• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to me 2008 NYTRO

I wouldn't change skis until you get a feel for how the Nytro handles. I've experimented with ski setups and found that the stock 08 skis worked better with a set of 4.5" Stud Boy Deuce bars installed than the Pilot, Tuner or Arrow skis . With the stock skis, setting toe to 1/2" out and adding a 3/16" shim under the rear of the ski rubber will also help handling. You'll get all kinds of suggestion when it comes to skis but if you eventually decide to make a change the Curve skis work well on a 08 Nytro.

I'd start with the Mountaintech skid plate and their IP vent and then if you find it runs hot Mountaintech also sells a tunnel heat exchanger that will cure that. Adding a steering post relocate kit is beneficial as far as reducing steering effort but I once again recommend riding the Nytro first so that you realize the improvement over the stock position. Suspension on the 08 RTX tends to be stiff so revalving all four shocks may be necessary. The RTX center shock has a week body that has had issues with splitting. I had one fail and the shaft of the shock destroyed a new track. Hygear has an update for the shock and also has a nice dual rate spring setup for it but it's not cheap.

Read this: http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/my-nytro-rtx-modification-setup-review.119807/#post-1066691

Just purchased this sled, has 1400 miles on it and form what i can see it is in great shape, front end is all straight and nothing seems to be bent. I have always had arctic cats and i rode a nitro last year and loved it. So i had to have one, i have read some things on them so far so i plan on adding the mountain tech skid plate my only concern with that is will i have overheating issues? I also plan to do a full pre season tune up including exhaust doughnuts. Any advice or tips would be great as i am new to the 4 stroke world. Thanks!
I believe from 08 to 09 they changed the front suspension to make it more stable, I would check into that. Things I had happen to mine was overheating, I took it to a shop and told him to check the coolant system, when I picked it up he said everything was good but after an hr or so in his shop he said it had ice bergs falling out of the tunnel. He told me that the nytro has a problem with ice build up and causes a ice dam in front of the cooler, and to just check once and awhile and knock the ice out. Never had an overheating problem again, then last year wanted to get rid of the 1.25 paddles and put a track with 2"paddles and that runs close to cooler and no chance for that ice dam to build up. Another thing I noticed was how tired my arms would get, talked to a few people and explained to me that the nytro has 75% of its weight on the ski's and told me to shorten the limiter straps, I looked under there and one was broke and other torn. I replaced them and set them to shortest point and sooo much easier to steer and still has good steering. $160 and thought this is stupid, he told me Polaris makes a wheel he heard some guys put on and told me to go to Pat's Yamaha cause he was a Polaris dealer too. I walked in there started to tell him my problem and he walked over to a wall and pulled a set of 4 wheels tied together and said this will solve your problem, I bought them he told me to pull my sled in the shop and they threw them on and I had a cup of coffee and no charge. I put a little a little over 3000 miles on last winter and they still look like new. The last problem I had was on a real cold morning I went out and fired up everyones sleds to get them warmed up and noticed my headlight wasn't working, thought not going to mess with it we would be back before dark, then later on noticed it was working so really didn't think about it. The next morning it was like -15 and went out and my sled light wouldn't come on again and this time it just turned over and over and wouldn't fire. I checked all the fuses, all good but noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump run a little when I turned the key on, I called a dealer told him my problem and he told me to take a hair dryer or something and heat the relays on the left of the airbox, did that and fired right up. He told me there was a problem with relays getting moisture in them and then cold weather they freeze, said there there was updated ones, stopped by on the way home bought three new red relays and the other one that's in there put them in and never had that happen again. Its a great sled love running it but change those gaskets now instead of winter and look for any cracks on the flex pipes.

Just purchased this sled, has 1400 miles on it and form what i can see it is in great shape, front end is all straight and nothing seems to be bent. I have always had arctic cats and i rode a nitro last year and loved it. So i had to have one, i have read some things on them so far so i plan on adding the mountain tech skid plate my only concern with that is will i have overheating issues? I also plan to do a full pre season tune up including exhaust doughnuts. Any advice or tips would be great as i am new to the 4 stroke world. Thanks!
couple things i learned the hard way, when i bought my 08 rtx with only 2180 kms it was sitting for 2 years
and didnt bother to check the drive belt and about 20km away from home she blew.. of course there was no
spare and my phone was conviently dead too so it was a good walk home.
Another thing if the fuel relay, starter relay and headlight relay arent updated to solid state (red ones- 15$cad/ea)
they might fail on cold windy day -40c usually. u can warm them up with hands for temporary fix but theyre
hard to get out (front end battery side) other than that bulletproof..

Back