• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Jackshaft bearing stuck

Danno-23

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Nytro ER
As simple as it sounds. 2006 Nytro jackshaft bearing (clutch side) wont come off. The 2 set screws are out. Ive tried a slide hammer, a torch and slide hammer, a gear puller, and finally 5-10 minutes propane torch on inner race and shoulder in behind, with a gear puller. I am literally destroying my gear puller with the impact gun and it still won't come off.
I am 24 hours away from cutting the axle off completely. Someone help. Recommendations, tricks of the trade or whatever you have
20160131_200321_zpsyskpoyvr.jpg

Just put it in a shop press, should pop right off...... Sorry brother, couldn't resist. No tricks, you're going about it in the right way, sometimes it just takes more muscle. We had to use a cutoff wheel once to cut 75% through the race before it would budge. ****STEADY HAND REQUIRED**** Wish you luck!

That looks like he driveshaft bearing to me, not the jackshaft. Not that it really matters much. It's amazing that it won't come off with the bearing puller. You can always take the chaincase apart, and remove the whole driveshaft, then deal with the seized on bearing.

That looks like he driveshaft bearing to me, not the jackshaft. Not that it really matters much. It's amazing that it won't come off with the bearing puller. You can always take the chaincase apart, and remove the whole driveshaft, then deal with the seized on bearing.
Sorry. It is the driveshaft. By buddy keeps saying jackshaft so much he has me calling it that.
The chaincase is apart, but apparently this bearing has to come off to feed it into the chaincase first to drop it down and out on the clutch side. Is there something im missing?
It has to come out anyway so I can press on new extroverts.

I've removed the rivets that hold the cup to the inside of the tunnel. This allows removal of the driveshaft once you've removed the chain case.

I've removed the rivets that hold the cup to the inside of the tunnel. This allows removal of the driveshaft once you've removed the chain case.
Seems like an easy idea, its only 2 rivets to get through. Then I can cut /put in a press.
But with the cup released, will it be able to drop down far enough where its still captured in the chaincase bearing?

Edit.... you mean remove the chain case completely... Maybe that's where im headed next.

I have torched it off before ...no problem!( the bearing that is .)

Cut the bearing off with a cutting disc. Had to do it this way on my Polaris a few years back.

not sure about Nytro...I have a Venture...had to remove set screws on back of bearing ....and short shaft bolted onto driveshaft that the speedo sensor detects....as bearing wouldn't slide over it.

cut the outer race with a cutoff wheel then cut the inner race almost through. Apply a little heat and it will come right off.

I was going to use a zip disk on the bearing last night, but it was too close to the bulkhead, coolant line, and a mustang in case the disk exploded. Instead I drilled the 2 rivets holding the cup. Couldnt figure out how to hold the secondary from spinning to release the 36mm nut. I tried the vice grip and rag trick with no success. Now to find either a splined socket, or a deep 36 with an impact to remove the chain case. Anyone have any better ideas? Then Ill zip the bearing off with a little more comfort.

I dropped the shaft out, cut the outer race off, and then the gear puller, or any of it's attachments didnt fit the inner race. So then the inner race was cut off with a torch. What a mess.
Thanks for the help guys!

So then the inner race was cut off with a torch.

I don't know what they others guys here think but IMO if you had to use a torch on the shaft I wouldn't reuse that shaft!

Back