• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New sled...06 Apex GT

polaris87

Veteran
Hey...new to the forum. I plan to spend a lot of time here! Very very very useful and plentiful info.

Anyway I bought a 06 Apex GT tonight..It has a white knucle exhaust, power commander and some clutching and gearing done to it. I understand the powercommander is programable? How does this thing work? I don't even know if there is a map on it..Can I plug it in on my lap top to see whats on it? Any help on these would be awsome.

The sled also needs a new Ohlins solenoid installed. I have the new solenoid and there seems to be lots of bulletins around to install it. Great. The only problem I have is the suspension seems to sag. Does the solenoid and not being able to set it on the bars have anything to do with this? I'm about 200lbs with all riding gear on. I can pick the sled up about 5" withought the track coming off the ground. I know nothing about these suspensions as I'm coming off a 95 Indy 500...This apex is like going from a Ford Temp to a Fusion...lol.

Also, the tracks chewed up a bit. (I can understand why...I drag raced it for my bud last year lolll...It's pretty raunchy out of the hole) I was leaning toward an Ice Ripper because I really don't want a stud through the cooler or exhaust or anything else. I have a open mod drag sled that has enough studs to keep up with let alone this sled with expensive stuff in their way....But I understand you need a track that will withstand 150+ HP and maybe this track isn't the way to go. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

polaris87 said:
Hey...new to the forum. I plan to spend a lot of time here! Very very very useful and plentiful info.

Anyway I bought a 06 Apex GT tonight..It has a white knucle exhaust, power commander and some clutching and gearing done to it. I understand the powercommander is programable? How does this thing work? I don't even know if there is a map on it..Can I plug it in on my lap top to see whats on it? Any help on these would be awsome.

The sled also needs a new Ohlins solenoid installed. I have the new solenoid and there seems to be lots of bulletins around to install it. Great. The only problem I have is the suspension seems to sag. Does the solenoid and not being able to set it on the bars have anything to do with this? I'm about 200lbs with all riding gear on. I can pick the sled up about 5" withought the track coming off the ground. I know nothing about these suspensions as I'm coming off a 95 Indy 500...This apex is like going from a Ford Temp to a Fusion...lol.

Also, the tracks chewed up a bit. (I can understand why...I drag raced it for my bud last year lolll...It's pretty raunchy out of the hole) I was leaning toward an Ice Ripper because I really don't want a stud through the cooler or exhaust or anything else. I have a open mod drag sled that has enough studs to keep up with let alone this sled with expensive stuff in their way....But I understand you need a track that will withstand 150+ HP and maybe this track isn't the way to go. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Just a guess, but I'd say your shock needs a rebuild?
Where abouts do you live?

Please take a minute to fill in your profile location.

Any camoplast track will hold up to the apex hp.
IceRippers are good track but don't have nearly the traction as studs.Its more less to keep you stable on ice without sliding out and rolling over or for saftey for breaking.You will still light up the track with to much gas but it's better then nothing.

ok sorry about that, I forgot.

I live in PEI, Canada. How would I know if I need a rebuild? Is there a way to check the shock when the skids out? in? Shock in your hands? I guess if it needs a rebuild who can do it? I've been reading about Pinoneer and putting a different spring inside or something. I weigh about 200lbs with gear and from what Ive been reading you only need different springs if your over 200. Also, the guy I bought it from brought the shock in and they charged it with gas. They were unsure what to put in it so they just put a little bit. Hopefully this didn't blow the shock up...I'd say I will be sending this away to someone who knows. This $2000 shock is not something to be guessing on.

I've also been trying to find out what the control rod does...Any help here as well?

As far as the track I don't know what to do. The reason I wanted the Ice Ripper XT is because it was 1.25" and I wouldnt need the 15 pounds of studs in it plus the chance of a stud pulling and going through who knows what. I feel theres a bit too much expensive stuff under the tunnel for a $1.79 stud to ruin. But I'd consider going 1" with studs maybe. Just not much for the wicked tall studs. Especially with the HP of this sled. I'm still up in the air with it...Thanks for the help!

hey polaris... as stated above.. a rebuild is very.. very recomended especially on the 06's.. valving in those are more to be desired... try SHOCKTEC out of ontario. I just got my 3 ohlins rebuilt/revlaves and all new bushing for under $300+shipping. very..very much recomended.

How many miles on sled? I have 10500 on my RTX with original track (looking ratty) and just replaced my 40th with a 144. doing a custom build on that sled.

What i recommened.. start reading!!! there are 1000's of posts about every issue or question you will have.. and if you cant find.. just ask..

if your comming off a 95 500(i had a96) this sled is going to blow you away!!!

Ok thanks! Should I get it revalved? I havnt read too much on this subject yet but I thought it benefited more from people over 200 lbs? Or is a good upgrade regardless of riders weight?

The suspension seems to sag a little more than it should...He said it has never been the same since he took the skid out. It used to sit really high. I have no idea what he did. I thought the spring kept the sled up not the shock. Not saying the shock doesnt need to be rebuilt but the suspension just seems to be saggy. I'll have it home tonight and take some pics..

I have an 06 Attak. I get the rear shock rebuilt every season. I typically ride3-4000+ miles a year. That one shock does a lot of work. I weigh about 250 geared up and mine has the mid spring upgrade and has been revalved. I also have a ice ripper on it. Its as everyone says, not as good as studs, but does the job. I've never had a problem on a icy hill where my friends with non-studded tracks do. I went with that track because like you, I didn't want to worry about losing a stud. I'm very happy with the track. It has about 8000 miles on it now and looks new. Mine also sags and I believe I pick it up about 5 inches before I come to end of sag. Keep in mind the 136 and 121 may be slightly different. The control rod controls the sleds transfer. Its adjustable.

cool thanks. Looks like I'll be rebuilding the shock for piece of mind. Any way to tell if it needs to be rebuilt? Will it feel like the shock is gone and the spring does most of the work...Like when you push down the suspension will kick back up fast? My indy never had enough suspension to notice anything was wore out lol.

All of your questions are addressed somewhere in this website do some searches see what you can find out then come back & ask away. My main concern if I were you would be the power commander, clutching and gearing that was done to the sled? Why?? What was the goal? Are you racing this sled or trail riding? I would need to understand the power commander before I ever started the sled. Seems to me that is your largest risk to engine damage & you don't want that! Tracks, shocks, studs & carbides will all work out when you know what you want.

Agreed on the Power commander. Make sure you know what your doing and have the right tools like a wideband AF guage, etc. They really dont do much with the mods you have, but give it to ulmer racing and have him complete your mods plus a map from him and you got something.

yes...I was looking at power commander when my bud bought it. He bought it this way from another province and wasnt the type to frig around with it incase he did cause damage to the engine. I'll unplug the thing until I know how it works and whats on it. I'm the type of guy that will find out what it does and how to use it before I use it. I have no idea whats on it for a map or even how the thing works. Theres buttons on it to richen it or lean it. And I think now the lights on it says lean. ugh.

I dont think there is anything on this sled to need the power commander other than the exhaust. I dont think the air box is even modded. It will be though!! lol. I'll get into the clutching when I do some cleaning and I'll check the gearing when I change the track...

polaris87 said:

I have never ran a studded track on any of my sleds due to the fact that I don't want the extra rolling resistance weight & I never run on glare ice, so I don't need the ice traction. Any new track will work fine on your sled as comoploast makes almost all their tracks these days to be able to handle the horse power. I personally have had good luck with the camoplast predator fully clipped track.
P.S Please do "NOT" refer to Apex's to "fusions," ever again! "Apex is like going from Ford tempo to a fusion" Yikes, I think we are a tad better than the all mighty confusion!! hahahaha.
Welcome to team Yammi 4 stroke :Rockon:

ranger1 said:
polaris87 said:

I have never ran a studded track on any of my sleds due to the fact that I don't want the extra rolling resistance weight & I never run on glare ice, so I don't need the ice traction. Any new track will work fine on your sled as comoploast makes almost all their tracks these days to be able to handle the horse power. I personally have had good luck with the camoplast predator fully clipped track.
P.S Please do "NOT" refer to Apex's to "fusions," ever again! "Apex is like going from Ford tempo to a fusion" Yikes, I think we are a tad better than the all mighty confusion!! hahahaha.
Welcome to team Yammi 4 stroke :Rockon:
Oh and what is wrong with the fusion,i have a brand new 2012 fusion,and it is head and shoulders above the cobalt it just replaced,for a 4 banger,it goes very good,handles like a dream,rides ok,and 33 mpg,i like it.

hahahah by Fusion I meant Ford Fusion. I have an 09 and I think its a great car. I wouldnt even think of a Polaris Fusion. lol...They were...ah...something someone designed drunk at the kitchen table or something lol.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go with the 1.25 Ice Ripper XT. Tall enough lug for the little bit of off trail riding I do, and the little studs should do fine when the trail ices over at night. We rarely do any ice riding. And if the rivers do freeze, I'll be running my open mod. That thing is studded for ice. lol

For the rest of the mods I'm going to do some research. I'd like to get some maps for the powercommander and try them out. I'll get some info together and call Ulmer. They should be able to set me up.

polaris87 said:
hahahah by Fusion I meant Ford Fusion. I have an 09 and I think its a great car. I wouldnt even think of a Polaris Fusion. lol...They were...ah...something someone designed drunk at the kitchen table or something lol.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go with the 1.25 Ice Ripper XT. Tall enough lug for the little bit of off trail riding I do, and the little studs should do fine when the trail ices over at night. We rarely do any ice riding. And if the rivers do freeze, I'll be running my open mod. That thing is studded for ice. lol

For the rest of the mods I'm going to do some research. I'd like to get some maps for the powercommander and try them out. I'll get some info together and call Ulmer. They should be able to set me up.

I think the ice ripper xt is a good choice because it does give you the best of both worlds, extra traction on ice without the added weight. A few of my friends are running those & love them.

P.S MNMSNOWBEAST, I was in fact referring to the old Polaris Fusion!! lol
(This is a snowmobile forum you know)

Back