• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Noobie 06 Apex Owner wondering........

ExpertXViper

If there any problems areas or updates I should look into. Last thing I want is to be stranded out on the trail over something little I did not ask about. Any help or opinions are much appreciated.

I havent had a chance to get the new toy out on some decent snow. But I did tool around the cottage jumping some snow banks and ripping down some really bumpy powerlines and dont think this MONO will hold up to my riding style/weight. I know of the big boy spring, but the little time I spent on it in those conditions, I will be upgrading it to the ExpertX I have. I just have to decide if I want to keep it as a 121in or stretch it to a 136in.

Help me out guys!!!!!!

Its a great GROOMED trail sled, not a DITCHBANGER its way to heavy to start bouncing around, I'd get the chaincase checked out some '06 had issues with gaskets sucking in and loosing its oil YAM has a revised cover otherwise its a good dependable sled, depending on milage watch for leaking exhaust donuts their usually due around 3000 to 5000 miles, speedo bearing is prone to seize up make sure to keep it packed up of grease.

apltx08 said:
Its a great GROOMED trail sled, not a DITCHBANGER its way to heavy to start bouncing around, I'd get the chaincase checked out some '06 had issues with gaskets sucking in and loosing its oil YAM has a revised cover otherwise its a good dependable sled, depending on milage watch for leaking exhaust donuts their usually due around 3000 to 5000 miles, speedo bearing is prone to seize up make sure to keep it packed up of grease.

STOCK Id have to agree, but with some upgraded suspension I believe this sled could be used as a "ditchbanger". Its funny you mentioned the weight factor cause this is something I always talked down about on the 4s.......Till I rode one and that whole aspect went out the door. You say its WAY to heavy for ditchbanging but in dry weight its only about 25-30lbs heavier than my SRX Im coming off(Per NADAGUIDES) of, plus the Apex holds less fuel. Also if the funds became available its not like there isnt weight saving parts out there for this sled.

Thanks for the FYI on the chaincase and gaskets!!!!

I would upgrade to the '07 snow flap and add a rear heat exchanger. Coming from an SRX you will be dissapointed with the handlebar warmers. You can change to the '07 parallel wiring which will make your '06 grips hotter than hell!

Welcome to TY! Please add your location to your profile.

as everyone said..great sled for the trails..but the mono..ha .ha.ha.if you double..get the spring...changed it on my wifes attack...hit a bump when two..and you will hit the bottom..then again not really a 2 person sled...if you want to get off the trails or bang ditches...get some kind of after market suspention..because that mono can hold snow..big time..but it is pretty heavy for the style of riding you are talking about...jack

before changing out suspension, please look around for info on adjusting your current setup. You can move the c-clip up to the 3rd position and rotate the adjustment collar on the shock body to stiffen up the ride if you bottom out a lot. I have posted on this before, but it might also be in the FAQ section.

Wisconsin said:
before changing out suspension, please look around for info on adjusting your current setup. You can move the c-clip up to the 3rd position and rotate the adjustment collar on the shock body to stiffen up the ride if you bottom out a lot. I have posted on this before, but it might also be in the FAQ section.

If I didnt already have the ExpertX, I would prolly just upgrade the Mono and gusset/adjust it to my ride style. But already having the ExpertX and knowing its a suspension you can beat the crap out of and not worry about anything breaking will help me sleep at night. The only Yamaha skid I havent read or seen break any parts on is the Pro-Active.

Back