• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Off to Maine for season

We bought land and built in Jackman, @ 10 miles north of Parlin Pond, and love it. Given the respective economies, I suspect that you could get a place in Aroostook much cheaper than Jackman, Rockwood, Greenville, etc., and generally, the County is a little more reliable for snow, but the County is a long commute on weekends, even for us in central Maine.

It also depends on what you do to get up to The County - we bring the trailer up around Thanksgiving and leave it in a heated warehouse less than 30 seconds from the hotel. So instead of the 9+ hour drive one-way towing a trailer, it takes us less than 7 hours to get up to Limestone (including a quick bite to eat in Newport or Houlton).

I have to buy some land up there. I'm tired of the NH riding. I registered for Maine and will be over there at some point. Parlin lake is usually as far as I go. Need to expand

Believe me when I say I have tried all of Maine’s different locations, BUT

If you really want to spoil yourself with the best trails that Maine has to offer and you have time for a day of trailering each way. Wait until the later part of the season, after Presidents week school vacation. Try to plan a week trip when the weather looks calm with that 40-20 temp swing thing, you know maybe 40 during the day but back to 20 and under during the night with no big storms in the forecast. Whether you back pack it from Shin Pond or trailer another hour North to Presque Isle / Caribou area, what you shall find is, the masses have given up on sledding for the year, and riders from all over, (Penn, Conn, Mass, NY, RI, etc) have come up to Maine to enjoy perfect trails and not many sleds on them. I am not saying that their trails are not great during all winter months when there is snow on the ground, just saying that if you catch that late season riding up there when it is good, it truly makes for some exceptional long loops all over the county in comfort.

Always have been some really good deals for land or camps in the county, but you can’t beat the Moosehead Lake area for resale prices years from now, if you ever decide to sell. County trails are by far the better, but resale at a later date will not offer the same profit % if any.

I trailer every weekend to many different spots, and if the county was closer for me, that is where most of my miles would go!

If you desire better trails, it will have to be Canada.

Just nice to try all out though, whereas I am from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours of trailering away. Last year was unusual in Augusta, we were able to leave right from home for 5- 6 weeks or so. I am on my 7th and probably my last trailer I think? So in short,

Think snow all, and enjoy this great sport while you can.

It also depends on what you do to get up to The County - we bring the trailer up around Thanksgiving and leave it in a heated warehouse less than 30 seconds from the hotel. So instead of the 9+ hour drive one-way towing a trailer, it takes us less than 7 hours to get up to Limestone (including a quick bite to eat in Newport or Houlton).

I love the County, and I used to ride there a lot because nothing else in Maine compared. Now, clubs further south have made huge strides in grooming, both in equipment and in time spent grooming. I ride in Jackman, and the local club (Border Riders), along with surrounding clubs do an outstanding job, and we have awesome riding, much of it on wide open woods roads designed for 18-wheel pulp trucks.

This how serious i am about Maine.
I bought one for all my buds
IMG_4903.jpg

Last edited:
Yessah, very cool !
Could also be 207 kilometers or 128 mph club. I do like that as it really being the area code.. Ha Ha.

Kinda like the 200 or the 300 mile per hour club that goes on at the Limestone LSR events during the summer.

Back at home. 453 miles in 3 1/2 days. We passed 3 total incoming sleds the entire time (we ride mid-week because we can). 50% bad and worse, 50% pretty good. Lots of overheating on Tues due to conditions/lack of snow. Yesterday's snow should a go long way. Passed countless trailers going the other way on my way to airport.

SE windshield too short, trimmed my old windscreen, a Viper Sport medium, 3" or so and prefer that.

73.1 grams got me 9000 on hammer and settles at 8800. Still running 8JP, but have XS as my spare. Flasher works when it wants to. Yesterday was 1st day really trying Max Spool 16 stock muffler. Cant say I was blown away from Powertrail but conditions didnt allow really stretching her out. Would be really interested in trying Hurricanes SS240 stock exhaust tune.

Still want to adjust skid for less ski pressure. Spring change, transfer bar delete. Gonna try something.

New guest rider set up a yard sale on ITS 86 just below Greenville so we had to give him a Presidential entourage back to camp across Moosehead withouy his headlights. Then we slightly depleted Travis' take off parts inventory.

Rt 66 staked yesterday
Kokadjo groomed last night I guess right after we went through (or maybe this am).

Yep. A guest rider got crossed up and kissed a tree with the headlight pod. Should be back together by Tuesday.

He "kissed" a tree. LOL
What happens in Maine..........Stays in Maine. We don't judge!

Funny thing is, it's these little things like breakdowns, going off the trail or somebody getting the "runs" that seem to really make the trip.
The "stories" make the trip..........as long as nobody gets hurt............except the tree's feelings that he teased with a "kiss" & probably didn't call the next day

The fact I have to wait 4 more days to see any of these views is driving me nuts! How was the climb up Coburn Mountain? The last time we tried it, someone got stuck three quarters of the way up and absolutely trashed the trail (a 1" lug and having the flipper to the gripper was the wrong way to do it). It took a little bit of on seat acrobatics to dip in and out of his trench without turning down the hill and "kissing" some trees.

The fact I have to wait 4 more days to see any of these views is driving me nuts! How was the climb up Coburn Mountain? The last time we tried it, someone got stuck three quarters of the way up and absolutely trashed the trail (a 1" lug and having the flipper to the gripper was the wrong way to do it). It took a little bit of on seat acrobatics to dip in and out of his trench without turning down the hill and "kissing" some trees.
With the limited snowfall to that point I doubt the ride to the summit gets much easier than it was that day. I have seen video and read stories of the usual trench near the top and was worried that we might have some that couldn't make it. That was my 1st time up. I did not use my drone because of the cloud cover essentially enveloping us as snow moved in. I may have the ride up on Gopro. Haven't had time to review all.

Back at home. 453 miles in 3 1/2 days. We passed 3 total incoming sleds the entire time (we ride mid-week because we can). 50% bad and worse, 50% pretty good. Lots of overheating on Tues due to conditions/lack of snow. Yesterday's snow should a go long way. Passed countless trailers going the other way on my way to airport.

SE windshield too short, trimmed my old windscreen, a Viper Sport medium, 3" or so and prefer that.

73.1 grams got me 9000 on hammer and settles at 8800. Still running 8JP, but have XS as my spare. Flasher works when it wants to. Yesterday was 1st day really trying Max Spool 16 stock muffler. Cant say I was blown away from Powertrail but conditions didnt allow really stretching her out. Would be really interested in trying Hurricanes SS240 stock exhaust tune.

Still want to adjust skid for less ski pressure. Spring change, transfer bar delete. Gonna try something.

New guest rider set up a yard sale on ITS 86 just below Greenville so we had to give him a Presidential entourage back to camp across Moosehead withouy his headlights. Then we slightly depleted Travis' take off parts inventory.

Rt 66 staked yesterday
Kokadjo groomed last night I guess right after we went through (or maybe this am).

It is too bad that you missed the snow; hopefully you have more trips planned. Based upon your pictures, we appear to ride the same areas, and the good news is that they have improved. I went up Sunday afternoon, after snow stopped at home, and while it was still snowing in Jackman. We did just under 100 miles late Sunday afternoon into early Sunday evening, and then got up at the crack of dawn to do another 200 miles on Monday before driving home. Jackman to Pittston Farm to Lake Parlin and everything in between was excellent. Monday morning we were the first sleds on the trail out of Jackman, and it was incredible. The Pittston Farm trail has some awesome new re-routes. There were plenty of long runs on wide woods roads with sweeping corners and good visibility. We met one group of 4 sleds during the 60 mile run for breakfast at the Farm. As my riding buddy said, it was a "Sidewinder kind of day." Where Pittston Farm took over grooming with its new drag, the trails had a surface that looked like it had been worked by a Zamboni rather than a groomer. The only negative was the Blue Ridge Riders' trails probably had not seen a groomer yet this year. Luckily, our various loops only intersected briefly with their trail system. By report, the Kokadjo-Northeast Carry-Pittston Farm trail was also hard, flat, and fast. The snow still seemed a little thin west of Route 201, but overall, the riding was incredible. Let's keep our fingers crossed for continued cold weather and more snow.

It is too bad that you missed the snow; hopefully you have more trips planned. Based upon your pictures, we appear to ride the same areas, and the good news is that they have improved. I went up Sunday afternoon, after snow stopped at home, and while it was still snowing in Jackman. We did just under 100 miles late Sunday afternoon into early Sunday evening, and then got up at the crack of dawn to do another 200 miles on Monday before driving home. Jackman to Pittston Farm to Lake Parlin and everything in between was excellent. Monday morning we were the first sleds on the trail out of Jackman, and it was incredible. The Pittston Farm trail has some awesome new re-routes. There were plenty of long runs on wide woods roads with sweeping corners and good visibility. We met one group of 4 sleds during the 60 mile run for breakfast at the Farm. As my riding buddy said, it was a "Sidewinder kind of day." Where Pittston Farm took over grooming with its new drag, the trails had a surface that looked like it had been worked by a Zamboni rather than a groomer. The only negative was the Blue Ridge Riders' trails probably had not seen a groomer yet this year. Luckily, our various loops only intersected briefly with their trail system. By report, the Kokadjo-Northeast Carry-Pittston Farm trail was also hard, flat, and fast. The snow still seemed a little thin west of Route 201, but overall, the riding was incredible. Let's keep our fingers crossed for continued cold weather and more snow.
My next flight up is early Monday. Bill Mohr spring in my luggage. Monday afternoon I plan to track log and map the Prong Pond re-route for the club unless someone beats me to it. I've seen the snow on webcams and forecast looks good.

Back