• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Chassis for Arctic Cat for 2024 to be announced at Haydays!

Did anyone else look deep into the chain case side of the right footwell and notice the chain case was replaced with a belt drive!!! The one CAT rep we talked to confirmed it was a belt drive but would not go into details of it. I am guessing they could go to a belt drive now that they are two-stroke sleds and can go into reverse by spinning the engine backwards like Poo has been doing for years. No more need for mechanical reverse actuators to fail at the exact wrong time!!!

Its right in the specs for the Catalyst.

From the website
Simplicity and ease of maintenance were also important considerations for Catalyst’s design. The robust new drive system is belt-driven, reducing the part count and increasing durability. Plus, key components such as the belt, oil reservoir and battery can be quickly accessed without tools.
</p>

Did anyone else look deep into the chain case side of the right footwell and notice the chain case was replaced with a belt drive!!! The one CAT rep we talked to confirmed it was a belt drive but would not go into details of it. I am guessing they could go to a belt drive now that they are two-stroke sleds and can go into reverse by spinning the engine backwards like Poo has been doing for years. No more need for mechanical reverse actuators to fail at the exact wrong time!!!
Two stroke Cats also spin the engine backwards for reverse also. They have been doing that way for years as well.
It would be interesting to see if someone could come with a belt drive system that has the capability to have reverse for four strokes. Probably would save a fair amount of weight.

It would be interesting to see if someone could come with a belt drive system that has the capability to have reverse for four strokes. Probably would save a fair amount of weight.
Not ranting at you Mtnviper BUT I'll take reliability over weight loss. This is what got us into the trouble we have now on the Procross.
People not wanting to pull a reverse lever and demanding reverse be a "push button" led to the current design. The manual reverse chain cases seemed pretty trouble free.

Not surprised on the belt drive I think that is awesome if it can handle the torque...no more chaincase would be kickass

Back