• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change

WANN4STROKE

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Viking
2006 ApxMtn-sold
2001 MtnMax-sold
1998 VMAX 500-totalled
So I am not a master mechanic. I do most of my own vechicles, snowblower , etc. Is changing the oil on an 06 Apex Mtn that difficult or would I be better off letting my dealer do it? I can't find instructions on how to do it myself.. I have the shop manual and owners.

Also, thinking about changing the ski stance. Seems a bit tipsy for me. Is it worth it?

Thxs.

David :yam:

The actual changing isn't realy all that hard, it's what you have to do to get to the filter. If you have a couple of hours to blow for your first time oil change then do it yourself. The second time will be much quicker! If you don't have the time........spend the dough and have you're local Yami shop do it for you. The Apex is a piece of cake compared to the new Phazers.
As for the ski stance......I don't know as I'm still runnin' with narrow width. I did however remove the anti-sway bar. That seemed to help off trail for the boondocking.
Just my 2 cents! I do believe it is good to do your oil change at least once so as you'll be a lot more familiar with your sled (just don't cuss me later...lol).

I had less experience fixing stuff then you and was very afraid of doing an oil change myself. But after about 2 years of having the dealer do it I decided to try myself and it took me a long time, but I also changed the front end bushings as well and had to go to the store every here and there to get the right tools, anyway I am so happy that I did it, I am no master mechanic either, but now that I have done it once, I will be able to do it again in under an hour. So yes I think you can do it your self, if you have a couple hours or a couple nights to spend on it. Research on this site, alot of info in the regular apex/attack section about oil changes. Also go to ulmer racing website and go to instructions. They have instructions with pictures on how to take the airbox and headlight off in order to get to the oil filter. Also you need to have the right tools. If you don't have a long T handle (4mm I belive) 6 inch allen wrench, you won't be able to get the airbox off. Or if you don't want to deal with it, just take it into the dealer and you know things will get done right.

tkuss said:
just take it into the dealer and you know things will get done right.
Take the time and learn how to do it yourself, piece of cake after you do it once or twice. That is how you know it will get it done right. Also give you the opportunity to inspect everything up front which you should do regularly anyway. Seen too many times airbox not seated properly, battery terminals loose, gearbox cover not tightened (not oil change related), headlight pod tabs broken, wire routing misplaced, tools/parts left in the engine compartment, plugs not tightened and such when you let other people do the work.

ski-bum said:
tkuss said:
just take it into the dealer and you know things will get done right.
Take the time and learn how to do it yourself, piece of cake after you do it once or twice. That is how you know it will get it done right. Also give you the opportunity to inspect everything up front which you should do regularly anyway. Seen too many times airbox not seated properly, battery terminals loose, gearbox cover not tightened (not oil change related), headlight pod tabs broken, wire routing misplaced, tools/parts left in the engine compartment, plugs not tightened and such when you let other people do the work.
>>>
DITTO...well worth doing yourself for the piece of mind! Not that hard, made out to be alot more then it really is. Also I would recommend investing in an Ulmer Racing filter relocation kit, quality parts and makes the oil change so much easier, takes 5 minutes now. :-o

i just did it last night on my 07 mtn. it was alot of work to get to the filter but it was easy to do just time consuming :Rockon: was well worth the time as we have 3 apex mtn`s.has anyone tried amsoil 0w 30 full syth? or what is everyone else using? and do you all change your filter every oil change?

I was told not to use Full synthetic as it may cause some starter problems, aparently there is a fiber type clutch on the starter ??? and full synthetic makes them slip causing a $500.00 bill.

MountainMax said:
Ulmer racing has discontinued the oil filter relocation kit

You gotta be kidding me! I'm glad I got one before they were gone! It makes changing the oil on my Apex a 15 min job, as opposed to 45-60 mins without it. That's too bad.

Max ;):D

Back