• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil tank leak

Kept putting off the BOP gasket install. Decided to just tackle it today and get it out of the way. I was surprised how much moisture/condensation was on the upper inside tank housing. I cleaned and wiped it all out well before reassembling. Old gasket material came off easily. Made sure to get it all of each surface. Used blue Loctite on the threads. Torqued to 6 foot pounds in increments. Checked few mins later and re torqued. Dealer said they put a wrap of teflon on drain bolt threads. I also trying this. Not sure if it will deteriorate with the oil or not but o-ring pretty new and only been off once. Hopefully this will stop the little drops of oil I’ve been finding on bottom of tank every couple days.

You don't need or use teflon tape on a straight thread oil plug. The O-ring does the sealing. Teflon tape should only be used on tapered pipe thread joints. Using teflon tape on the oil drain plug could cause leaking if getting pinched below the o-ring. Don't do something that stupid just cause the dealer is an idiot.

The oil drips more then likely coming from the tank seal, if leaking from drain plug, either tank is cracked or o-ring is bad. I've never been able to re-use a o-ring, they always are damaged with just one use. Get yourself a metric o-ring kit, there are plenty of o-rings for future use and they are cheap.

THE o ring on the return pipe to the engine leaks too on the bottom of the oil tank

My buddy brought his sled over today for a quick go over and good thing he did. Got ready to back the sled off the trailer and nothing but oil. Another gasket gone bad. Looks like another order to Travis, another rov delete, and removable panel is on the list. Can’t believe no recall but then again why would they when their closing the doors.

THE o ring on the return pipe to the engine leaks too on the bottom of the oil tank
Bottom hose is suction side to oil pump. Return is up higher far right side.
Common to find the holes for the two screws that attach steel 90 deg elbow fitting (w oring) too shallow for length of screws used. Either shorten screws (about 1/8") or add a small washer under head. If screws can't tighten, they won't clamp that steel elbow into tank and thereby not compress oring.

I picked one up to have on hand. It was hard to determine if it was leaking , or if the drain bolt was leaking, or it was just dripping from tank gasket and accumulating on drain plug. I got the BOP gasket installed to his torque spec of 6 foot pound max. Next day I noticed gasket is cracked at every bolt hole. Hopefully it sealed ok. No drops yet and I ran motor for about 10 mins to check. I reached out to Travis to see what he thinks.

I picked one up to have on hand. It was hard to determine if it was leaking , or if the drain bolt was leaking, or it was just dripping from tank gasket and accumulating on drain plug. I got the BOP gasket installed to his torque spec of 6 foot pound max. Next day I noticed gasket is cracked at every bolt hole. Hopefully it sealed ok. No drops yet and I ran motor for about 10 mins to check. I reached out to Travis to see what he thinks.
Very common to find that the holes where 2 screws that hold that steel elbow into bottom of oil tank (suction side hose to oil pump) are too shallow for screws. The screws bottom before they pull that elbow up tight into bottom of oil tank. Doesn't compress oring so it leaks. Either shorten screws 1/8" or add a washer to them.

Very common to find that the holes where 2 screws that hold that steel elbow into bottom of oil tank (suction side hose to oil pump) are too shallow for screws. The screws bottom before they pull that elbow up tight into bottom of oil tank. Doesn't compress oring so it leaks. Either shorten screws 1/8" or add a washer to them.
Thanks for this. Hoping this is what is causing my slow drip. Was about to purchase UV oil to try and locate the leak. Screws removed and shortened one at a time. Waiting to see if the drip stops. Fingers crossed.

Next day I noticed gasket is cracked at every bolt hole. Hopefully it sealed ok. No drops yet and I ran motor for about 10 mins to check. I reached out to Travis to see what he thinks.
Were you able to determine the cause of the cracks in the gasket? I just bought one, but now unsure if I should use it.
Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Were you able to determine the cause of the cracks in the gasket? I just bought one, but now unsure if I should use it.
Has anyone else noticed this issue?
I haven’t determined. Maybe I should have stopped at 5 foot pounds rather than 6. I went back over them a couple times after a few mins , maybe I shouldn’t have. I haven’t put eyes on the sled in two week so hopefully I don’t find a puddle……. Travis seen my pics and thinks I’m fine.

These gaskets concern me, if their cracking on the outside one can assume they cracked on the inside ?

I’m not yet overly worried. Lots of people have used them successfully. Now if I find a puddle under sled next time I look at it, I’m sure my opinion will change lol.

Back