• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Didn't anyone tell you the sidewinder doesn't have powersteering? All them years of the EPS apex have spoiled you! Ha
lol. I know and now I have to pay you for the manual version. are you willing to let me demo a set for 2-3 years?

Thanks for the latest Mike
Ive run the cat skis with slim jims and weren’t terrible
Then went with snowtrackers and better
I have purchased the mps to try this season coming and I think will get a set of pilots with the ace. My buddy has a set of c an a razor which i will try as well
For me im looking for less push at speed. Ive got no darting or heavy steering issues and maybe it was just the winter we had where trails wernt set up as much and resulting push. Another 8 months and will see.
Enjoy your summer
Mike

My pilot 5.7 w/7.5 shapers mounted on them,do not push at all,only in very new lose snow do I get some push,but they do dart some on hard rutted snow,when I said rutted,i ment ski ruts,may get you locked into there track now and than.

Great topic!!!
After trying 5 different ski’s on my Winder over approx 3800 Miles 6.9 Pilots were the best.
I know there are many talking about Curve ski’s on Winders but after using them I would rate them one of the worst ski’s to be used for this application. The curve ski’s were almost as bad as the Yamaha Tuner Ski’s.
Yes if using on a controlled sno cross track the curves would be good but in a real world trail application I would not recommend.
Way to much steering effort.

My opinion for Sidewinder ski for Trail is.

#1 6.9 pilot ski 7.5” inner 4” outer carbide
#2 5.7 pilot ski 7.5” inner 4” outer carbide
#3 Arctic Cat Ski with 6” woody’s Slim Jim
#4 Curve Ski with Woodys Dool runner
# 5 stock tuner ski with 6” inner and 0” outer.

Just my opinion.

Great topic!!!
After trying 5 different ski’s on my Winder over approx 3800 Miles 6.9 Pilots were the best.
I know there are many talking about Curve ski’s on Winders but after using them I would rate them one of the worst ski’s to be used for this application. The curve ski’s were almost as bad as the Yamaha Tuner Ski’s.
Yes if using on a controlled sno cross track the curves would be good but in a real world trail application I would not recommend.
Way to much steering effort.

My opinion for Sidewinder ski for Trail is.

#1 6.9 pilot ski 7.5” inner 4” outer carbide
#2 5.7 pilot ski 7.5” inner 4” outer carbide
#3 Arctic Cat Ski with 6” woody’s Slim Jim
#4 Curve Ski with Woodys Dool runner
# 5 stock tuner ski with 6” inner and 0” outer.

Just my opinion.
I agree brother.....I only tried curves once and hated them. I don't mention it much as I know some guys like them. I know the pilots helped my Apex, and my Cat('12 procross) immensely. Many guys like to run aftermarket i know, but for me the pilots(5.7 or 6.9 now) always offer the lightest effort and least darting of any ski made, and always are FAR CHEAPER then any other option.

Only negative I see is for guys who want a super aggressive ski, then Id go C&A, but with these pilots on this chassie you can run the biggest carbide and still have light effort, and really decent carving.

Dan

Last edited:
Anything special I need to put the 6.9s on my apex xtx. ?
Its been a zillion years since then, but I had pilots on my Apex from day one....If I recall, it was near exact same install as the winder....where you turn one bushing around to get proper clearance. All pilots needs shims since their design is too forward biased. Rubbers will be only thing that will be unique to the Apex, so you will need to do what you need to get them in, and shimmed correctly. I may have even used the BRP rubbers back then? Just cant recall.

Dan

SW main ski Bolt and washers:

Now that we have the OUTER bushing reinserted, we can change the washer setup on the ski bolt install....

We need to do this cause the spacing after the bushing change, still is not exact and additionally, now that we have changed the outer bushing, we want a shoulder INSIDE that outer ski plastic, between the SW spindle and the plastic ski(since the bushing shoulder is now outside) so it does not wear on the plastic.

From outside to inside: Bolt, Bushing, Ski, Washer, SW spindle, Bushing, Ski, Washer, Nut, cotter pin.

Dan

View attachment 125290View attachment 125289View attachment 125280 View attachment 125281 View attachment 125282 View attachment 125283
Rocker D, great info on the pilots.
Last year purchased the 2018 SW X-TX SE 141 and the steering was week at best. My issues out of the gate besides the wear & tear on the arms was that it pushed or understeered in turns. I was set to purchase an MPS kit when I saw this thread. If money was not an issue would you do the MPS or the Pilot 6.9? or both?
I saw you discuss rear shock adjustment on another thread last year. Would rear shock adjustment also tighten me up?

Scott

Has anyone had much experience running powder pros on winders? I see a couple guys mention them but not much info. The reason I ask is because I have a set I could take off one of my cats and try on the SW or just get the pilots right away. The PP work pretty good on my 2s cat depending on carbide I used. I have some 4 inchers with keel blade that work good for all day trail rides (little darting and easy steering but some push) or shapers for riding with the boys. This is my first 4s so the added weight and 144 studs will be new to me. Thanks for any info.

So who has run the Pilots on trails with loose snow on top of hardpack. I hit those conditions alot and thats why I went with Curves. They were a huge improvement in those conditions and steering wasn't bad on my SE Viper. Now on the LE Winder they are a lot heavier on the arms with the softer LE suspension. I'm looking at changing my skis for color reasons only now but considering other options since I'm going to change anyways.

I have 6.9's with 7.5 Shapers and 4"Woodys on outside. Studded center. Powder on top hardpack or ice at speed the whole sled slides. Its a perfect feeling. No oversteer or Push. Very predictable and a AWESOME feeling!

I have 6.9's with 7.5 Shapers and 4"Woodys on outside. Studded center. Powder on top hardpack or ice at speed the whole sled slides. Its a perfect feeling. No oversteer or Push. Very predictable and a AWESOME feeling!
That sounds good, I just wish they had more color options.

Any updates put 6.9s on 200 miles fronts wearing quick modified Yamaha rubber no shims going to shim today Yamaha rubbers very tight didn’t like the way they sit

Back