• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nutsert mod

HUS457

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper S-TX-DX - Traded
2023 Sidewinder LTX-GT
Hey, anyone still doing the nutsert mod? I haven't seen it mentioned in a bit. Just coincidence or did something put a end to that?

I had all the riv-nuts and screw hardware ready to go on the new sled, but I decided to use the Honda plastic push pins on my new 23 instead of the riv-nuts. I used the riv-nuts on my 17 but decided to change it up on the 23 and had a bag of Honda push pins kicking around on the bench for some time.

Reason being I figured it'd be faster using the push pins, and just prying the pins out requires only a screwdriver, instead of unscrewing all the allens out with an Allen t-handle and having all the washers and screws floating around. I was worried the push pins wouldn't hold the panel in place tight enough, but I undersized the holes by just a smidge and the panel is actually very secure like this. Figured if I didn't like the push pins down the road, it was easy enough to install the riv-nuts later.

I had all the riv-nuts and screw hardware ready to go on the new sled, but I decided to use the Honda plastic push pins on my new 23 instead of the riv-nuts. I used the riv-nuts on my 17 but decided to change it up on the 23 and had a bag of Honda push pins kicking around on the bench for some time.

Reason being I figured it'd be faster using the push pins, and just prying the pins out requires only a screwdriver, instead of unscrewing all the allens out with an Allen t-handle and having all the washers and screws floating around. I was worried the push pins wouldn't hold the panel in place tight enough, but I undersized the holes by just a smidge and the panel is actually very secure like this. Figured if I didn't like the push pins down the road, it was easy enough to install the riv-nuts later.

Just stuff some pushpins in your bag. If they can hold wheel well liners in on every car they will be fine for the sled.

Do you happen to know the part number of the push pins you are using and the hole size you drilled?

Do you happen to know the part number of the push pins you are using and the hole size you drilled?

Do a search for 8mm Honda push pins. They are all the same wether Suzuki, Honda, Polaris. Our ATV's plastics are held together with them, should be fine on the lower Sidewinder panels easily enough.

As for drill size, just measure the plastic rivet at the base and go just a smidge smaller is what I did. The panel will fit nice and snug. The push pins are cheap and easy to use. Available on Amazon or eBay easily enough.

These are not the ones I used as the ones I've had have been kicking around for many years on my bench, but I suspect they are all the same looking at them for sale. This kit come with a nice removal tool as to not need a screwdriver.

I've used the Honda pins on my Duramax....they work well.....the cheap Chinese knock offs, not so much. They get all busted up on removal, so pack spares if you go cheap....

I've used the Honda pins on my Duramax....they work well.....the cheap Chinese knock offs, not so much. They get all busted up on removal, so pack spares if you go cheap....

Interesting, didn't know that. The ones I have are actually genuine Honda I bought for my Honda Rincon many-many years ago. I see the same ones used on the plastics of my Daughters CRV too under the hood and on the plastics of my Honda Pioneer 1000. I've actually seen them used on different ATVs, and many vehicles.

Figured they were all made in China like most everything today.

The oem ones are a nylon reinforced plastic, the cheap knockoffs are just plastic. When you take them apart, the difference is obvious.

The following is an example just based on the fact that they claim they are nylon, they are not the ones to buy if you are swapping out rivets

Have to do some research to find out what kind of plastics are being used but maybe Dorman? They have lots of different push-ins.
Other than that, might have to buy Honda, Toyota, etc.

Dorman has nylon automotive push pins. Most manufacturers do have nylon push pins, but they still aren't the same. For the price, its worth sticking to OEM or someone like dorman who has a reputation to hang on to.

I would love to do this mod to both my winders but it seems Iam always riding in some wet slop, open water and its more important to keep everything sealed and dry than it is to remove panels under sled… I seal everything so no moisture can enter including bearings, belly pan access and all seams and when I have to ride in not so favorable conditions I just let her rip…

Back