• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to the Atv forum

boondoctor

Veteran
Bought a left over 04 Raptor 660 last week, thought i would join in on the fun. Stock for now, gonna be fun modding it up.

Attachments

• 100_0020.JPG
    100_0020.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 132

Thanks Tom

I lurked on a couple other quad sites, and it seems like everybody is either 12, or some self appointed geru whos opinion is the only correct answer.

Welcome.....

I know what you mean about the other sites. This one is my favorite, no BS to sift through. Tom does a great job with this site.

Re: Thanks Tom

boondoctor said:
I lurked on a couple other quad sites, and it seems like everybody is either 12, or some self appointed geru whos opinion is the only correct answer.
I hear that. Ive found that the online ATV community is nowhere near as big as the online snowmobile community is.
So far this is the best ATV forum I have found! ;)!
Cap'n

Welcome boondoctor, nice quad ;)!

For what it's worth, my first investment in modding it up would be a "for real" swing arm plate in place of the plastic along with some nerf bars. Not doing the swingarm plate cost me a rotor and brake pads and the nerfs will keep you from running yourself over in the "unlikely" even your feet slip off the pegs.

Of course I got carried away like normal and armored the whole bottom end. :eek:

This pics doesn't show it but I then went to 22" ITP Holeshots on the rear along with holeshots on the front then adjusted the sprockets to achieve the same final drive ratio as with the stock 20" rears.

Attachments

• Armadillo Armor (595 x 600).jpg
    Armadillo Armor (595 x 600).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 127
I just picked up a pro circuit t4 silencer and k+n filter off ebay. Waiting for my gytr jet kit and 12 tooth sprocket to come in. Sledder Steve, can you post a side view of the 22s, im thinking that and and a skid plate are next on the list. Musta made a differnce with the tires i assume, my trails are fairly rutted, and those would work well.

I just signed up last night after checking in for several weeks. It looked like a good group as stated above. I just sold my 01 raptor but am curious how the 22" tires clear the rear foot guard. I put the rears off my wife's warrior but didn't like how close the fit was.

The best I can do right now is this pic of my machines loaded up for a family outing. I'll get some closer shots if you need but I haven't had any prblems with clearance as the swing arm actually swings out and away from the heel guards on compression.

Yes, the taller rear tires take away your bottom end torque but on the plus side will give you a higher top end provide your engine can pull it. Here's a neat little calculator to see the "academic" effect of your gear changes: http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/raptor02.htm

One thing you do want to watch with the smaller front sprocket is your chain tension. If the chain gets too loose it could bunch up and cause all sorts of unwanted challenges.

Have fun and stay safe :yam:

Attachments

• Get-a-Loada-This.jpg
    Get-a-Loada-This.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Sledder Steve, that gearing calculator is slick. I find the rappy has more than enuf top end. Im leaning towards making it quicker, not faster. Where i do my riding, i rarely top out my quad or sled. Im more into quick response. Ill be playing with the stock tires for a bit, want to see how it works with the above mods, before i play with tire sizes. Imay find that the 12 tooth is too low, time will tell. How ever the extra ground clearence would be nice with 22s.

Considering your riding description, I wouldn't be too quick to go to the taller tires for ground clearance. You really don't need the complete skid plate package, it's just the swing arm plate that really takes the abuse so don't skimp there.

I'm betting you'll be getting excellent "smileage" with your mods in the conditions you describe and the 12 tooth front will be just right. ;)!

If you wanted quick, you went good with a Raptor. When ridden hard, those Raptors spend more time with the front tires in the air than on the ground.
Cap'n

Steve that loaded trailer resembled us a few years ago. We had 2 grizzlies, a kodiak and a 4x4 Twolf. My trailer is a little smaller so we had to put one in the truck. :D

Yeah clutch, the good old daze.... 8)

Life and times move on, the boys now have their own lives, work, school, girlfriends and priorities.

My wife and I still enjoy riding the Grizzly's as shown in other sections of this forum but the Kodiak has been relgated to landscape work and the Raptor waits patiently for me to clean reformulated gas goop out of its carbs because I let it sit too long without running.

Have to fix that one day.... :?

After a particulairly wet and rutted trail ride today, ive decided on a skid plate is next mod. Good news is rappy is getting quite a bit quicker, im thinking its about time for valve adjustment. Ive got about 8hrs on now. Probaly time for its second oil change too. Ive read that raptor were on the tippy side, however i had her almost full lock in a gravel pit, and thought she handled great, slides nice and predictable.How do the 22in tires behave when playing SledderSteve?

Back