• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Plush Ride Without Bottoming (MONOSHOCK OWNERS)

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
I just read in the new SNOWTECH magazine that HYGEAR has a new spring kit for the monoshocks in both the Standard apex, and the Ohlins electric shock equiped sleds

it is a Dual Rate spring.. (of course no prices in magazine or on there site)

I think it could be a better setup than the heavier Ohlins 5.5 spring!

(QUOTE) The spring kis is designed to provide more progression to help eliminate bottoming out while keeping the ride plush! With the dual rate spring system it is possible to se teh proper ride height and increase the bottoming resistance deep in the stroke! The kit is available for both the Ohlins electric and kayaba RA shocks!

WWW.HYGEARSUSPENSION.COM

1-607-533-7434

Seems to me that would work very weel on the monoshock. Sort of an M10 approach to bottoming. I think they usually have a booth at the Syracuse snow show. Hope to talk to them there.

Don't know if this parallels or not, but back some years I owned a 1998 SkiDoo Formula Z 670 with the goofy "ARC" AD Boivin inspired suspension that was sort of like a mono-shock setup but with two shocks in the same position side-by-side. Doo had a 2 year run for that suspension on only one model and then it was gone. The reason? Doo got stupid and put straight-rate springs on it against Boivin's recommendation, and thus it was impossible to get it to ride right...was very plush and had nice long travel, but bottomed hard all the time when pushed hard and rode like a pogo-stick. So AD Boivin offered upgraded springs on the aftermarket that were progressive rate. I believe it was about a $120 to $150 kit for two springs and spacers....and it made that skid ride like a dream! Night & day.

So IMO this may be worth considering if you feel you have a problem. For one replacement spring, I wouldn't expect price to be too far out of line, but it's all supply/demand...

Rather than continuing this guessing game, the phone number is right there at the top of this post, so I called and we chatted.

Kit is $299. They are requiring that you mail them your shock. They actually said they have to machine the shock to make the kit fit on the standard models, but for those with Ohlins it will fit as-is, though they want to do the install of the spring themself right now so it's done properly since they don't really have any printed instructions ready yet. No extra charge for the install. It's actually 2 springs set one on top of the other so you get a dual/progressive rate from the two different rated springs.

Then I got a short sales pitch after we chatted some more....

Also in the works from the same company for Attak/Apex but not quite on the market yet...revalving for the rear shocks, remote reserviors for the rear shocks with adjustable damping, progressive rate front suspension springs, and remote reserviors for the front shocks with adjustable damping. Most should be available around X-mas time.

They sound pretty motivated to sell and wiilling to chat, so those of you who may be interested and know more about these sleds than I do should call 'em up. That way you guys can work out the bugs in their new products for me by the time I decide I might want to buy something for mine....

I had Hygear dual and tripple rate springs on my 05 Mach Z. Ride difference was night and day improvement.
Ross is very infomative and helpfull. I will do business with him in the future. If my memory is correct they have chip track, shock dyno, recording equipment for shocks on test sleds.
Customer service was top notch.

IMHO spend your $ on something esle. The mono shock was a great ride once you got it adjusted for your weight and style of riding. Only the serious bump pounders had any real problem.

Studdog - I bet there are more than just a few of them on TY!

I don't want to re-hash an old subject, but does anyone know of a similar spring setup for the pro-action on a Warrior? And do you have any experience with it? I find I only bottom it out on sharp angle changes, like running flat at speed and then a sudden, steep incline and then BANG! I almost never bottom it out on 'mogules'...... Thanks guys. :-o

WarriorBeads said:
Studdog - I bet there are more than just a few of them on TY!

I don't want to re-hash an old subject, but does anyone know of a similar spring setup for the pro-action on a Warrior? And do you have any experience with it? I find I only bottom it out on sharp angle changes, like running flat at speed and then a sudden, steep incline and then BANG! I almost never bottom it out on 'mogules'...... Thanks guys. :-o

Amen brother.. My warrior was great for 98% of the trails.. but when i was really flying and hit a big one.. OOUCH..

The 5.5 spring in my GT is great for not bottoming, but rides alot harser in small and medium bumps compared to stock,, it also rebounds much harder... (kicks up)

The proaction is a better big bump suspension but also heavier. I think they put it in the 07 RTX which is meant tp be a bump riders machine. They were selling 06 RTX's cheap at the end of the season as the mono didn't quite get the job done. All in all the mono is a great suspension for all around riding. IMHO about as good a ride out there with the possible exception of the M 10.

If you want to speak with someone familiar with Hygear get in touch with Boomer/VX7R as they are the ones that did the front dual springs and rear shocks/remote on the VX7R.

Jim

Back