• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Id still like to directly compare the two, but Tom never seems to be able to ride so far.

But I dont feel that at all with stocker, its a very seemless pull from bottom to top.
I think the problem with the tunes is most don't even have an effect on lower RPM's. When clutched for the added upper rpm power the low end suffers big time. That's why I think the Hurricane race tunes that kick in at much lower rpm's may be the answer to low end performance loss. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on you tune pkg.

I think the problem with the tunes is most don't even have an effect on lower RPM's. When clutched for the added upper rpm power the low end suffers big time. That's why I think the Hurricane race tunes that kick in at much lower rpm's may be the answer to low end performance loss. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on you tune pkg.
Joe as usual you are always right on. Im thinking similarly.

Other part of this is also clutching.....when we all add the big power, we add weight. Now we are swinging more weight and that can have an ill effect down at bottom, especially when combined with the low rpms LACK of boost. So it then comes on like gangbusters at 7500 on Toms tune I believe, and makes anything under that rpm feel doggy.

Stock, Yammie made these sleds so darn quiet and docile, they are pure pleasure to run down any trail at an speed. I could see a small child or woman for first time riding this sled, to a seasoned old timer.....Its quite remarkable bone stock.

Dan

Joe as usual you are always right on. Im thinking similarly.

Other part of this is also clutching.....when we all add the big power, we add weight. Now we are swinging more weight and that can have an ill effect down at bottom, especially when combined with the low rpms LACK of boost. So it then comes on like gangbusters at 7500 on Toms tune I believe, and makes anything under that rpm feel doggy.

Stock, Yammie made these sleds so darn quiet and docile, they are pure pleasure to run down any trail at an speed. I could see a small child or woman for first time riding this sled, to a seasoned old timer.....Its quite remarkable bone stock.

Dan
Exactly Dan. When tuning for the big power up top you have to add weight and the low end then becomes doggy.

Did this several yrs back, and over time the epoxy just pops off when it loses its grip in the hollow pockets, not really needed but wont hurt either way.

Are those Bergstrom shims(was that a typo)?

Ones I have always seen from Scott are black.

How thick are they?

Dan
Yes they are Bergstrom shims. he sent me white ones last year. From memory 3/16” thick. Took it out last Saturday turn great had no darting.

UPDATE!

After running with a 1/4" shim for 300 miles, i have already lost the first 1" section of carbide on my brand new bar!! Not nearly as bad as my last set that pretty much burned right through the front where the wear pad is... so we are on the right track! I am going to try 3/8" shims now and see how that works. having 2000 miles with these skis now, the rubbers have really sacked out. will try the 3/8 shim and report back next week.

IMG_9557[1].JPG

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - some great info here. I picked up the ‘18 RTX-SE and have put the first 160km on it and am enjoying the power but not the hard steering and unpredictable cornering with the tuners. Looks like pilots for me but I’m tossed between the 6.9 and 5.7, mainly because of the width with respect to trailering (I trailers a fair bit with 2 sleds). In all the discussion about width through this thread, unless I missed it, I didn’t see an actual outside-outside width measurement across the skis in the wide mount position. Any chance someone with 6.9’s could take that measurement and post it? Thanks!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - some great info here. I picked up the ‘18 RTX-SE and have put the first 160km on it and am enjoying the power but not the hard steering and unpredictable cornering with the tuners. Looks like pilots for me but I’m tossed between the 6.9 and 5.7, mainly because of the width with respect to trailering (I trailers a fair bit with 2 sleds). In all the discussion about width through this thread, unless I missed it, I didn’t see an actual outside-outside width measurement across the skis in the wide mount position. Any chance someone with 6.9’s could take that measurement and post it? Thanks!

5.7” versus 6.9”!! That simple!

UPDATE!

After running with a 1/4" shim for 300 miles, i have already lost the first 1" section of carbide on my brand new bar!! Not nearly as bad as my last set that pretty much burned right through the front where the wear pad is... so we are on the right track! I am going to try 3/8" shims now and see how that works. having 2000 miles with these skis now, the rubbers have really sacked out. will try the 3/8 shim and report back next week.

View attachment 135556
Brent.....those are shapers I assume? I just feel like the shaper is not the quality they once were yrs ago.....I stopped using them when I felt pieces of carbide were coming off prematurely......woodys/brp ROUND carbides people!

Dan

I will try to remember sorry I should have this measurement in this thread.

But I can tell you, the 6.9 is 6-3/4" actual width....so if you divide that in half, and add the ski stance in specs....you should get an accurate measurement.

Dan

I will try to remember sorry I should have this measurement in this thread.

But I can tell you, the 6.9 is 6-3/4" actual width....so if you divide that in half, and add the ski stance in specs....you should get an accurate measurement.

Dan
Thanks - that should get me very close. I just wasn't sure if the 6.9's were perfectly symmetrical with respect to the center of the spindle, given the mounting arrangement, so just that a tape measure across the skis would give the most accurate answer.

Thanks - that should get me very close. I just wasn't sure if the 6.9's were perfectly symmetrical with respect to the center of the spindle, given the mounting arrangement, so just that a tape measure across the skis would give the most accurate answer.
How much room you got to work with? I know I was worried with my pickup but it goes in easily with room to spare.

So it must be around 48-49" is my guess. I will measure it for you, just gotta remember with all this rollover valve ideas floating around today...grrr

Dan

How much room you got to work with? I know I was worried with my pickup but it goes in easily with room to spare.

So it must be around 48-49" is my guess. I will measure it for you, just gotta remember with all this rollover valve ideas floating around today...grrr

Dan
Good question - I need to get out and measure inside width on the trailer with the cover down, but I think it's around 98". So if it the sled with the pilots are no more than 49" give or take, it shouldn't be an issue. If and when you have a moment to take a measurement, that would be very much appreciated.

Maybe my head is thick with the cold this morning but I'm not sure how this ties in with the reference to the rollover valve - is there something I'm missing here?

Good question - I need to get out and measure inside width on the trailer with the cover down, but I think it's around 98". So if it the sled with the pilots are no more than 49" give or take, it shouldn't be an issue. If and when you have a moment to take a measurement, that would be very much appreciated.

Maybe my head is thick with the cold this morning but I'm not sure how this ties in with the reference to the rollover valve - is there something I'm missing here?
LOL....yeah read the rollover valve thread, we are all following Mikes lead, being proactive.

Dan

Back