• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Off to Maine for season

It is too bad that you missed the snow; hopefully you have more trips planned. Based upon your pictures, we appear to ride the same areas, and the good news is that they have improved. I went up Sunday afternoon, after snow stopped at home, and while it was still snowing in Jackman. We did just under 100 miles late Sunday afternoon into early Sunday evening, and then got up at the crack of dawn to do another 200 miles on Monday before driving home. Jackman to Pittston Farm to Lake Parlin and everything in between was excellent. Monday morning we were the first sleds on the trail out of Jackman, and it was incredible. The Pittston Farm trail has some awesome new re-routes. There were plenty of long runs on wide woods roads with sweeping corners and good visibility. We met one group of 4 sleds during the 60 mile run for breakfast at the Farm. As my riding buddy said, it was a "Sidewinder kind of day." Where Pittston Farm took over grooming with its new drag, the trails had a surface that looked like it had been worked by a Zamboni rather than a groomer. The only negative was the Blue Ridge Riders' trails probably had not seen a groomer yet this year. Luckily, our various loops only intersected briefly with their trail system. By report, the Kokadjo-Northeast Carry-Pittston Farm trail was also hard, flat, and fast. The snow still seemed a little thin west of Route 201, but overall, the riding was incredible. Let's keep our fingers crossed for continued cold weather and more snow.

Does anyone know if Chesuncook Lakehouse will be open this year?

With the late arrival of rideable snow, reports are somewhat behind, and I haven't heard anything yet.

My wife says their Facebook page indicates that they shall be open on weekends (Specifically Thurs FRi Sat) starting on 1/23 with snacks and gas limited. Having a tough time rebuilding way out there, it’s taking longer then expected.

Have seen a few post concerning people making it to the trains from different starting points.

My wife says their Facebook page indicates that they shall be open on weekends (Specifically Thurs FRi Sat) starting on 1/23 with snacks and gas limited. Having a tough time rebuilding way out there, it’s taking longer then expected.

Have seen a few post concerning people making it to the trains from different starting points.

Thanks for the info. I knew they had issues acquiring permits etc, but it's been a couple years and I thought issues would have been ironed out by now. I feel for the owners as it must be frustrating.

Last edited:
Yes it does seem like permits have been a dragging issue.

Lakefront property rules have changed a lot in recent years.

Sometimes you are better off rebuilding on same footprint with the 20% expansion rule if you can, but theirs was a 100% loss so that grandfather rule may not have been a choice. Not sure exactly what problems that they ran into when trying to get permits, but I can just imagine from what I have heard from those who have bought waterfront camps wanting to turn them into bigger lakefront homes! That learning curve can cost lots of time.

The Chesuncook building permit issues have more to do with PAST permit & tax issues that the State picked up on.
They are supposed to be open with gas as of next week.

Yep that you can count on. The State O Maine wants to tax you until it hurts. They are inventing more as we speak, and that is no #*$&@! OK rant over!!

Yep that you can count on. The State O Maine wants to tax you until it hurts. They are inventing more as we speak, and that is no #*$&@! OK rant over!!
That's okay, keep ranting! I should be retired, but if I want to live in Maine, I have to keep working. The taxes on everything are ridiculous.

Back to Maine this morning. Mother nature is a bitch. A lil rain yesterday. Snowed lightly today during drive from airport. Lots of slush on Moosehead. Trails to the Forks better than expected. Pretty quick 70 miles with a stop at Kellys before a big ribeye for dinner back at camp.
Green 86S better than expected.
Rockwood
Lake Parlin Coburn
Forks
Loop back tomorrow.

Was up there last weekend. Need snow. Some trails were very good some not. Hard to believe how much the snow pack varies.

Just returned home yesterday after a long weekend in the Maine. Limestone, Caribou, and the rest of the northeastern Aroostook County trails were in stellar condition - can't say the same for Portage, Eagle Lake, or Fort Kent trails (they were absolute garbage).

Had my SideWinder in for a coolant hose warranty (Gary's Yamaha had it in and out in less than a couple hours) and rode the trusty Apex during the work on Friday - I sure do miss the sound of that 4-cylinder at full throttle. We tried ITS 81A from Limestone on Saturday, but I had a chain case issue on my ' Winder after hitting a few jumps. It looks like the chain case is falling into neutral or reverse when landing (that sure makes a pretty stellar grinding noise). So back to Gary's she went for a diagnosis and hopefully new parts.

Off to Islamorada for this weekend to keep the wife happy too and now good snow predicted for Maine. Time to book some Feb and March trips.

Just changed the belt on the 800RR right there. What a pain. Had to youtube it - owner of sled was not on this trip.

Last edited:
The Majestic Mt Katahdin!
I feel as though i spend my whole weekends just trying to get around that thing.
It just keeps staring at me wherever i go!
Like a GOD!
Or worse.......my MOM!

I am off to Millinocket this Sunday for a weeks stay at the moose shed lodge. We stay there every year and it looks like we may get some good riding in . I hope the blue ox is ready for us

Back