your teeth, and enough to take out an a-arm on an Arctic Cat Turbo....

I know, I know it was an AC so whaddaya expect right? Let's just say its pretty impressive what you can do in 3 hours with an A-arm, a hydraulic fitting, and a very skilled Caterpillar mechanic with a welder in his truck!

OTM

Good news on your battery holding up to that many miles. Sounds much more durable!!!

I called and left a message for them today. Hopefully will hear back soon on getting a new one.

Off Trail Mike said:
Rick:

A buddy of mine tested the Shorai all last winter, and basically it's a winner. The battery case (plastic) is super solid, no moving/rattling parts inside and down to -15c, it starts the sled every time. We had to boost it once one morning @ -25c. No heaters, no nothing, and it still works perfectly.

Its the Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 (405cca), and it is almost the same size as the stock battery and weighs in at 4 lbs.

I totally agree that in the backcountry, you've got to be super careful as heli outs are just a BIT pricy. Even though that's not my world, I still hate to be stranded so I found a pretty easy solution to avoid the cold li-ion problem.

I have a 12 cell Li-ion on the sled (1kg) and when I go overnight, I bring a second 12cell battery with me in my pack. I mounted a quick coupler on my battery cable and on those really cold days, I just plug it in and it starts every time.

Battery_Setup.jpg

Might sound stupid, but my thinking was like bringing a fuel caddy. This way, I don't worry about starts ever as the spare is warm giving full voltage and power on a cold start. The combo is still much lighter than the stocker too.

OTM

so with carrying both cells, how much weight are you really saving for the cost? i think its a fantastic idea and all, but if you are putting in a lightweight battery and going for lightweight, seems a little counter intuitive?

rlcofmn said:
Mtnviper said:

I may have to try one of there's out next season. I can deal with the cold cranking issues, I just dont want to be left stranded with a dead sled again.

Rick

I think that it's worth a shot. I'm running the same one as Off Trail Mike and at 27 amp hours it's AH rating is higher then the stocker which I believe is 18AH. The LFX27L3 is more expensive but I figured it would be better to start with a higher rated battery then stock, to help compensate for colder weather. Weight savings is just a hair over 10 pounds when I compared them on my postal scale.

Guys:

Just to clarify, I was talking two different setups, one mine, and another belongs to a friend of mine.
His setup uses the Shorai 405cca battery by itself. That battery weighs 4 lbs and has the 4000km's on it.

I use an 8 cell Super B (360cca and 1.75kg's) out of my bike and a Full Spectrum Power Pulse P3 (360cca and 1kg) as a backpack battery. So my combination is around 6 lbs with cables and has about 750km's (500 miles) on it with no issues.

That's still 8 lbs less than stock when carrying everything and I normally don't keep the backpack battery with me during the day. Its there for morning starts off the trailer or when leaving the camp only.

Not perfect, but its alot of weight off the front end, and if I was smarter, I would either figure out a way to get the battery relocated to the back of the sled or figure out a way to quick couple the whole battery...or both!

OTM

rlcofmn said:
I called and left a message for them today. Hopefully will hear back soon on getting a new one.

Goodie. Mine showed up in the mail today. ;)!

Off Trail Mike;

The Super B isnt a lifepo battery is it? Its regular lead acid/agm?

If you look some pages earlier in this thread you can see my battery plug for connecting a external battery on those really cold days. However, I did not get to test it more than one time before my ballistic failed on me.

Better luck next season.

Dimebag:

Oh man, LOL, I must really be loosing it!

When I saw those pictures I had in my mind external power for the battery heater, but I was also wondering why you were using such big connectors (I mean wire size)??? Brain Phart.

I used the second battery setup twice this winter just to see how it worked, and the rest of the time didn't need it. I still want to perfect the battery heater as that seems to be the best option for our area most of the time, but having a second lightweight battery is good insurance when its wicked cold, which happens on a hand full of mornings each season.

On the Super B.., it is in fact a lifepo made in the Netherlands. Super tough, starts well, but god awfully expensive. Not sure I would buy one as I think the Shorai's are every bit as good at half the price, but since I own it, its in the sled.

Just curious, do you think a battery cell came loose inside your Ballistic or is there some kinda circuit board in there? You would think they would foam in the cells to ensure they don't move around but maybe not.

Have to find someone willing to crack one open.

OTM

Back