• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Power won't shut off -kind of question.

Hillclimber

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 MCX VIper
After a deep day of riding, see below, (I rode the sled into the enclosed trailer, brought it home and parked the trailer. 3 days later I entered the trailer to find the red temperature light and the display screen lit. I double checked the key and found it in the off position. I was able to start the sled, (which leads me to believe the light and display wasn't on since the weekend).

After shutting the sled off, the display went off and then turned on again (with the fuel pump).
I rode the sled into the warm garage (thinking moisture in the electrical system) and unpluged the green 40a relay above the oil tank to kill power to the ignition system. I tested it again this morning with the same results: plug relay back in with key off (no lights), turn the switch on, fuel pump runs, display lights up. Turn key switch off, system shuts off then restarts with flickering display.
I was planning on checking all the electrical plugs that I can get at and dielectric greasing all the connections and then prefiltering all the panel openings.
Any other suggestions or specific areas to look into?
Thanks in advance,HC

Attachments

• DSC00367.jpg
    DSC00367.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 94

Calvin42 said:
Is it a 08' or 09'?? By the way, nice picture.
It's an 8. Thanks, I just ride and let my buddys stop and take the pics ;)!

The drying out seems to have helped as it's back to normal today (5 days later?).
I went thru the plugs that I could reach and blew them out with air, I didn't see any water come out. Guess I'll just goop them up and hope for the best.

I picked up some metal mesh at the hardware store, I plan to fabricate new covers for the side panel's openings, ones that are a little wider on the inside so I can pre-filter and rivet them on and be done with the moisture intrusion.

That's probably a good call. Let us know how it works out. I have an 09' and hope I don't have similar issues.

I would make sure you did the ignition key plug, as that's where all the magic happens.

Crewchief47 said:
I would make sure you did the ignition key plug, as that's where all the magic happens.
I will for sure, don't want to mess with the magic. ;)!

There is a tech bulletin out for some clamp to hold some wiring due to possible chaffing....might wanna have the dealer complete that, maybe you've got a short there?

Butta said:
There is a tech bulletin out for some clamp to hold some wiring due to possible chaffing....might wanna have the dealer complete that, maybe you've got a short there?

who knows where his wirings been! i could not even be there anymore. :p

hey, big blue is out, lets get the nytros out together n play Rich. lol

r0tax said:
Butta said:

who knows where his wirings been! i could not even be there anymore. :p

hey, big blue is out, lets get the nytros out together n play Rich. lol

I had a good testing day yesterday, The improved prefilter and new screen system worked great and I didn't have any snow or ghosts in the machine. :jump:

On a somber note, it was my second week in a row of broken timbersled front end stuff. Time to get the stock front end back on and call Allen.
I don't know, Rotax, am I hard on stuff or what? :o|

Hey, well, I've had a certain sled that liked to bend trailing arms, radius rods, shock shafts, shock mounts, etc....

Pick a card, any card I guess. =\

And actually, if your sub frame is still straight, I'd still rather bend an a-arm than bulkhead/subframe.
That I learned as well with another certain sled. hah

early season riding and lots of hidden gems always means spending money...but then hey, this is sledding...it is ALL about spending money...

hillclimber, what specifically are you breaking on the timbersled front, and specific conditions on the failure??? enquiring minds. ski

sledskiing said:
question is what hasn't broke? The carnage I saw we couldn't believe it broke. Must have been the sweet spot.

He should have stayed with the Rev. It's OK for them to break.

I don't know what you are referring to, I don't recall any carnage. :moon:
And for the record, I had zero front suspension damages on last 2 doos or stock Nytro.

SDB: The first ride I had the upper ball joint break right at the threads into the upper a-arm.
We found a downed tree across the trail, Rotax pulled up the side hill about 6 feet, reversed back onto the trail. I pulled up 3 feet to the right of where he did, I tried to back up with and got about a foot.
I got off, wondering why the sled didn't go backwards very far. On backing up the ski must have hung up, the ball broke and the ski flipped over 180. Very odd. Sledskiing was there as a witness to my gentleness.

Next ride (on a new ball joint, (bought 2 just in case.)) I put the sled thru it's usual early season testing including a few interesting creek crossings and the assorted under snow obstacles hitting ther track and occasional ski. I recall a decent impact with the left ski but not anything directly on the lower a-arms.
Later in the day I noticed a tendancy for the sled to drift right into the nearest tree well or creek. Further inspection revealed the left lower a-arm's back tube had bent up and the left ski toed in. By the time I got back to the house it had cracked across the bottom, and the crack extended around the sides and almost connected at the top. It was a really interesting ride as the toe in had gotten considerably worse.

I called Timbersled yesterday and spoke to Budd. He's shipping me a replacement a-arm, I'll send the cracked one back and he'll evaluate it for possible warranty replacement. We'll see how it plays out.

Back