• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NEW MODEL IN FEB 2010?

How about a sled with proper and sufficent amount of heat exchangers.

birkebeiner said:
Why do you have to compromise on durability and quality when you want to make it a bit lighter? I don't mean Ski-Doo light, but a bit lighter but keep the Yamaha quality. And why does 4-strokes have to be 3 or 4 cyl? Can for sure be a 2 cyl as well, which would be a bit lighter but as reliable as a 3 or 4 cyl Yammi 4-stroke! A 2 cyl 900cc (or 1000cc) 4-stroke rev'ing approx 10,000 rpm's pumping out 130+ bhp would be fine, or what?

I agree with you, I wouldn't drop the quality of Yamaha just to keep it light, but most be something in between!!??

I have nothing against removing weight or use of a smaller motor, I'm just tired of POST'S comparing a APEX to XP or other lighter sleds that are not in the same league/category...and don't get me wrong I'm not brand loyal either or bashing other MFG, I just want things to be fair, I almost bought a '08 XP 800R and once I took it out for a 4 hour test drive it just wasn't my type of ride/handling, it didn't meet my expectations, I'm not a off trail rider nor ditchbanger...I'm a high mile groomed trail rider and this is where the APEX shines!!! ;)!

apltx08 said:
birkebeiner said:
Why do you have to compromise on durability and quality when you want to make it a bit lighter? I don't mean Ski-Doo light, but a bit lighter but keep the Yamaha quality. And why does 4-strokes have to be 3 or 4 cyl? Can for sure be a 2 cyl as well, which would be a bit lighter but as reliable as a 3 or 4 cyl Yammi 4-stroke! A 2 cyl 900cc (or 1000cc) 4-stroke rev'ing approx 10,000 rpm's pumping out 130+ bhp would be fine, or what?

I agree with you, I wouldn't drop the quality of Yamaha just to keep it light, but most be something in between!!??

I have nothing against removing weight or use of a smaller motor, I'm just tired of POST'S comparing a APEX to XP or other lighter sleds that are not in the same league/category...and don't get me wrong I'm not brand loyal either or bashing other MFG, I just want things to be fair, I almost bought a '08 XP 800R and once I took it out for a 4 hour test drive it just wasn't my type of ride/handling, it didn't meet my expectations, I'm not a off trail rider nor ditchbanger...I'm a high mile groomed trail rider and this is where the APEX shines!!! ;)!

True and that's my riding as well. But it could be lighter... 500lbs and 170hp for a 4 stroke sled would be a good power to weight ratio.

apltx08 said:

Agree with you completely! Yamaha shouldn't make one or the other. Upgrade the Apex with a new 4 cyl motor, 170+ bhp and a bit lighter AND a 900-1000cc 2 cyl 4-stroke lightweight trail riding sno-x type of sled with a long track mountain boondocking version as well. Then the product line should be complete ;)! :yam:

its the new work horse of a venture light with out the 2 up seat and single seat with a huge rear rack 16 inch wide track by 144 and wide skis to replace the bravo ?

If Yamaha does anything right now I imagine they'd drop the 120 engine in the Vector and put the 130 in and call it a day. Sales are low, they are cutting costs, realistically they have 4 engines, and two with nearly the same HP, no reason to make the 120 anymore.

I'm going to try and bring this thread back to the topic.

I'm thinking
#1. New chassis. :drink:
#2. Better rear bump skid (Polaris influence) :-o
#3. Three cylinder engine with mild turbo (170 ish hp. my guess front or mid mount) ;)!
#4. Lighter weight. :o|
#5. New ski design :Rockon:
#6. Possiblly electronic power steering ((ala ATV style) for the cruzzer/touring crowd) :bling

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
copo427ss said:
NyTrOMaNIaC said:
copo427ss said:
NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Yamaha205 said:
to NyTrOMaNIaC

your right found it on wiki
09 R1 - 133.9 kW (179.6 hp) @ 12,500 rpm without ram air
but theres no reason why they cant put the 12500rpm motor in the apex

i wonder why they dint put it in in the apex in the first place....

They didn't base the Apex engine on the second gen 04-08 R1 engine becasue they had more R&D along with time spent on the 99-03 R1 engine, plus I'm sure they had spares to work with. This way, they were sure of reliability. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but this is usually how Yamaha works and it only makes sense. I can see them basing a new engine off the 2nd gen R1 engine, with 170ish hp and less weight. Only question is what chassis will they put it in ?

the second gen motors only went to 06.. 07-08 were the new 16 valve motors and were 176.8hp.the motor was completely redesigned for 07-08, 4 valve head instead of 5, electronic throttle and velocity stacks, higher reving. and 09 is the start of the crosspane. i dynoed my 07 r1 at work with cats cut out and my own custom slip ons, and a euro pcm and made 159.8hp at the tire. apex motors are based off the FZ1 bikes. which are based off the 04-06 design.

You're right, I forgot about the 07-08 R1 redesign. Pretty sure they redlined @13,750 though, along with the current 09-10 R1 engine. I wasn't aware that the Apex engine was based upon the FZ, and I certainly wasn't aware that the FZ engine had anything in similarity to the 04-06 R1 engine. I always thought that the FZ engine was based upon the first gen R1 engine, but tamed down for better streetability, which led me to believe that the Apex engine was also based upon the first gen R1 engine. And we're both incorrect on one thing, the 04-06 R1 engine is the 3rd gen engine. Still, to drop over 20 hp in the Apex engine compared to the 3rd gen R1 engine is quite confusing. With there being 2 different configurations out since, you would think that Yamaha would have come out with an improved version already. Let's hope the 2011 model proves to be just that !

thats because of redline and cams/compression ratios. the 07-08 motors spun to almost 15. mine would almost bury the tach needle before it would grab the limiter. the fz1 has a lower redline, lower compression and different cams to move the power down to more streetable rpms. i would think and hope that yamaha would use the 07-08 design in a new apex. being it was a lighter better designed head, bigger 4 valves over 5 moves more air and promotes a better burn. less moving parts =less friction= more pwr freed up. bumping the compression and running on 87 isnt gonna work all that well. and using a smaller based cam profile isnt going to give you a high rev power of the r1. that 16 valve motor has lots of potential. and to redesign an engine like that for only a 2 yr run, doesnt make much sense at all. only to come out with a brand new motor to replace it. thats alot of r&d work for yamaha to waste. and we all know theyre not out to waste money right now. im willing to bet that we will see the 16v 07-08 motors in new fz1's as well as the apex's.

That's odd that your R1 would rev past 13,750, because according to Yamaha spec, redline is just that. It's been the same since 04, and peak power is at 12,500 as well, so there's really no sense going past where the bike makes it's most usable power. I'd say you had some issues with your tach, perhaps something a little too optimistic like on the 06 R6 (I had one as a track bike). Personally, I had my shift light set at 12,500 so I knew exactly when to shift gears for optimal performance, although, I couldn't even come close to optimally outperforming the bike. A few laps around AMP on even a CBR 125 was quite the workout :exc:

Anyway, back on topic, let's hope Yamaha surprises us all this year with something that blows the competition right off the map ! :Rockon:
i had the euro pcm in mine. that may have made a difference but i believe my rev limiter tipped off at 14,700 - 14,900.

apltx08 said:
SledFreak, Is that your new ride in your AVATAR?

Post us a few pics when you get a chance, any MOD'S...

yep that's it... I bought it last spring.. I'll post some pics, once I'm done tuning...

Attachments

• P3131497.JPG
    P3131497.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 66

Back