• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat announces new 858 cc for Catalyst at Haydays

I
Well, I'm already bored with this 858 because I have no desire to ride a two stroke as my main trail sled.
I really hope Cat is working on a triple turbo 4 stroke to fit in here. As much as I love the Yamaha 998, I really don't care if it isn't, as long as it is a triple(or Four), with all the the characteristics of the 998.
I don't want 170 HP having riding 270 HP
I suspect we will all be keeping our high powered 998's for a long time.

I

I suspect we will all be keeping our high powered 998's for a long time.

I sure will be as I can't imagine going back to a two stroke for trail riding.
I have always stock piled parts for my sleds and I have stepped it up a bit of late for my SW as I expect I will be riding it for many years to come.
LOL
I still have my old faithful Attak as well.

I think the ship has sailed for hoping a 4 stroke in the Catalyst. No room to put one in it.

I don’t want a two stroke either. At least for a high mileage trail sled. It won’t last and I don’t want to stink.

I think the ship has sailed for hoping a 4 stroke in the Catalyst. No room to put one in it.

I don’t want a two stroke either. At least for a high mileage trail sled. It won’t last and I don’t want to stink.
They always said there was no way to stick a 4 cylinder in a Nytro and it was done. Never say never.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. There may never be another engine that is so inexpensive for adding power.

I am taking a step down in power this season. If I miss my 998(I know I will. The question is how much?) it may be one season and I will be back.

The implication then is that the procross keeps moving forward as is. It would not make sense to keep the procross without the 998, and it does not appear that the 998 will cram into the catalyst although I remain open to being amazed. For sure they will need a 4s in the lineup.

Feels like they will do a 4 stroke twin or find a way to stuff the 998 in there, lets hope so.

When I looked at the Catalyst, I just don't see how you can get a 4 stroke in it. AC has the 600 so low and on an angle. Intake and exhaust is on the same side. I just don't see it happening.

Cool sled. If I was looking for a 850 two-smoke I'd be all over it, but I have ZERO interest in a two-stroke snowmobile anymore at all, wont purchase one for myself ever again.

If Cat wanted to they could widen the chassis easy enough to put a four-stroke in. I sure hope they dont go back to a two-cylinder four-stroke lawn mower engine ever again like the Suzuki 1100 and the sick cow sound it delivered. Hope they stick with the 998, even better would be a turbo-charged Apex four-cylinder engine with its sweet under driven PTO output shaft.

They did a nice job of doing more with less. That is some tough engineering they accomplished.

That said I am over 2 smokes as well. They are all slow. The 850 I got for a demo a few years ago was fun and quick, but it was not fast. I am spoiled by Yammie modded power. If it doesn't scare the absolute sh** out of me I get bored and crash LOL

The chassis/bulkhead is amazing when you think about it. Going back to God knows how long we have typically had cast bulk heads making up our sleds.

Cat deviated from that with the procross that used a stamped front and tubes connecting everything up via bolts. This does away with all of that and moves it into the complete tube chassis designation.

My old mid 80's Ski Doos had tube chassis front bulkheads/framing. Nothing fancy or extravagant there. Steel tubing or alum front bulkheads, they've gone back and forth for years. Can only get them so light before they loose reliability and bend stuff.

Is the Catalyst even chrome moly tubing? Or just mild steel?

My old mid 80's Ski Doos had tube chassis front bulkheads/framing. Nothing fancy or extravagant there. Steel tubing or alum front bulkheads, they've gone back and forth for years. Can only get them so light before they loose reliability and bend stuff.

Is the Catalyst even chrome moly tubing? Or just mild steel?
I think it is mild steel. I read nothing about Chrome moly. I suspect Cat was sensitive to the strength verses weight issue when building the Catalyst. The old Firecat was light, fast and could be broken in half when ridden really hard through big moguls. Saw lots of cracked bulkheads over the years. We will see how they hold up in the field. I know guys that can break an anvil.

Back