• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New top gear & Drive axle on 2022 sidewinders

Mototown

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Apex 40 th
I guess I have to see if these upgrades work , I will ride my SRX ( if I get it , lol ) the first 1000 km then take it apart to inspect wear . The run of selling gears with my bronze bush upgrade in Ontario might be slowing down with this option. Also looks to be a different jackshaft … better clutch alignment???

Attachments

• 465C854F-A4C1-4A5E-BCDE-898BB5B3D334.png
    465C854F-A4C1-4A5E-BCDE-898BB5B3D334.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

Let's hope these are permanent fixes. It's been too long overdue!!

What locks the bearing on the shaft? If it is not locked on the shaft it WILL spin and wear the shaft out. Needs a locknut on the end of the shaft to lock it down, or a lock bearing, eccentric lock collar or something of the like.

IMO its made to look like they did something, but in reality, well you know what's going to happen when the bearing on the drive shaft.

Not sure why they need a new jackshaft. Theres no issues there, unless it fits a new longer bushing on the top sprocket something like the DMC top gear and bushing, which does not look like they did at all. Pictures of the "new bushing" has been posted previously. Looks exactly like the old one. Nothing changed there to help the cause.

All smoke-n-mirrors to make it look like they did something...

2022-new-top-shaft-and-gear-bushing.163531

Yep, I'm still betting they need the BOP wedge on the driveshaft, and gear bushings yearly or at least replaced often unless addressed with better aftermarket ones.

Going to give the DMC top gear a try this year. Looks like a really nice piece. Better be for what I paid. On another note they moved the voltage regulator to the nose / just above the bell crank. Was hoping to open that plate up for better air flow through the inter cooler. Not happening without moving voltage regulator

I didnt disassemble the drive shaft bearing on my 2022 to inspect but went ahead and installed the driveshaft saver. Wasnt there some chatter last year about a slightly tighter fit on some of the drive axles some of the guys had purchased? Im assuming there is no big change but maybe a slightly improved fit which wont do much at the end of the day. I had the chaincase apart and everything looks the same, maybe they have an improved bushing fit or material but nothing visually changed.

I didnt disassemble the drive shaft bearing on my 2022 to inspect but went ahead and installed the driveshaft saver. Wasnt there some chatter last year about a slightly tighter fit on some of the drive axles some of the guys had purchased? Im assuming there is no big change but maybe a slightly improved fit which wont do much at the end of the day. I had the chaincase apart and everything looks the same, maybe they have an improved bushing fit or material but nothing visually changed.
As for the driveshaft not sure what was so complicated all these years to make the improvement.
Grab the dam fabrication print and add - .004" tolerance to the od of the bearing seat) and done.
If our parts at work came loose fitting or out of spec the hired manufacturer would be kicking stone very fast

Ok here is my idea on this.
I hope one of the shops can make this set up.

Make a splined sleeve for the brake disc to slide on existing drive shaft.
Must make a new brake disc to accept this.
Must also thread inside of driveshaft.
Torque the sleeve down against the inner race on bearing and be done.
Brake disc will still be able to float with this setup.

Tim

Attachments

• 61165.jpeg
    61165.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 343
We'll I'm staying optimist. Its not like they came out with this improved sheet every year.

For my English speaking YamaCat owners from top to bottom:
- new surface finish
- different hardened surface
- bushing made of new material
- new way to affix hyfax

We'll I'm staying optimist. Its not like they came out with this improved sheet every year.

For my English speaking YamaCat owners from top to bottom:
- new surface finish
- different hardened surface
- bushing made of new material
- new way to affix hyfax
Only 5 years later(8 year including the viper) and 1000's of repair bills charged to the owners unless you were lucky enough to have it done by warranty. And to add most the dealers been replacing bad shaft with another loose fitting shaft without any mechanical lock.

Last edited:

Back